Close

Default Three attempts for a Steel Gear Dizzy

After going back to Advance Auto three different times, they finally produced an 85 Mustang GT steel Dizzy. Same part number on the two previous distributors turned up cast. Watch carefully! Thanks for the advice guys!
    Mike
    79 Coupe, 357W balanced, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, Holley 750, C4 roller, 4.56 8.8 spool, 26 MT Drags, 11.00 @ 123
    83 Mustang GT, 88 GT engine, T5

If you need just the gear in the future, summit sells a steel gear for a duraspark dizzy.
    Glad you got what you needed though!
    Last edited by turbostang500; 06-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    86 stang GT hatchback HX35 turbo project ( Gonna call it done....for now! no numbers yet ) now with a blown T5.

**NEW** 00' F250 4X4 supercab short bed PSD!! Straight piped and on 35's. Hoping for a tuner soon!!

02 mountaineer stock! Fiances' ride

Is this a steel gear? Got mine at NAPA. Just want to be sure before I start my engine.
    Last edited by c391d; 07-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.

I think that is steel. Thought the cast iron gears were a lighter color but i could be wrong.
    86 stang GT hatchback HX35 turbo project ( Gonna call it done....for now! no numbers yet ) now with a blown T5.

**NEW** 00' F250 4X4 supercab short bed PSD!! Straight piped and on 35's. Hoping for a tuner soon!!

02 mountaineer stock! Fiances' ride

Blog Entries

the Advance auto parts store in my home town of Raymond, New Hampshire is blessed with a counter man who actually knows his stuff on these cars. He has an 85? Capri that he has gone the gt40p route with, and now runs edelbrock heads on it. It is sooo nice to not have to explain why I want 97 mountaineer gaskets, some 83 gaskets, a 85 distributor, etc. for an 83 car.I bought my distributor from him- he made sure that it was a steel gear before it went in his car, and I bought it from him for $25 when he changed it out.
    Last edited by brianj; 06-11-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Is this a steel gear? Got mine at NAPA. Just want to be sure before I start my engine.
    The steel gear will be smooth/ machined surface on the top of the gear. The cast gear will be rough looking on top. Also from my understanding a steel gear will be marked sometimes by a purple mark. I can't remember what the cast gear color mark was. If I'm not mistaking, You have a steel gear.
    1981 Mustang Coupe: Rebuilt 91/306, Ported E7's, TF Spring kit, E-303 Cam, RPM Intake, Eddy 1406 Carb, FMS Dual Roller Timing set, March UD pulleys, Summit LT Headers, Summit 2-1/2" Chambered Mufflers w/ 2-1/2" FlowTech H-Pipe/ Flowtubes & 2-1/2" LMR SS Tailpipes. C4 trans with 8.8/ 2.73 Rear.

Quote Originally Posted by c391d View Post

That definately looks like a steel gear. A cast iron gear would have a very 'grainy' surface texture from the surface of the sand mold used to cast it. If you can look at the gear with a magnifying glass or eye loupe - you should see not grainyness and you should be able to see the concentric machining marks on all round surfaces.

All those reman dists are made by one company: Cardone, and their quality control is terrible. Before you install/use that dist check the critical dimension (4.031/4.038) between the gear and the mounting surface of the housing as shown on page one of these instructions:

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...-m-12390-h.pdf
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

I hope it is a steel gear. It is in the car already, just need to get a battery and neg cable to start. NAPA part# was 48-2831. When I zoom in on the photo of the gear I don't see any machining marks though. I did check the length and it was within spec.

Quote Originally Posted by c391d View Post
    . NAPA part# was 48-2831.
    If its a reman I can guarantee its a Cardone.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.