Close

Default Ranger brake question

hello everyone. I know there is a really detailed ranger front brake swap thread in here....BUT dam if I can find it. If some one knows where it is and could give me a link it would be great. I need to put 5 lug on an 86 and I don't want to swap the spindles. I believe ranger brakes are a direct swap bear and all? just might need to modify the brake pad or caliper? Any help would be great

Thanks
    John

The ranger rotors from the first gen rangers are a direct swap, YOu need to use the bearings for your car, no other modifications are needed, just swap the rotors.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

'82-'92 Ranger front rotors, may be the same as Aerostars

Centric 120.65014 10.28" rotor.

SKF BR12 Outer Bearing

SKF BR5 Inner Bearing

I think Timkin/National/etc just use an 'A' rather than 'BR' but I'm too lazy to look it up. Should be the same numbers IIRC.

Rear drums are 9" drums off a '82-'92 Ranger/'84-? Aerostar
    Centric 120.65023

LEFT Ranger axle, and a RIGHT Aerostar axle.

Or you can skip that yarde scrounging and purchase new axles/drums.

Ford FRPP/SVT/SVO yadda yadda. M-1126-A This is the two rear 'Ranger' axles and drums.

Or you can purchase the axles however which way from whatever your preferred company is and have at it.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

thanks guys....i have a 5 lug 9 inch out back so i was just trying to swap the front

Quote Originally Posted by bagel77 View Post
    thanks guys....i have a 5 lug 9 inch out back so i was just trying to swap the front
    What size drums and wheel cylinders does the 9" have?

The 9" was used on larger and heavier vehicles 11" drums with 1" wheel cylinders are common on the big Fords.

Even the butt heavy Fairmont wagons only used 10" drums and 13/16" wheel cylinders. Mustangs used 9" dums and 3/4" wheel cylinders.

Anything larger than the Fairmont drums/wheel cylinders will create a rear biased brake system that may be dangerous for stopping. In normal light braking you may never notice it, but under hard braking the rears would lock up causing the car to spin.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

well To be honest I am not sure...It is really helping my neighbor out. I mean the brakes are working well to stop him on his drag runs so far. It is an 86 with a mild 460...running 11.6 but that wasn't dialed in.

Found this a while back. I've heard of guys having problems running the stock bearings. I used these bearings and everything worked out great.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...ated-info.html
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com