Close

Default asc coupe questions

I would like to know what it is that makes these car so desirable. Dont get me wrongI think they look amazing but is the motor, trany, suspenion, interior any different then lets say a RS?
    1979 Ghia Gone to Mustang Heaven
    1980 Capri someday I'll finish this car?
    1981 Mustang ttop that I'm making a PC replica
    1993 Mustang convertible
    1998 SVT Contour DD
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

If they are original, they have different coil springs, Ford "C' I believe, carrera shocks, so they do handle better but I think its the looks and the rarity of these cars that makes them more desirable. Even so, they're not that desirable because you see the ones for sale that come up take forever to sell. Not many people will pay over 7500 for any fox body right now.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

Quote Originally Posted by mercaprirs View Post
    I would like to know what it is that makes these car so desirable.
    Like Fonzie, they're just Cool!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdrivinrebel View Post
    Like Fonzie, they're just Cool!

Fonzie was the coolest NERD that ever existed.

Jason

Gotcha Ive liked the style. Just didnt know why special? So would it be correct to say they are close to the saleen mustang?
    1993 Mustang convertible
    1998 SVT Contour DD
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

when parked side by side it is safe to say it would be close to a saleen other wise no.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

I thought that the saleen in the begining was styling, suspion, and brakes? What would make it better then the asc?
    1993 Mustang convertible
    1998 SVT Contour DD
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

Couple things at the top of the list. The mustang is much more popular and known. Steve Saleen is much more known than Peter muscat. It's amazing to me how many people never heard of an ASC/Mclaren. Those are the two biggest reasons.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

Ok just curious thanks everyone. I eas only asking because Ive alway thought they looked tuff and I'm just starting to look for a new toy for the garage. Thanks. Oh one more thing the euro coupe. Is the only thing differnt there the color?
    1993 Mustang convertible
    1998 SVT Contour DD
    1984 Mercury Capri RS

Eurocoupes were the low budget version of the full package coupes. But many Eurocoupes got full package parts since the builders at asc were high school kids and couldn't tell the two versions apart.

Year for year asc far outsold Saleen. But you never hear about them since they didn't go the performance route. asc cars had much more effort put into their styling than Saleen.

-Mike

For me, I had ordered an '85 GT and came home on leave to pick it up. I'd never heard of McLaren.

The Teamsters went on strike and I couldn't get my GT. Mad, I went out with my buddy and as he's telling me about a car his brother-in-law just test drove, a Coupe went sailing by. We flagged the )snotty) kid down and he explained how you had to know somebody to get one.

Yeah? Next day I I was in the dealer and the only reason I didn't drive it out that very day was I had it rustproofed and that took a day.

In the end, I really came to love the car because it was so unique and looked far, far more expensive than it was. It was as if ASC finished a car Mercury refused to. I liked how much quicker iot was due to the better tires and better gear ratio made by the lower profile 50s.

That car was stolen the very next summer right after I again came home and took it out of storage. I couldn't get another '85 and looked high and low for a blue '86, but the blue had changed and I ended up with grey. It never appealed to me as much as that '85 and now, finally, I have another '85--and it's also a Flip Roof car, like my '86.

Now, if I could just get into those 30" waist pants and comb my (now missing) hair like it's 1985!