Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default High beams Turn Headlights Off

So the other day I was driving home from work and when I went to put my high beams on it just shut the headlights off (But left the orange lights on). If I just hold the lever then I can use the high beams but once I pull it back all the way so I can let go of it the headlights go off. Extremely annoying as you could imagine. Does anybody know what could have randomly started this problem?
    1985 Mustang GT

Sounds like a bad switch to me. I’ve had that happen to me and that’s what the issue was. Do your parking lights and all stay on as well? If so it is the switch.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Quote Originally Posted by rkuhn View Post
    Sounds like a bad switch to me. I’ve had that happen to me and that’s what the issue was. Do your parking lights and all stay on as well? If so it is the switch.
    Yeah, they do
    1985 Mustang GT

This happened to me.If I leave the hi beams on for few minutes the lights flicker then go out then come back when I turn the hi beams off.Just bought a headlight switch from NAPA. Have not put it in yet.Hope this works.Has any body else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by rkuhn View Post
    I had the exact same problem about a year after I bought my car back in '94... I replaced the light switch and problem solved

p.s. The malfuntioning switch got hot as hell too...just sayin'
    ~Scott~

1985 Mustang GT
    Medium Canyon Red Metallic Exterior ~ Sand Beige / Buckskin Interior

sounds like bad dimmer switch to me.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

This is a common failure on our cars. Replace the headlight switch and you will be good. Install a relay system for the headlights and you will be much better off.

North Florida/ "Way Down Yander On the Chattahoochee"

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    This is a common failure on our cars. Replace the headlight switch and you will be good. Install a relay system for the headlights and you will be much better off.
    Exactly!

A quick fix is to unplug the inside 2 headlight bulbs untill you can do the above.
    69 Mustang Fastback= EXPENSIVE
    84 SVO= project pick up the front wheels
    86 Coupe= project show car
    87 Mark-VII Vortech'd351/T56= TROUBLE
    93 Town&Country= DD/work van
    96 F150 Lightning FlareSide= boat hauler
    99 P71 the "PO-RAUDER"=weekend ride (awaiting built motor)
    00 Excursion 7.3PSD= long distance trips
    05 F250 V10 SCSB= the Hot-Rod pick-up, trailer puller
    Wifes rides: 97 Exploraineer Sport V8= DD, 93 GT 2.3t/T5= backup, 05 F250 SCSB 4X4= toy

I had that problem. Replacing the dimmer switch (on the floor) fixed it for me. I've never had a headlamp switch fail, at least not completely.
    D'oh! I thought I was on a different forum for a different kind of car! Fox's have the dimmer switch on the column...
    1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0/4-spd
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 H.O.

So should I replace the headlight switch or dimmer switch? I know it'd be best to replace both but money is tight
    1985 Mustang GT

I would replace the headlight switch. If the dimmer switch on the column is switching between low and high beams, it should be fine.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by DeVo View Post
    So should I replace the headlight switch or dimmer switch?

Replace just the headlight switch & you will be fine.

Also be aware that there is a different switch depending upon whether you have foglights or not.
    Last edited by Puter; 06-05-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    85 GT convertible

Good thing this topic was brought I have the same problem and my headlight switch is original.

My capri has this problem but when I turn the high beams on all everything goes out. Thought it was the switch but it wasnt, changed it and nuttin! I think I narrowed it down to a bad ground somwhere in the front end. I have to tear into it further now, thanks for reminding me... I do have the 1985 Mustang/Capri Electrical and vacuum book from Ford, so it does help a bit.
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

Quote Originally Posted by edman1000 View Post
    My capri has this problem but when I turn the high beams on all everything goes out. Thought it was the switch but it wasnt, changed it and nuttin! I think I narrowed it down to a bad ground somwhere in the front end. I have to tear into it further now, thanks for reminding me... I do have the 1985 Mustang/Capri Electrical and vacuum book from Ford, so it does help a bit.
    The headlights ground to the small bolt on top of the radiator support right next to the hood bumpers. They are prone to corrosion and people loosening them when the front clip gets removed. My recommendation is to remove the screws, clean the metal underneath to bare metal, clean the electrical ring terminal and then bolt down securely. It is possible there are still other issues, but that will help to eliminate two potential issues.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the help guys! I should be able to replace it this week and and I'll let you know how it goes.
    1985 Mustang GT

Any update?
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's

My cowl hood thread:

My money is on the dimmer switch based on what the OP stated about the high beams working in certain positions
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

I actually ended up fixing my dimmer switch when my headlights were flickering. I took it apart sanded the contacts and put dielectric grease back on and it worked perfectly.

I'm going to do the relay add to the light circuit along with some Hella h1 & h4's.

Which contacts did you sand?
    - Ed

My cowl hood thread:

I had the same issues, but replacing the switch was only a temporary fix that lasted about a year and a half. The problem was my halogen headlights.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=40074

This solved my problem for good AND made my headlights brighter.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ighlight=relay
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Not to Hijack but....

So all these threads about the headlights kind of got me motivated to do something. As stated above I decided to go with the relay setup and the Hella's. So today I was farting around and currently, as soon as i turn on my highbeams, everything goes out. I unplugged both lights on the drivers side and clicked on the highbeams and both lights on the passenger side lit and stayed on. I repeated the same for the other side and Viola! Same thing. So it definetly is the switch overloading.

This little test saved me from ripping off my front clip to try and find a bad ground! I'm ordering the RJM relay kit soon!
    - Ed

My cowl hood thread:

Update on an oldy here:
    Built my own Relay circuit and it took care of my issue.

Devo - You ever get yours straightened out?
    - Ed

My cowl hood thread:

Do yourself a favor. Replace the mutifunction switch (turn signal dimmer switch) and connectors and the headlight switch and connector and the ignition switch and connector. All can be bought from autozone or Napa. And whatever you replace use dielectric grease on connectors. Don't think this a good idea then look at all of these connectors while you have it apart. You will see the problems common to the fox. These connectors get a little corrosion and they heat up and melt connectors. Dielectric grease will prevent corrosion and resistance build up, otherwise the corrosion turns the connections into a resistor and melts the connectors. Foxes are under wired and a little corrosion will kill the connectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast