Close

Default Are all '88 Saleens Mass-air equipped?

Just wondering since they were all built in CA, were they all CA smog-legal cars? Thanks.

I owned 88-228, it was not mass air!

David

That helps answer my question. I do remember that '88 was the first year for MAF in the Mustangs, for CA cars (MAF was standard for '89 according to my sources), so I wondered if CA-built '88 Saleens were all MAF.

Some where, some werent, it depended on the DSO (District Sales Office) the car was ordered through.
    My 1988 583, sold new in Mass, has Cali emmisions, including Mass air.
    If the car was ordered with a california DSO, or the Recreational Vehicle pool DSO (My car), it got Cali emissions.
    If it was ordered through a 49 state DSO, it didnt get them.
    It wasnt a saleen thing, it was a ford thing.
    From my observations, less than 1/2 of the 700+ came with mass air.
    Last edited by madmike; 05-05-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: More info
    Mike Foley
    1988 Saleen #583
    1982 Mustang GT (Gone but not forgotten)

FEP Senior Member

Default Saleen 88 Mass Air

Saleen 1988 #222 with a DSO of 16 which is Philadelphia has Mass Air.Because of this I would suspect it ws up to how the car was ordered not the DSO. Yes I think all DSO 86 cars were probably mass air because they could have went to California which required it.

Interesting, Whoever was ordering #222 (Dealer) must have checked the box for California emissions for some reason. Or maybe it was a typo on the order form.
    In the 1988 Saleen Dealer guide, it list Cali emmissions and 3.55 gears as "Optional"
    I guess the DSO is only a good guide, the CAC or Marti report is the only way to know for sure which each individual car.
    I would suggest that cars with 49 state DSOs and Cali emmissions are exceedingly rare.
    How many others have you seen Bryan?
    Mike Foley
    1988 Saleen #583
    1982 Mustang GT (Gone but not forgotten)

Default 88 Saleen with MAF in Switzerland

I found a 88 MAF-equipped car over here in Switzerland witch has MAF. Ford didn't import Mustang officially in Switzerland in these years so it's some kind of direct or "grey" import. Since it is advertized as 1989 car (due to it's first registration in Switzerland) I've though everything is like it should be with this car, MAF from 89 on... Only to find out yesterday when inspecting the car that it is from April 1988 according to it's VIN and this separat buck tag thing.
    Unfortunately I have no possibility to find out why this MAF car from 4-88 came to Switzerland in 10-89. Maybe it's just a normal California car which was sold after a year to Switzerland...

http://m.autoscout24.ch/de/d/ford-(u...p%3d10%26r%3d5
    Last edited by stickshift; 08-07-2016 at 04:49 AM.
    '79 Ghia 5.0 notch, '94 C4 6-sp vert (sold), '95 Cobra coupe w/Vortech SC (sold), '88 GT 5-sp vert (sold), '86 GT 5-sp vert (sold)

nickname: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCFM5rUfuI