Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy 351w swap flexplate clearance problem

I recently bought a 85 foxbody that was originally a 302 with an aod...I bought the car with only a transmission and no motor so I installed a 1983 351w...after installing the motor it all seemed to bolt up good but when I went to start it up the starter just grinds really loud...I did install the the block plate it I am really not sure what flexplate I used because it was just an old one I had laying around im pretty sure it's a 28oz and it is a 164 tooth...also sometimes it will crank over for just a second and either the starter gear will bind up and not retract or the weight on the flexplate will hit the starter...I bought the starter from O'Reilly'S and it is for a 85 mustang with a 302 and aod so did I get the wrong starter or the wrong flexplate?? Does the 351w swap require a special flexplate?

Thanks

Well, 85s never came with AODs as far as I know, many had C5s.. BUT the AOD should use the 28oz 164 tooth flexplate for the 351w as you stated you used. If you used a smaller flexplate, the starter bendix wouldn't even touch the flexplate. I wonder if it's a starter issue, perhaps they gave you the wrong one.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

From what I have read only the cfi 85 mustangs came with the aod...the c5 is a 3 speed isn't it?

Can you turn it over by hand? I have a 85 vert and its a 3 spd. C3.
    Wondering if you got the converter seated all the way. How much space did you have between the converter and flexplate? Ashamed you don't know which flywheel you installed.
    Last edited by 4EYED85; 06-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Yes I can turn it over by hand but sometimes the starter will hit the weight on the flexplate...I shimed the starter out about a 1/4 on an inch and it helped but the starter still didn't sound good...the transmission pan has "automatic overdrive" stamped into it

What spacer plate is on it and did you have to pull the converter up to the flexplate, or was it tight up against it?

I have no idea what block plate I used...it was aluminum and I had to cut the center of it out to make it fit Because the flexplate was rubbing it pretty bad...and the converter Was pretty tight up against the flexplate...it had a tiny bit of room but not much...I would have Not rigged up all of these parts if would have know this would happen but I had no idea that for made so many diffrent flexplates and block plates

Thanks for the help

No problem, just make sure when you tear it back down to seat the converter, very important.

Does anyone happen to know the part numbers for the block plate and flexplate that I need?

Did this engine come with a balancer on it? Don't know if they will interchange but the 5.0 in the 1982-1995 foxes had 50 oz. imbalance on them. Did your 351 have the balancer already on it?

Yes the Windsor already had a balancer on it when I got it

Do you guys thing that since I had to cut up the block plate to make it fit that maybe the starter just isn't aligned? I had to cut off the starter alignment hole?from what I have read that hole is pretty important

You need to pull the tranny and verify what you got in there.That flexplate will be marked with a p/n, that will tell us what it is. There is a good chance its been messed up in the process anyway. There is no way around not tearing back into it. I don't think the converter is seated anyway, it will push in three different detents. If its not seated the front pump will blow up in the tranny when you start it up and you might do damage to the thrust bearing in the engine.

The auto behind 5.0L Fox Capri/Mustang since '84 was an AOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan85 View Post
    Do you guys thing that since I had to cut up the block plate to make it fit that maybe the starter just isn't aligned? I had to cut off the starter alignment hole?from what I have read that hole is pretty important
    I think it's a damn good possibility.
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

Ok..well I went ahead and ordered a new block plate and a flexplate and I am going to pull the motor and tranny out tonight...I'll let you guys know how everything works after I install the new parts

If it helps any when I swapped over to the 351w I used the stock 83 302 starter and a 157t 28oz flywheel and it fit fine with no shims needed
    1986 mustang coupe 351w svo intake same as performer, hei dizzy, edelbrock performer cam, gear drive, WC t-5, pro 5.0 shifter, aluminum driveshaft, sn95 8.8 w/373's, weld wheels.

1989 Mustang coupe. 87 non HO 302 performer intake 600 holley carb, fms shortys, 94 gt catted hpipe and tailpipes no mufflers. aod, 8 point cage. awaiting a mild gt40 block and paint

1994 Ranger. 97 exploder block and heads, 4 barrel intake holley 600 carb, 89 f150 5 speed, 3:45s out back.

Quote Originally Posted by 86STANGCOUPE View Post
    If it helps any when I swapped over to the 351w I used the stock 83 302 starter and a 157t 28oz flywheel and it fit fine with no shims needed
    This was on a 5 speed, right?

If you cut off the block plate piece where the starter mounts to, that's the whole purpose of the block plate, to shim the starter. You might get away with putting some washers between the starter and bellhousing on the starter bolts to shim it back out for now.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I installed the new flexplate and block plate and when I started cranking on it seemed to be working perfect and the motor fired right up and ran for about 30 seconds and then I turned the key off and when I went to try and start it again it cranked over for a second and then the starter started grinding real bad again and now it won't crank over it just grinds...so what in the heck have I done wrong?

Thanks

As stated above without knowing what actual parts you have installed, it will be difficult to determine what is going on.

I have never installed an AOD behind a 351W in a Mustang, but I did make the swap in my Dad's 89 F150.

IIRC, we ended up using the flexplate and block plate from a mid to late 80's Crown Vic with the 351W and AOD. I know finding the right flexplate was a bit of a struggle at the time.

You definitely need to make sure that you have the correct 28 oz flexplate otherwise you will have major imbalance issues.

The other point made above also that is a great point is the AOD convertor definitely seats 3 seperate times before fully engaged in the transmission. I learned that one the hard way too. To the tune of a front pump, convertor, and a few other transmission parts. If you have already started it, the damage may already be done, but I would highly recommend checking it either way if you are not absolutely positive that you seated it 3 times!

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Last edited by 4EYED85; 06-09-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Yes is far as I could tell it was seated all the way...is there anyway of checking to see if it is seated with the motor and tranny both in the car??also would the torque converter not being seated properly cause the starter to grind?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast