Close

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    xctasy, your inbox is full.

Have to clear it now.Thanx!

Are you sure you want to permanently delete all items in 'Inbox'?
    Yes!

Nice setup Rick! That looks great!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

The taming of the harness has begun, lol
    Rick
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Update: POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
    battery tray is finished and PROPELY INSTALLED, Battery is in, cables attached, Power to the posts up front.

Name:  Battery tray 2.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  Battery tray vent.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  Battery setup done.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  52.2 KB

Remember guys vent that battery to the outside. Hydrogen gas has no place in your car (think of the Hindenburg Airship) seal the hole with silicone.
    Last edited by plstktnkr2; 06-01-2016 at 12:00 AM.
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Quote Originally Posted by plstktnkr2 View Post
    Let me know if you need anything.
    Rick, looks like you're making a lot of progress. I have to go back a few pages to catch up on my reading.

Out of curiosity, what gauge wiring should I use in the engine compartment? I think I'm going to redo the wiring myself, (possibly-still thinking about it), and want to extend the wiring to hide it as much as possible. Are there any wiring templates, (shows color, length, type of connectors, etc.), available? I don't want to use the same color wire for everything, but also am not attempting a restoration quality harness build either.

I considered ordering a wire harness and splicing to lengthen it, but I really do want to avoid that. I'd much rather have "unbroken" wiring under the hood.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

I would use like gauge with like gauge, and the circuits that have the most amp load step up a gauge use an old harness.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

That's what I was thinking, but I have no idea how to identify the gauge associated with a particular wire. Is the wire-gauge rating printed on the wire insulation? I have wire-strippers, but I didn't want to cut a wire in order to check the gauge-range. Is that basically my only option at this point?
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

The gauge can be done by eyeball, a simple set of calipers will do. Look at a wire display in your auto parts store, that will help as well.
    Rick

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

I'll give that a try, Rick. Thank you for your advice.
    Build Thread

Sorry for the slow posts, but the wires take time. Progress is being made.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

I understand. My wife used to build wiring harnesses for medical equipment. I was still on active-duty with the Air Force back in CA.

If I can build a harness template, similar to what she had available back then, I can experiment with different lengths and routing of the wires before trying to build a harness from scratch. I'm going to take a LOT of pictures before I start removing wires.
    Build Thread

I used masking tape to label all the wires(at multiple spots). Even when the wiring was done I left the labels on, has been helpful when making changes later.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

OK . For those following along, the wire marking has begun. The first connector to be addressed is connector C 204 , which is the main connector for the engine functions , such as A/C WOT cut out, A/C throttle solenoid (to raise engine RPM), water temp, oil pressure, A/C fan controller, etc.. the only 2 wires you will need to mate with the body, are the " 31 red with white stripe" oil pressure switch, and the "white with red stripe" (water temp sender ). My car has no A/C system to deal with due to lack of room in the heater hose /evaporator area.

The fusible links are being replaced with new ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    I used masking tape to label all the wires(at multiple spots). Even when the wiring was done I left the labels on, has been helpful when making changes later.

Jess
    This is also something I planned on doing. I have an older "labeling numbers" set that I use. I use it sparingly, because I haven't been able to find any replacement rolls with the numbers. Permanent markers with masking tape, the key-ring labels, or anything else for a marking system will be used. I may do as you're doing and leave the marking system in place for later work.

Thanks for the idea.
    Build Thread

I'm new here, but I have an '83 with an Essex V6 in it. It's carbureted. I've read through your thread and am eager to hear more. So forgive me for being what might seem to be rude, but.

I know it's been slow. Paying work comes first, lol

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Ain't that the truth? One more year of college to go, and I'll be trying to reenter the workforce.
    Build Thread

Working as fast as time and money allow. Dave please start at the beginning , there are things that need modding to fit. feel free to post questions.
    Rick

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Name:  babys ground cable.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  96.6 KBOK Guys and Gals FINALLY an update. I have been sidelined by surgery AGAIN (jan,27) and I have not been able to walk well since November. BUT I am now getting back into things. My update is that I have used a reworked ground cable to replace the factory setup, and it is an EASY fix ! I used a factory ground cable ,cut the battery terminal off and installed an Eyelet of proper gauge, and it will go from ground post (under my fender shield to the core support (factory connection) and the motor mount (factory connection) so This is the cable I fitted, and I will have installed pics as soon as it is installed. It's great to be back outdoors working on my "Baby"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Sorry to hear about the additional surgery, and glad to hear you're getting back at it. Looking forward to some fresh updates Rick.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

UPDATE (sort of) As you all know I made my own ground cable from the ground cable of the donor car, here is the attachment point behind the jump post in my engine bay (outside of drivers apron), and the cable fastens to the body and engine mount bolt per factory Supercoupe. (the red thing in the picture is my horn (ooogah, why be normal?)

Name:  ground cable.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  26.8 KB

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

OK guys and ladies, update time ;

BODY HARNESS: (For the 1983 cars) FAT Yellow wire feeds main panel and starter switch, goes to battery positive.
    Red wire with light blue stripe is the starter solenoid actuator wire.
    Black wire with brown stripe is for horn and dome light circuit.

So far horn works, 4 ways, and engine cranks. now to research electric fuel pump and to power up engine harness.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Update: this system uses a speed sensor for the Dark Green/White for the positive, and the black/ white for the negative. I am going to use a sensor from a 1987 Mustang without cruise control. ( my car doesn't have cruise) .
    Last edited by plstktnkr2; 05-30-2017 at 03:34 PM.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Name:  babys nerves.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  90.6 KBUp date again: make sure you have a "hot all the time wire for pin #1 Keep alive power (KAPWR) and you have a good ground for pin 60 power ground (PWR GRND) doing wires and checking my continuity while I work

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Update (again) I took a tip from another member and installed a "Sub Panel" near the starter solenoid. This is for the "Always hot" wires , such as KAPWR (pin 1)
    and for the fuel pump relay.

The easiest way to power up the ignition is to tap the white/ blue hash from the Dura spark plug, and use it for the "Keyed Power" for the TFI/coil circuit.

In a further update I will go into what needs to power up the Integrated relay box, and what is keyed and what's not.

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast