Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You called?!

I didn't reread the entire thread, so IIRC, you are using the North Race Car brackets right?

If so, it might be worth a call to them. I have not used their brackets for a conversion, so I am not the best help there. When I have done all of my conversions, I have not had to add washers between the caliper and the bracket. In fact, I would rather not due to the load there at that mounting point, but I am sure if done correctly it would be fine.

It looks to me, as if you bracket and caliper mount are fine, but your bolts are too long. I would shorten the bolts or find shorter new bolts. It might be the angle of the picture, but it appears you are close to centered, but off slightly.

If that is the case, I would check with North Race Car again about the setup if that is what you have. Otherwise, I suppose you could place a washer between the (black) axle mount and the axle flange to move the whole assembly further inboard. I would prefer a full spacer so you disperse the load over a larger area rather than directly on the bolts, but I do tend to over engineer things.

Let me know if I am on the right track or at least your track.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

no, I'm using the ford racing brackets with the cutout to fit over the axle. I like the spacer idea, might make one out of my old backing plate (or at least use it as a template). And I bought the bolts longer on purpose. the anti-moan brackets will take up the space there, not to worry. ...how did I know somebody would see that!

Other question: homeade hubcentric spacer? I read someone made one out of a piece of pipe but cant find it. ???
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

Looks like you're on the right track, except for your footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by edman1000 View Post
    no, I'm using the ford racing brackets with the cutout to fit over the axle. I like the spacer idea, might make one out of my old backing plate (or at least use it as a template). And I bought the bolts longer on purpose. the anti-moan brackets will take up the space there, not to worry. ...how did I know somebody would see that!

Other question: homeade hubcentric spacer? I read someone made one out of a piece of pipe but cant find it. ???
    Ok, sorry I thought it was the North brackets. I would measure everything up and see how much you need to get the caliper to fit properly.

Have you attempted to test fit the caliper as everything sits right now? It's hard to tell how much off center the caliper mount is from the photo. If it's within a 1/16" I might just try it as it is right now. If you are off by 1/4" or so, then centering it would definitely be the best idea.

My quess is your old bracket is @ 3/16"-1/4" so it might work really well.

As for hubcentric spacers. I am sure they can be fabbed up, but for what a set costs from Maximum Motorsports, it's not worth the headaches and trouble IMHO. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...ath=49_134_231

You are looking at $30 for 1/8" up to $85 for 1/2". Not cheap, but you know they are quality and made right. There are other companies that sell good quality hubcentric spacers and may have a bit better pricing. So you might want to check a couple of places if you choose to buy.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by CapriGT View Post
    Looks like you're on the right track, except for your footwear.

Ha!

I totally posted about not hating on the crocs but it got kicked out because it was within 60 seconds of the previous post!
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's

My cowl hood thread:

I got them centered with some washer engineering. I'd still like to know why it's differrent than all the others. I bought the rear end from a junkyard through my buddy's shop in like '96 or '97. I know it's a 86-93 rear. But oh well.

Final product: (Leave my sandals alone capriGT)

Brake hose routing, this seemed to be the best fit and it clears the rim and shocks: (comments/suggestions welcome)

Final product, soooo much easier to set this up out of the car:

- Ed

My cowl hood thread:

Oh, For hubcentric spacers I order form Disc brakes R us on line.

http://discbrakesrus.com/make/ford/axlespacer.htm

couldnt beat the price and the guy was really super cool. Sounds like a mom an pop shop, I like doing business with that kind of people. the spacers will be here tuesday and I'll let you know how they work.

For test fitting I used a 2" pvc coupling I cut it the right width, sanded down the outside to get the right thickness and cut it to make it into a C-ring (keep it clean guys) and stretched it over the axle flange.

Last edited by edman1000; 05-26-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    - Ed

My cowl hood thread:

Looks like things came out pretty well!

The spacer are cool. I had not seen those before. I will have to keep those in mind of I am ever in need of them.

Oh and you really should be wearing better foot protection. If that rotor fell on your toes you would be in a world of hurt! Well and more fashionable footwear too for the rest of us!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Ok, I'm onto the fronts now.

Question for the moderators....

I'm planning on putting together a complete write up of all I did on this, some of the info will repeat stuff written here, should I continue with it here or start a fresh new clean thread without all the fluff?

Edit: Complete write up coming soon!
    Last edited by edman1000; 06-07-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    - Ed

My cowl hood thread:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12