Close

Default Converting 200cid 1V to 2V

Quote:
    Originally Posted by terrymwalsh
    G'day all,

My Capri has an I6 1V 200cid that I'm planning to convert to a 2V with the Aussie 250 2V head, extractors (headers) and topped with a 350cfm Holley. I already have all the major components but would love to hear from anyone out there who's done this before, especially to a later model (Fox) 200 engine. She's backed with a C4 auto, if that helps. Ideally, I also want to eliminate a lot of the pollution 'plumbing' gear and can I rid mine of the thermactor unit also?

I look forward to any input that fellow members may have.

And thanks also to the administrators for this additional tech area.
    aka Terry M Walsh
    Downunder in Melbourne, Australia

1981 Mercury Capri, 'White' Black Magic, 200-2V/C4
    1983 Ford Capri, 2.8i, 5-spd

Quote Originally Posted by terrymwalsh View Post
    Quote:
    G'day all,

My Capri has an I6 1V 200cid that I'm planning to convert to a 2V with the Aussie 250 2V head, extractors (headers) and topped with a 350cfm Holley. I already have all the major components but would love to hear from anyone out there who's done this before, especially to a later model (Fox) 200 engine. She's backed with a C4 auto, if that helps. Ideally, I also want to eliminate a lot of the pollution 'plumbing' gear and can I rid mine of the thermactor unit also?

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    Hey, Terry, this sounds like it would be a great first "Build Thread" for this section. I'm not a moderator, so I can't move it or anything. You might want to copy what you posted and start your own "Build Thread" topic. You can post progress, add pictures of what you started with and what you're doing during the build. You could ask questions, receive advice, and offer any pointers / tips / tricks you learned along the way.

As far as the plumbing gear and thermactor unit elimination, your local emissions testing requirements will dictate what you can and cannot do. If you're NOT required to have regular emissions testing / certificaton, you can pretty much do what you want.
    The above has been moved so that we may concentrate on just this subject, at the suggestion of IDMooseMan above!
    aka Terry M Walsh
    Downunder in Melbourne, Australia

1981 Mercury Capri, 'White' Black Magic, 200-2V/C4
    1983 Ford Capri, 2.8i, 5-spd

Quote Originally Posted by terrymwalsh View Post
    Quote:
    G'day all,

I swapped to a Holley 350 on my 250 w/ an adapter form clifford Performance. (I couldn't afford the Aussie head!)

I also added an MSD-5 ignition. (I don't think they make them anymore)

It's not a powerhouse by any means,but the engine is definitely more responsive now.

Cars:1982 Mercury Capri RS, 5.0 HO
    1973 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4
    1977 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4

Now we're talking.

Terry, glad to see you found the "new" section.

82CapriRS, that looks like a fun ride. You wanna start a thread in here for it describing what you started with and what you did to her?
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

I found and lost the link. If you went 250 there is a place in austrlia tht made(makes) a crossfloow head.

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post

82CapriRS, that looks like a fun ride. You wanna start a thread in here for it describing what you started with and what you did to her?
    It was a 50,000 mile 1973 250, bottom end was left alone. Head was cleaned, resurfaced, new stock valves and springs installed, new valve seals.

New timing chain, oil pump, water pump and fuel pump. All new gaskets.

New distributor, MSD-5 ignition and Blaster II coil.

Holley 350 cfm 2bbl w/ clifford adapter. "custom" throttle and kick-down cables.

Rebuilt C-4 w/ B&M street/ strip valve body kit.

I was looking for a used header, couldn't dish out any more $$ for a new one!!

Had some powder coating done for looks.

The car is rotting around the engine.

Lots of fun. Now it's all going into the 76 Maverick.

If you want decent power from these engines, the stock heads suck.

Classic Inlines makes a new aluminum head w/ seperate 2 or 4bbl intakes.

Check the dyno tests.... http://www.classicinlines.com/dynoroom.asp
    Cars:1982 Mercury Capri RS, 5.0 HO
    1973 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4
    1977 Ford Maverick, 250 L6, C4

Nice. I used to borrow Mom's '76 Maverick after I got my license. That was a fun 4-door.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Offenhauser intake with 3 Webers!

Here's a pretty cool article; Building Up A Vintage Ford Six

Weeee, I always wanted someone to do a 200 six build. Cant wait
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

Back around '76, I converted the 200 in my '67 Mustang to use a Motorcraft 2100 2V carb.
    Rather than use the Clifford adapter, (which I had tried and didn't find it did much for the
    actual 0-60) I got a 250 head, cut off the carb pad plus a bit of the top of the intake log,
    and welded on a new pad I fabbed from 3/4" stock. That, plus the solid lifter Isky cam, gave
    the engine a few hundred more RPM. It was no match for a 4-speed 4-barrel Mustang, but
    it'd pull away from a stock 4V automatic, or 2V model.

I've always thought it would have been cool to graft on a pair of 40IDA3C Webers, but
    those were way out of my price range back then, and probably still are.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune