Close

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Update (again) I took a tip from another member and installed a "Sub Panel" near the starter solenoid. This is for the "Always hot" wires , such as KAPWR (pin 1)
    and for the fuel pump relay.

The easiest way to power up the ignition is to tap the white/ blue hash from the Dura spark plug, and use it for the "Keyed Power" for the TFI/coil circuit.

In a further update I will go into what needs to power up the Integrated relay box, and what is keyed and what's not.
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Anything new? I've gone crazy and will be doing a sc swap myself now. Ironically, mine is an '83 GLX as well.

How close are you to getting it running?

To go earlier in your thread, did the longer stroke crank necessitate the girdle?

Your work on the wiring looks vaguely familiar. Vaguely as in I was doing it yesterday.

Name:  20170902_160941.png
Views: 488
Size:  377.7 KB
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Keep up the good work - really nice
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Anything new? I've gone crazy and will be doing a sc swap myself now. Ironically, mine is an '83 GLX as well.

How close are you to getting it running?

To go earlier in your thread, did the longer stroke crank necessitate the girdle?
    No, but I felt that the cast crank could use all the help it could get to prevent breakage.
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

The only update is that my valve covers have deteriorated , and I must powder coat them, so the blower was removed and they are awaiting removal.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

UPDATE: Valve covers are back from Powdercoat, engine has been re-assembled , Fuel regulator tube re-made, and PCV redone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Way to go, man!

My wife has a rotator cuff operation planned. I hope she becomes as gifted after the operation as you have been all through this.

This is so outrageous

Hey man, i'm about 20 miles behind you in the marathon, but I finally got my '89 sc engine on my engine stand today for tear down. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of your build.

I'll be copying you more than just a little bit. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by plstktnkr2 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jnkyrd1
    Not jacking your thread. Just showing GREAT minds think alike.
    Nice job!

Mine will differ in having a full size radiator, and a 3x larger I/C, and no A/C (who needs A/C in a ragtop??? {in the mid-Atlantic} )

BTW just as an update I am assembling the harness onto the engine and wondering does anybody have a diagram for a oil level sensor curuit???

The A/C situation is a mandatory for Arizona, I'd guess.

Things look tight at the firewall where the throttle body and A/Chardware meet.

Q. plstktnkr2

What are Daves best A/C space options? It JUST lookes like the same issue Ford had with the early 2.3 Injecion Turbo, which couldn't be combined with A/C in 1983...I think the Intercooled 1984 SVO revision fixed that.

Dave, You've posted the 4.2 crank and girdle mods....

UPDATE: Valve covers are back from Powdercoat, engine has been re-assembled , Fuel regulator tube re-made, and PCV redone.
    That looks grear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Its glows with Deep Purple Radiant Engery, propelling irrestible force into your Video Display Portal.....mu haha hah haaa

This is what my oil pan looks like. I don't know if they changed over the years for the sc. Mine's an '89.Name:  IMG_3683.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  124.7 KB

I know you had to do some modifications of the oil pan for clearances, did your original pan look like this?

This is what my oil pan looks like. I don't know if they changed over the years for the sc. Mine's an '89.Name:  IMG_3683.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  124.7 KB

I know you had to do some modifications of the oil pan for clearances, did your original pan look like this?
    Yes my pan had Clarence issues. You may (money wise) wish to op for a tubular k member. Makes the job less hassle, but you may need a modded oilpan.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

I was planning on an MM kmember. How about problems with clearancing the girdle? Any problem there?

I was planning on an MM kmember. How about problems with clearancing the girdle? Any problem there?
    It may need some clearance, It has been awhile since mine was apart

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Posts #39 to #52 cover the modifications.

The 1999 F150 4.2 liter sump is what Rick used in the end, not the MN12 3.8 SC pan.

I'll find "carpanmounted.jpg"
    and "truckpanmounted.jpg"

Heres an update for those wanting to run a Main gildle:

The car pan will not clear the girdle, so you will need to modify a truck pan. Here are the differences between the two parts:
    Car Pan:

and the 1999 F150 pan:

The ramp is too steep to clear the car's K member, so it will be modified.
    To be continued...
    Rick

The MN12 sump isn't a straight fit to the 4.2 crank and main girdle due to the extra real estate the gridle takes up.

The alloy sump gan be ground and clearances, and the front section notched, but it'll need a few cuts to get it just right.

Rick had this problem without all the modifications

For the stock K member, this notching via aluminum TIG welding is required

Inside, the stock MN12 SC 3.8 pan revised is like this

Outside, after notching

MN12, Notched 3.8 SC vs stock 1983 3.8 Fox sump

All the great work Rick has done is still on file. I've copied some of his 17 pages of 10 Hole Mafia pictures over so you don't miss out, Dave

Final work on the pan was this.

Rick was able to eliminate A/C, and reposition everything upwards to fit the bigger long stroke 4.2 F150 V6 truck sump after some work.

If you use the aftermarket K member, you can probably keep the A/C and use the bigger sump without repositioning the engine.

Its the stock A/C lines that make the MN12 SC 3.8 to 83 Fox V6 swap the issue.

The post #50 provides the kicker

OK update: stud girdle motors need to have the girdle fit to the pan and oil pickup tube. I have found my engine has to be spaced off the stock mounts 1/2 of an inch due to pan clearance with steering rack, and longer pickup tube made. If you decide to run BBK long tube headers you will need the long o2 extension harnesses
    Reading between the lines, if you have space to raise it 1/2" and still keep your A/C, your golden.

If not, gaining some extra space by keeping the engine in the stock position, and gaining space with an aftermarket MM K member might be your best option.

Rick, sorry I’m taking so much of your thread for my issues. I’ll call MM and see what they think about clearance. I sure would like to keep that stock pan, for some reason I really dig it. Won’t see it much once it’s back in my car, but I’ll know it’s there.

Xctasy, would you mind if we moved our conversation over to my thread? I hate taking up Rick’s thread for my problems. I really appreciate all the time that you’re spending helping me.

Thank you most of all Rick for what you’ve been through and shared. You’ve helped me a lot.

[QUOTE=Davedacarpainter;1864708]Rick, sorry I’m taking so much of your thread for my issues. I’ll call MM and see what they think about clearance. I sure would like to keep that stock pan, for some reason I really dig it. Won’t see it much once it’s back in my car, but I’ll know it’s there.

Xctasy, would you mind if we moved our conversation over to my thread? I hate taking up Rick’s thread for my problems. I really appreciate all the time that you’re spending helping me.

Thank you most of all Rick for what you’ve been through and shared. You’ve helped me a lot.[/QUOTE

Dave your fine, Xtasy , thank you for sharing the info.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Looks like you've been busy. Keep it going. The progress looks great.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

My delight Craig was that was Rick replied that it was okay re sharing his awesome work on "11-11-2017, 11:17 AM"

Armistice Day 2017 in New Zealand, Veterans Day for you all.

Nice numbers, plstktnkr2

Thanks for your work, and good health to you. This build up is really special. Roots blower, spunky iron block V6 with alloy heads, and Plastic Tanker Pilot at the helm.

UPDATE: Well take a step forward and one step back today,lol. Was putting fluids in and found that the radiator (used one) is TOAST. <sigh> but I did manage to get the bushing in for the kickdown (TV) cable.

Name:  kickdown bushing.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  46.7 KB

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Amazing progress, as always.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast