Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gatorbacks ????

Quote Originally Posted by 8650 View Post
    I may just forget originality and go with 93 Cobra wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport, if this doesn't work out. But that migh beg for suspension and brake upgrades..... where do you stop?
    Well, if the car shakes a little, that's part of the original "charm". Many of these cars vibrated above 65MPH because a lot of shops didn't even have balancers go higher than 70.

If you can get a minimally shaking VR60, you can have a local tire shop shave the tread a little. Not sure if you have one where you live, but we have one here. World of difference on the Badyears. I've had so many Badyears in my life, I'm hesitant to purchase new VR60's. But I will accept them, problems and all, to get the concours tires needed.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

There's a good reason they are called Skaterbacks.

FEP Member

Come on, they were not that bad. My first Mustang I bought was used and had brand new Radial T/A's on it. That thing had no grip until I switched back to the OEM Gatorbacks. Sure, they had their drawbacks (terrible wet traction, noisy, uneven wear, etc) but they ran circles around the Radial T/A's. Night/Day difference. After they were out, I went with Comp T/A's and sure they were even better, then Michelin XGT's, but they were too soft...
    Last edited by 8650; 10-20-2012 at 08:05 AM.

The New Gatorbacks, are made out of Today's Materials, which will make them a much better tire. My 17 Inch gatorbacks do quite well at the track and on the street. Not to mention they are by far the best looking Tire on any Fox!!
    1979 Pace car
    1985 GT
    1993 Cobra #4993, Last 93 Cobra Builit
    1995 Cobra #1670 Bought
    2009 GT500KR #173
    And a few other's

Hi guys!

I want to introduce myself. My name is Rusty Small and after reading this post, it appears that some of you know me! I wanted to chime in and let you guys know that indeed, the 225/60/VR 15 Gatorbacks are in reproduction. These tires are not made by Goodyear, but they are there with technical support. These tires have been reproduced to be accurate in appearance with modern materials being used. These tires are made here in the USA. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smallhurst View Post
    Hi guys!

I want to introduce myself. My name is Rusty Small and after reading this post, it appears that some of you know me! I wanted to chime in and let you guys know that indeed, the 225/60/VR 15 Gatorbacks are in reproduction. These tires are not made by Goodyear, but they are there with technical support. These tires have been reproduced to be accurate in appearance with modern materials being used. These tires are made here in the USA. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.
    I have them on my car and I can tell you that they grip way better than the originals in sub freezing temps! They are quiet so far too.

Skaterbacks was because of the lack of good adhesion . . nothing to do with shaking.
    Pete's Ponies
    Mustang RUSToration & Performance

These tires were only rated at 25k miles. They were the softest compound GY made at the time. Not unlike the new stangs with track packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallhurst View Post
    Hi guys!

Rusty, we spoke on the phone about a year or so ago. Any news on the 245/50/16 Gatorbacks?

I know he is working on a very big project right now. After that one is done, I would say that it is highly likely that the 245 will get some love.

I got 60k out of each of the 2 sets I had. But then again I can get twice the mileage out of a tire than anyone else I know. I had a set of Bridgestone Potenzas with a 140 treadwear rating that I got 25k out of. That said they were only OK when dry and were treacherous when wet. When I lived in San Antonio there was a route I couldn't take home when it rained. There was a slight uphill at a light and the car wouldn't go, it would just sit there and spin.

steve

Here is the link to the Gatorbacks. http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires4.html

I will be happy to field any questions about these tires you might have.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345