Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    That somewhere was NOT the Ford Shop Manual.
    No biggie.
    It hasn't hurt a thing.

Sending unit seal is now leaking. Ordered a new one from Amazon. The factory one is stretched out and doesn't seal properly.
    1979 Fairmont 4dr
    302/4R70W
    Optishift controller
    8.8"

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeraldRice View Post
    These grommets used to be dealer only. Now they are avaiable aftermarket.

79-81:http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...r-Neck-Grommet

82-97:http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...r-Neck-Grommet
    Those Mustang filler neck seals are not correct for Fairmont
    I know this is an ancient thread/post, but this is one that came up as I was trying to figure out what seal I needed for my '82 Zephyr gas tank. LMR still offers those seals that DeraldRice posted, and I ordered one of the 9072A ones (which, from what I've determined, meant it would be the smaller diameter version). I also found the Ford part by inputting my vehicle information on fordpartsgiant.com (presumably one could do the same on other Ford parts websites) and ordered a seal from them. What I received from fordpartsgiant.com is F4ZZ-9072-DA, which you will find listed for all sorts of FoMoCo vehicles - Mustangs, Town Cars, F/Zs, trucks, etc etc.

As far as I can tell (by visual inspection and vernier caliper), the reproduction LMR seal and the OE Ford seal are identical. I'm not sure what prompted TWR2003's comment that the LMR seals are not correct for a Fairmont, but it would appear that his comment was incorrect. The LMR seal is installed on the tank now, since I received that one first. It'll be a week or two before the tank goes back in the car and actually gets filled with gas, so maybe at that point I'll find that the LMR seal doesn't work, but I don't see how that could be the case since it's the same as the OE Ford part.

I used an aftermarket seal on my LTDs gas tank, forgot which company. Ran it for about 6 months and had to drop the tank to install a high flow pump, the inner seal was already ripping....

Always go OEM Ford!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post

As far as I can tell (by visual inspection and vernier caliper), the reproduction LMR seal and the OE Ford seal are identical. I'm not sure what prompted TWR2003's comment that the LMR seals are not correct for a Fairmont, but it would appear that his comment was incorrect. The LMR seal is installed on the tank now, since I received that one first. It'll be a week or two before the tank goes back in the car and actually gets filled with gas, so maybe at that point I'll find that the LMR seal doesn't work, but I don't see how that could be the case since it's the same as the OE Ford part.
    What TWR was saying is that the Mustang seal sold at LMR is not for a 1979 Fairmont - as described by the OP in his 2012 post - which would have a 2-1/4" filler pipe. The LMR seal is for a 2" filler pipe which later F/Z and LTD, etc, had.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul1958; 02-03-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1958 View Post
    What TWR was saying is that the Mustang seal sold at LMR is not for a 1979 Fairmont - as described by the OP in his 2012 post - which would have a 2-1/4" filler pipe. The LMR seal is for a 2" filler pipe which later F/Z and LTD, etc, had.

Paul
    LMR has both. I'm pretty sure the Mustang made the same change to a smaller filler neck in 1982 as the Fairmont did. So, the '79-81 grommet will work on a '79 Fairmont.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

^^^ Exactly.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12