Close

FEP User

Default New brakes - bearing question

Hey guys,

I went to replace my front struts on my 83 Capri RS and noticed that my rotors were scored on the inside.

I have new struts, calipers, rotors, pads and flex lines on order.

What do I do with the wheel bearings? I planned on reusing the old wheel bearings but I am now wondering if I should just replace them? I damaged the seal taking them out, so I need a new seal at a minimum. My questions is, will the new rotors come with the bearing races in them? If not, do I have to buy new bearings and races and have a machine shop press them in?

Also, after replacing the front struts, do I have to get a wheel alignment?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

If you are taking things apart and don't know how long the bearings have been on there - replace them as they are cheap. Same for dust seals.

Sorry but I cannot answer the question about what comes with the rotor.

From what I remember the last time I did my bearings (and if the Capri is the same setup as the 83 Mustang), you can put them in and take them out yourself. You just need a good drift and some patience.

It is a case of coming through from the back and tapping a drift (brass shaft - even a long bolt) around the bearing in order to knock it out evenly. You don't want it to come out on an angle or you will wedge it in there and potentially damage the hub where it sits.

Be methodical and don't use the biggest hammer you can find
    '83 GT T-top, RHD, JG-33 360ci, IRS (in progress)
    '51 F1, hot rod (in progress) - need 400M!!

I am in Australia and do not have access to the parts or junkyards that most others in the USA have. Parts may be obtained from the USA but shipping them can be a hassle for everyone - and expensive - so I need to do things right the first time

FEP User

Default Almost there - more questions

I went and got the new bearing and seals and the new rotors came with the races already installed, so they saved me a headache. What I am wondering is how freely should the rotor spin with the new bearings and grease? My old rotor spun very freely, minimal effort and it would spin several times. The new rotors spin smoothly, but it takes a bit more effort to get them spinning. Is this because the new wheel bearing grease actually has some stick to it? The old stuff on the old rotors and bearing was like water.

Thanks again

Jeff

The new bearings will be tighter and new grease will be thicker so the result will be a smooth but firm turn. With the old bearings being worn as well as the grease being thinner, I believe the rotor will spin more freely. This is also because the ball bearings are loose in the race.

Exactly correct.
    The new bearings and grease will not spin up as easily or go for as long but they will be smooth and that is the important thing.
    Just be careful to not overtighten the bolt onto the stub axle as that will wear the bearings out quicker than anything.
    It is something that goes by touch. You can nick up the bolt and feel the hub tighten right up and you can loosen it and feel a rattle. It is a judgement call to determine the best place for where it should sit.
    '83 GT T-top, RHD, JG-33 360ci, IRS (in progress)
    '51 F1, hot rod (in progress) - need 400M!!

I am in Australia and do not have access to the parts or junkyards that most others in the USA have. Parts may be obtained from the USA but shipping them can be a hassle for everyone - and expensive - so I need to do things right the first time