Close

Thread: Big Brakes

Default Big Brakes

What are the biggest brakes that I can fit on my car. I'm using 1989 5.0 spindles ?

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eastyorkstang View Post
    I'm using 1989 5.0 spindles?
    I don't know, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I don't know, are you?
    I am !

FEP Senior Member

The stock '87-'93 GT brakes are 11" which is an upgrade over the earlier 10" front brakes. A lot of the aftermarket kits will require changing to the SN95 spindle and five lugs. For the rears you can run 87-88 Turbo Coupe 10" discs with some work. Keep in mind there is more to it than just throwing whatever brakes you can find on it and going to town. You need to think the system through in terms of front/rear balance and size your master cylinder appropriately. You will most likely need an adjustable proportioning valve so you can adjust the front/rear bias.

Some may disagree, but I think if you want to make life easier on yourself in the long run you should consider doing a five lug swap. That opens up a lot of options for you (stock GT/V6 front and rear discs, Cobra front and rears, monster aftermarket systems, etc.), but the initial cost will be higher because suddenly you need new wheels (and probably tires) and everything else to make it happen.

Also keep in mind that whatever brakes you run need to fit under the wheels that you have or plan to have.

if I were you I would spend some time reading in the Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension forum. There is plenty of good information in there.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

If you wanna spend $1500-2000 wilwood makes larger bolt on brakes for anything.

Most people opt for 5 lugs instead.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    The stock '87-'93 GT brakes are 11" which is an upgrade over the earlier 10" front brakes. A lot of the aftermarket kits will require changing to the SN95 spindle and five lugs. For the rears you can run 87-88 Turbo Coupe 10" discs with some work. Keep in mind there is more to it than just throwing whatever brakes you can find on it and going to town. You need to think the system through in terms of front/rear balance and size your master cylinder appropriately.
    Will the SN95 spindle change the track width ? If so by how much ?

Depends on what the car you put it in has now, which spindles you get (94-95 or 96-04) for it. Oh, and which k-member or car you have.

If you are upgrading from 10" spindles to 11" spindles, it will push the wheels out and you will need an alignment.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/te...4_spindle.aspx
    Maximmotorsport has a very good tech section on here and shows most of the parts u will need. I just finished my sn95 swap last weekend. I found u can not use our struts and need 87 to 93 style. They bolt up to an 95 spindles. I tried making spacers out of 1/8th inch bar stock. Bolt holes don't match up. Also u need to trim the ears on the sn95 spindles if u use pbr 2 piston calipers from 99 style. It was very easy to do. Lmr has a good install video on the 5 lug swap. I found measuring and adjusting properly brake booster push rod was the hardest part of the whole swap for me. I used the custom brake lines sold by mm. A lot easier than all the adapter kits out there. I used 95 gt master cylinder. Wilwood proportion valve. Bolts to stock brake lines on firewall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

This might be a good thread to follow along with if you are staying 4-lug.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Upgrade-Thread

This is a good thread to start out with if you are thinking you want to go 5-lug.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...version-Thread

I say start out with because there is some confusing information in there (at least i thought it was). I spent a lot of time reading and searching in the brake/suspension forum before deciding what to do. The good news is that a lot of people have already done the experimentation so there are a lot of tried and true formulas you can go with. The MM link above also has some excellent information as well. Whatever you do, just sit down and make a game plan of what you want to do with the entire system before you just start buying parts.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire