Close

Default Subframes, Lowering Springs, etc.

Well still havent gotten rid of the car, and with my new job I am making enough money to finally piddle with the car. I am wanting to order subframes and lowering springs. I hate the way the car feels/rides now, even though I will miss hooking from the hole with these springs after I lower it.

Anyway, does anybody have brand preferences here? i was considering Max Motorsport for Subframes(http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=580)

I am was also considering ordering a set of SVE lowering springs, or which ever set yall advise. Springs I am not too picky with.

As for the subframe connectors, think it is worth the extra effort and cash for full length or standard?

Thanks for opinions in advance

- Ryan
    1986 Mustang GT T-Top 105k Miles. Grey Int. H/C/I 306 (Afr 185, RPM II Intake, X-303)

Let's admit it, Fox's are an addiction.

Maximum Motorsports are an excellent choice.

I have SpinTech subframe connectors on my GT with BBK specific rate lowering springs.

'85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Right on Right onn. I don't assume that brand means tooo much for lowering springs but figured id ask.
    & Just since Max Motorsport is cheaper than Spintech, I think ima stick with them.
    Did you notice a big difference in the way the car felt after installing the subframes? I wanna throw on my strut tower brace when I get the subframes too. Just gotta drill some holes in the strut tower and firewall for the brace. Think the strut tower brace will make much of a difference also??
    1986 Mustang GT T-Top 105k Miles. Grey Int. H/C/I 306 (Afr 185, RPM II Intake, X-303)

Yes. I definitely felt a 'seat of the pants' difference. I also have the MM strut tower brace & 4 point K-member brace. The car is so much tighter than it was in factory form.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Cool cool. glad to hear it, gives me more faith in the money im spending lol!
    I know my car could use some stiffening and chassis help in general. I know also that the car was used on the strip only for a while as a weekend racer and a bit of a street car. I just found out recently that this car actually was ran on slicks only at the track, and that is with the 150 Shot that was bolted on when I got the car.. Needless to say, its time for some chassis help. Judging by my transmissions condition, I can fairly confidently say the car hard some hard launches in its past lol.

Torque box on driver side needs help too :/ little weird bendage goin on it looks? unless the Coupe's boxes are different than the Hatchbacks(even though its been a WHILE since ive seen under a hatchback...)

Either way, now I cannot wait to see what kind of difference it makes! Maybe after this and a new set of speakers/audio system in the car, I will wanna keep it more haha!

I just did Eibach Pro Kit springs and MM full length subframes in my SVO and they are both awesome! Love the difference in how the car feels and handles...

FEP Power Member

I have had good results with the MMFL subs, Eibach pro-kit springs, and Energy suspension isolators . Adding a good strut tower brace will also help.

Use proven, quality parts, do it right the first time and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by DeraldRice; 05-30-2012 at 12:42 PM.

FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

I just installed the standard MM ones and they fit well and were properly made.

I figured i didn't need full length for the driving I do. But I noticed a huge difference in ride and feel. Going over bumps is easy now and it feels great.

Why I didn't do these earlier.....

I have B-springs ready and a brake up-grade in the works...just need some time.....

-j

I installed 1x2 .120 Wall mild steel tubing and made my own frame connectors, the bends were easy enough to do, and once welded into place, look no diffrent than any of the other bought products out there. I do like Maxum products, they work quite well

I like the Eibach and BBK kits for springs. B springs and the specific rate Racecraft springs were very stiff for the street IMO. I'd stick with a progressive rate spring. Consider some matched shocks as well, new stiff springs won't fare well with old crappy shocks.

MM SFCs are a good choice, many many track cars run those. They are proven.

STB, eh, if you have it. Mine was not a noticeable improvement. And this is from laptimes at a local track. If you are spending money, go with the 4 point G-Load brace. That one makes a serious difference.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

I cant wait to do this now and get in and drive it. Lol. I need to get a nice bushing kit and what not along with new struts when I do it. Just get a new front end basically. Mine is thrashed

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeraldRice View Post
    I have had good results with the MMFL subs, Eibach pro-kit springs, and Energy suspension isolators . Adding a good strut tower brace will also help.

Use proven, quality parts, do it right the first time and enjoy the ride.

I have the same and I am very satisfied.
    85 GT vert

IMO on these cars you want all the strength you can get with a set of SFC's. I have MM full length on my car, and they did a tremendous job of tightening the car. I wouldn't want to go with anything less/weaker.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Subframe connectors are a must on these cars. I couldn't believe the difference they made on my 85 and I just had BBK standard length connectors. I welded in some Kenny Brown connectors in the Capri a few weeks ago. Someday I'll get to see how they work. I agree on the B springs being harsh for the street and the strut braces not doing much. But I also noticed a big difference with the 4 point K member brace. I'll be doing that again for sure.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650