Close

Default Steering Column Flex

Does anyone else have this problem/issue? I'm tired of the steering column in my car 'jiggling' over hard bumps on the highway and around town. I'd like to be able to make the steering column more rigid, if possible.

Please don't suggest tightening the upper bolts under/near the multifunction switch. I know about that issue and they've been tightened up again recently--they are not the problem I'm experiencing. The entire column has a small amount of movement.

Thanks for the replies,
    Jeremiah
    Last edited by Two86fiveoh's; 06-04-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

It could be your rag joint on the steering shaft. That's in your engine bay causing that movement. I Had a similar problem and after I replaced the rag joint, their was no play. I bought the part off 50resto.com.

FEP Senior Member

I have the same issue.

Was thinking of removing the rubber and plastic split bushing that holds the column and fabbing an Aluminum split bushing to go in its place.

But if the metal structure the column support bolts to is the problem,replacing the rubber/plastic pieces may not solve the problem.

A little experimenting may be in order.

OMR

FEP Senior Member

Jeremiah,
    Here is a pic of what I think is the culprit.The rubber seems a little wore,I tried before to shim the split bushing but still had play in the column.I think the rubber needs to be removed all together.

I will make a split bushing from aluminum tomorrow at work to replace the rubber and plastic pieces.
    This has been bothering me for a while now so I will be interested to see if an aluminum bushing will solve this issue.I also added another bolt where there was only one holding the split collar together,for a little more clamping force and rigidity.(see pic)

I will report back with the results.

OMR

Oldman--I'm curious what your results are, sounds like you're on the same track as I am. Recently I tried to shim the bushings in that clamp with thin rubber on top of the existing rubber, no noticeable improvement. Hopefully aluminum will yield better results. Another brace of sorts nearer the steering wheel is another option I've been considering.
    Jeremiah

Is it a tilt column? Check the bolts where the tilt mechanism is. Mine were loose befor and it made the wheel have excessive movement.

Yes it is a tilt column, the bolts are fine. The ENTIRE column is flexing and moving, it's not just the wheel or tilt mechanism. These steering columns are poorly mounted from the factory IMO. They needed to add atleast one more brace further up the column for it to be amply supported.

OldManRiver knows exactly what I'm talking about.
    Jeremiah

sorry didnt notice the mention of tightening those in the first post

FEP Senior Member

Well,back to square one.
    The split bushing works as it should but still there is quite a bit of column jiggle.Pushing up on the column you can really see the movement down at the firewall.

Now I believe the movement is coming from the top column clamp,the clamp itself is just too thin/weak and allows too much movement of the column.

When I installed a MM STB I had hoped it would help with this very issue by giving the firewall more support,didn't work out that way.

This is my first FoxBody Stang,purchased last fall.Right away,driving home,the column jiggle was something I wanted to address.Some who have driven these cars for years may think nothing of this,but I can't stand it.

Another plan of attack is in order.

I think the only solution will be a 3rd brace further up the column.
    Jeremiah

FEP Senior Member

I have one more thing I want to try to reinforce the clamp.

I need to see how much room is available and then weld some gussets on the inside corners of the clamp to try and strengthen it some.

Looking at where the mounting bolts are located on the clamp,they are just to far out on the edges to properly support the center round portion of the clamp,allowing it to be able to flex.
    I am bound and determined to have a solid feel to the column.

If this doesn't work,like you said,another support will be the way to go.

Keep us updated...this is on my nuisance list that needs to be addressed!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I just pulled the covers off the column to replace the blinker switch and decided to take a look at some possible causes and cures to this issue. As far as I can see the factory upper brace has no appreciable flex, the column simply flexes from the brace on up. There is enough room to mount a 3rd brace, it would have to be at an angle from the factory dash support bracing to the uppermost area of the column.

I think I'm going to get another upper brace (the one with the hood release cable) from a local 90 GT being parted out, and run a brace from it to the dash support. There are several holes in the support I can bolt to, combined with the clamp on support means I can try this without making anything permanent.
    Jeremiah

Anyone figure out a good cure yet?
    Jeremiah

Nope...did you try your extra upper mount idea?
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

FEP Senior Member

I can see the the brace you were talking about were it may be possible to add another column support.It looks as though the dash may need to come out to get some good measurments for the added support.

When I push up and down on the wheel I can definitly see the upper column support flexing,still may try and add some gussets.It's on my list of things to do,it's just that it's down aways on the list.

I need to replace my heater core and will address the added column support at that time,it's just that now's not the time Way to frickin hot here to do anything outside.

OMR

I tried a different kind of support today to see if my idea in concept would work. Rather than using a 3rd brace due to clearance and packaging issues, I decided to make a sleeve to support the column. I cut a 10" piece of pcv pipe in half and clamped it over the column with the top brace--all the rubber was removed from the brace. The support reaches from the back of the wiper harness plug-in to 2" below the top brace.

If the results are positive, then I'm going to use the pcv as a template to make a stronger/better one out of steel with a clamp at the top using bolts.

Took the car for a short drive to see if there was any improvement with the pcv in place. While there is still some flex, there seems to be a noticeable improvement. The column feels more solid in my hands, especially over harder bumps. Commuting to work for a couple days this week will be the true test.

I'll keep this updated.
    Jeremiah

Took the car to work the last two days and the PVC made a bigger difference than I expected. As odd as it may sound, steering feel is better and it feels like the car rides smoother due to the wheel not wobbling in my hands. I'm going to start to look for metal piping that will work for a replacement.
    Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    Took the car to work the last two days and the PVC made a bigger difference than I expected. As odd as it may sound, steering feel is better and it feels like the car rides smoother due to the wheel not wobbling in my hands. I'm going to start to look for metal piping that will work for a replacement.
    Did you ever get this re-done with metal? Can you post some pics if you did? I'd really like to address this on my 85.