Close

Default 1986 v6 cfi to v8 efi swap computer/engine harness question

I've been searching this topic relating to me to many mixed reviews. My main question is do I install an 86 EFI wiring harness that has non mass air of course than retro fit one in with the conversion kits or get lets say an 89 GT stang complete computer/engine harness that has mass air. I need pros and cons, instructions, etc. Oh yeah I'm not carbing it.

Welcome to FEP!

I would HIGHLY recommend that you try to find an underhood EFI harness set from a 1986 5.0L Mustang. In that case your electrical conversion should be 100 percent plug/play. A harness from any other year Mustang (ie 87-93) will require EXTENSIVE wiring modifications and splicing to your existing hanesses to work. If the engine you are installing is fairly stock I would set it up with the stock 86-88 speed density setup and see how it runs. I you need to you can always add mass air metering later as the wiring/mods are fairly simple.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

I figured as much. One question I have an 87 EFI Lincoln Mark 7 computer laying around, My engine is coming out a 95 Mustang GT. Will the computer work or do I need an 86 EFI donor.

Not sure I understand your question. The 95 Mustang engine has a different wiring harness attached to it. You will need an engine harness from any 86-93 Mustang 5.0L. As I said in the earlier post you will also use a 86 specific main EEC underhood harness. The O2 harness can be from any 86-93 5.0L Mustang but these harnesses are transmission specific (auto or manual trans). You will then use a speed density (SD) computer from any 86-88 (non-CA for 88 only) 5.0L Mustang.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

I'm just using the motor and changing the timing cover from the 1995 GT. But you answered my question.

Get a 87 5.0 computer, they were the best speed density, and the 86 EFI harness as mentioned.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Follow the link in this thread for CFI to SEFI conversion goodness. Only thing is... It's my LTD LX
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Looks good Marz. Time and patience. Now I'm on the right track are the power relay and the 8 pin connector of the wiring harness next to the computer? Kinda tight in there wanna make sure I'm looking in the right spot.