Close

Default manual trans with auto pcm

I am running a 78 Zephyr that I converted to SEFI. The donor car was a 87 Lincoln LSC. I'm running a T5 trans. Now I want to upgrade to MAF, and use a manual Pcm. The supplier of the MAF conversion kit says the pcm may be damaged if used with the harness from the lincoln. I don't get it. I see that there are some minor wiring changes required as a result of the maf conversion, but nothing different than if i were converting a speed density manual computer. Am I missing something?

The maker of the conversion is just trying to cover his butt. You will be fine. Ford 60 pin EEC-IV connectors are almost all the same in their pinout connections.
    The Fleet:

'79 Fairmont Boxtop: The turbo-box
    '79 Fairmont Boxtop: The wife's car. 200/auto, factory sunroof.
    2010 Chevy Silverado: The DD/Tow rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Box View Post
    The maker of the conversion is just trying to cover his butt. You will be fine. Ford 60 pin EEC-IV connectors are almost all the same in their pinout connections.
    That is not exactly true. Although all EEC-IV systems use the same 60 pin connector at the ECU the ECUs themselves internally are different and additionally the wires going to certain pins at the ECU were changed over the years. So although you can physically connect ally EEC-IV ECU not all ECUs are electrically compatible with all years/models harnesses. Mustang mass air ECUs definately have a difference between auto trans (ie A9P) and manual trans (ie A9L).

The key question is: what mass air ECU are you going to use after your mass air conversion and what year/model EEC harness set are you using?
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Here is what he is telling me. I am going to have to look at my wiring diagrams to decipher a little more thoroughly, but gotta go to work now.

"Ford used a different NGS circuit for each transmission type. Although, both the manual and automatic signals arrive at the same pin location of the PCM, variations exist in the jumper of the O2/Low Oil sensor female connector on the intermediate harness (see attached figures). Automatic equipped vehicles feature a purple/yellow jumper, joining pin 1 and pin 2 in the bottom row, when viewed from the front. Manual applications have a blue/yellow jumper that bridges pin 1 in the top row to pin 1 of the bottom row. You may install a manual PCM only if pin 2 in the bottom row is relocated to pin 1 of the top row."
    Name:  harness.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  16.6 KB
    Name:  O2 Sensor Auto vs. Manual.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  15.2 KB

That info regarding the NGS is correct. The NGS circuit is very important as it signals the ECU at to when the vehicle is in gear (load) or neutral (no load). Since this is a EFI conversion can you tell what harness set (year/model) are you using? Be very specific for both the EEC harness (the one with the 60 pin conn on it) and the O2 harness.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Both harnesses are from the donor car, 1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC. Although it may have been a 88.