Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1979 Cobra Package Alternate

Cobra Package Alternate - available only with black exterior paint and interior trim, includes green exterior accents in place of standard red.
    I'm trying to figure out a way to positively ID this package, even if it has been "faked". I believe I know how to ID one, but I need to see a lot more door tags, bucks tags, build sheets, windows stickers, owner cards, etc. from '79 Cobras with Black (1C) exterior paint and Black (_A) interior trim. I need to see those tags/stickers/sheets/etc from both Dearborn- (VIN code 9F...) and San Jose-built (VIN code 9R...) cars.

Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

OK I was told (maybe by you) that I had an original black/black/ black with green Cobra.

Vin 9F03F340848

61R B4R RA A 7 C Y 5mmmm
    1979 Mustang Cobra 2011 Coyote 5.0, 8.8 w/3.73, PA C4.
    2010 Taurus SHO Livernois tune, Eibach Pro-Kit, Magnaflow, Airaid.
    2007 Escape 3.0 V6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFORD8 View Post
    OK I was told (maybe by you) that I had an original black/black/ black with green Cobra.

Vin 9F03F340848

61R B4R RA A 7 C Y 5mmmm
    Still have the buck tag for the car? Can you take a pic of it and of the door tag? If you cannot take/post pics can you type out the codes on the buck tag, and tell me what the date and the DSO is on the door tag? Thanks.

It looks like it is indeed a Cobra Package Alternate.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I will try to hunt mine down.

Who all here on FEP has one, or thinks they might have one?

Any door tags, buck tags, build sheets, etc. to post?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Any door tags, buck tags, build sheets, etc. to post?
    I'm sorry. I looked and have yet to find mine.
    Last edited by JTs Bikes; 06-05-2012 at 12:41 AM.

WOULD MY BLACK GREEN STRIPPED 79 R/S INFO HELP YOU ON THIS MATTER? AND WHY HAS NO ONE BOUGHT THIS DAMN THING FROM ME YET. ITS A MOON 4 CYL TURBO 4 SPEED. PM ME SO I DONT FORGET TO GET IT IF YOU WANT IT QUICKLY. PEACE OUT 4 EYES.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by PIGBOY View Post
    WOULD MY BLACK GREEN STRIPPED 79 R/S INFO HELP YOU ON THIS MATTER?
    It might. Depend on a couple of things:

1. If there is a MLDG code on your door tag
    2. If you have a build shete and if there are any codes for Bodyside Mouldings Type & Color and for Accent Stripe Color.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Still have the buck tag for the car? Can you take a pic of it and of the door tag? If you cannot take/post pics can you type out the codes on the buck tag, and tell me what the date and the DSO is on the door tag? Thanks.

It looks like it is indeed a Cobra Package Alternate.
    Can do. Where do I find the buck tag?

What are you saying, I should have kept the original motor, trans and tried to restore to stock?
    2007 Escape 3.0 V6

OK see if these work, if not I can write down the buck tag.

2007 Escape 3.0 V6

Buck tag is way too blurry to see so yeah, please type out the codes, or try another pic. Thanks.

The one thing on the Dearborn buck tag -- the San Jose buck tags are still a mystery -- that I was thinking would indicate a Cobra Alternate Pkg doesn't appear to be so. It's still looking like there is a code on the door tag though.

Buck tag is way too blurry to see so yeah, please type out the codes, or try another pic. Thanks.
    OK it is hard to read in person, if a letter or number looks wrong let me know and I will look again. Here is what I think it reads

340848 61R MR 1007
    1C A DF TT M
    AC H8 DRM
    OBR WOM MOD 3
    C 4 6 DCR
    2007 Escape 3.0 V6

Thanks for the update. I can figure it out from what you typed.

H8 is HB (heated backlite , i.e. rear defrost)
    OBR is CBR (Cobra Package)
    WOM is WQM

Looks like the (Dearborn) Alternate buck tag has the same code as the regular Cobra.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Let me know if you have any questions, it is hard to read in person.
    2007 Escape 3.0 V6

Is that buck tag located just above the drive-side bumper support/shock?

Is that buck tag located just above the drive-side bumper support/shock?
    It is kinda the bumper support. It is drivers side, upper support on the outside (radiator is on the inside). I can take a photo further back so you can see the exact location.
    2007 Escape 3.0 V6

Smile 1980 cobra buck tag

Hi,guys new here....
    I was wondering the same thing,How do I tell for sure?
    On my buck tag in the lower right hand corner it says "cobra"
    Hope this helps.....

"COBRA" on the buck tag, as opposed to the abbreviation "CBR", would mean the car was built at San Jose Assembly, i.e, the VIN begins with 0R03... (R = San Jose Assembly)

Cobra Package Alternate was for 1979 only, as far as I'm aware anyway. Neither 1980 nor 1981 factory literature mentions anything about that package.

Can you post a pic of your buck tag, door tag, build sheet, owner card, window sticker, etc.? Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Darn, thought we would figure out DF, ST, M, WQM by now
    Last edited by gr79; 12-02-2012 at 02:27 AM.

For the purposes of this thread I'm looking specifically for data from 1979 Cobras with black exterior and interior, but I welcome data from ALL cars.

I have one,79 black on black with green , I think you have seen my door tag, my buck tag is MIA. let me know if I can help!

I bought a 79 Cobra last year that is black on black with the remnants of green stripes. The twin pinstripes in the molding are lime green. It has all original parts, although some yahoo put a 69 Mach 1 spoiler on the hatch. V8 with a manual transmission. I will try to post some pictures of the door/buck tags if that will help. I also bought, along with the Cobra a 79 Pace Car. If you'd like I will include pictures of the Pace Car door/buck tags. The Pace Car started out life with a turbo 2300 and a manual but now has a 347 stroker and T5.

First, welcome to FEP!

Yes, I'd like to see the door and buck tags from both. If you want to post the PC tags in the PC forum, that'd be great. Of if you want everything decoded, you can put everything in one thread n the Decoding forum. I'll have my standard questions of course (mileage, options, etc.) before I decode. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast