Close

Default 3.8 firing order?

Regarding a 3.8 V6 in a 1986 convertible. It runs very rough and it doesn’t seem to be getting spark to all cylinders (lots of un-burned gas in the exhaust). The plug wiring doesn’t look right. The service manuals show a firing order of 1-4-2-5-3-6 with #1 at the first terminal counterclockwise of the front cap screw. Is this correct? Is it possible to get a 3.8 running with an incorrect firing order?
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

FEP Senior Member

That sounds correct. How is it wired? Have you changed anything in the ignition system? How old are the components that are on there? Keep in mind Ford numbered them 1-2-3 front to back on the passenger side and 4-5-6 front to back on the driver side. This took me a while to get used to after working on SBC's for years.

Do you have a temp gun to check exhaust manifold temps to try to find a dead cylinder?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Thanks Kevin. Understood 1-2-3 on passenger side. Someone else installed a new distributor. Haven’t checked to see if it is in the proper location. Good idea on the temp gun.
    67 Cougar
    85 Jalepeno Red GT
    85 Bright Red RS
    88 Smoke Grey GT Hatch
    88 Bright Regata Blue GT Hatch
    89 Bright Regata Blue GT Vert

FEP Senior Member

Has it ever run well while you've had it? Have you tried to pull any codes using a multimeter? I would definitely also verify firing order/plug wire placement and then verify the distributor rotor is pointing at cylinder #1 at TDC.

If the ignition module on the distributor is a no-name aftermarket part that is also suspect (although I've heard of issues with Motorcraft modules as well), but usually they will work fine when cold. Is the distributor a reman? I was fortunate to find an old Motorcraft distributor for my '85 when I replaced it a couple of years ago, but I don't know if there are any more left in stock.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire