Close

Question Are My Rotors Facing Wrong?

Did a search and found rotors with slots facing front and aft. So which way should the slots on rotors face once installed? For example: Driver's Side = slot rotating to the Right or Left?

Slot's don't matter. Wilwood goes forward and backwards, Powerslot goes forward.
    ATE uses a star pattern.

If the veins inside are directional you want to pull heat away. If they are straight it doesn't matter.
    1969 Corvette 496 Roadster, Gas Guzzler
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

Question

So which pic is correct for the slotted rotors?

It's kinda a religious issue, some like it one way, some like it the other. To me, since slots
    are supposed to give dust and outgassing a place to go, it makes more sense to have the
    slots sweep toward the outside of the rotor, rather than toward the inside.

But I have no hard data to back that up, so it's just opinion. I prefer to run plain rotors...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

This may help:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_pro...all_rotors.htm

It doesn't reference non-vented rotors though. But that last pic looks backwards if you ask me.
    85 McLaren Capri Coupe -Blue/orange, 5 spd, sunroof

05 GT -5 spd, Supercharged

The Tories may be marked for the correct side they are supposed to go on but some people get left and right mixed up when it comes to replacement parts. Not to soy.d mean but I had an older gentleman arguing with me about the left and right issue, so I asked him where his left front turn signal was and he pointed to the driver front of the car. So I then asked him how that was the right side of the car. Anyway the rotors should be marked with an L or R, or with directional arrows.
    82 GT t-top
    351w E7 heads ported
    1.94/1.50 valves
    512 lift hydro flat tapped cam
    750 holley dbl pump
    T5 trans
    3:27 posi
    BIG THANKS TO Mike, Chad, and Chris.

The front looks correct to me. The rear rotor appears backwards to me. I can't guarantee it's correct, but it appears the part number on the rotor has a L at the end. If the other side has an R at the end, then you know for sure they are on backwards.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Exclamation

This is how I have mine on:

Question

Looks like I might need to swap them so the rotors slots are rotating towards the rear. Is that correct?

Presuming those last two photos are the driver side of the car, I would have those rotors
    on the passenger side.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Member

The pics you have, the first pic is correct the second one is wrong. Swap the rears.

Question

Thanks, So first pic in post # 3 is correct? I will be swapping them tomorrow for sure. Hope you can understand why I placed them the way I did.
    Last edited by racerxmd; 05-18-2012 at 07:56 PM.

If it's a vented rotor the actual cooling vanes between the friction surfaces might be directional. If they aren't directional the machined slots can go either way but it's more traditional for the pattern to sweep outwards. I've heard some claims that if you go the other way you get more "bite" from the pads. Interestingly enough I recently noticed some late model BMW's with stock slotted and drilled rotors use the same part number for left and right rotors. So one side would be sweeping inward and the other outward. I haven't had a chance to look closely at a 1M coupe since I noticed that in the BMW parts program but it seems that's how it would be. And that's a car which is basically set up for track use out of the box.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Exclamation

O.K. I removed my front wheels Again to check for any markings of arrows or left/right on the rotors. What I found was that my Aerospace Heavy Duty Front Brakes that are Vented/Drilled/Slotted had small arrows showing the correct rotation on the outer surface area of the rotors. I had second guessed my first install which turned out to be correct. The rotors show a rotation arrow pointing towards the front of car. Which makes since, because you want the heat to be Pulled Away from calipers instead of Pulling Towards the Calipers. Thought this might be helpful to someone. Sometimes you over look the small things. Be Safe!