Close

Default Cowl Hood Light Mod

Hey guys..... wanted to share this with all my buddies.. I just think it's pretty sweet. (btw, this is on my 82GT)

Once upon a time.... things were real dark in the engine bay... (cowl is black plastic, this shot is with garage closed and one flourescent set of bulbs on.

First, drop cloth over engine as to catch drill filings...

Then... some short work began... these are utility type trailer lights with the lenses removed. (about $3.50 each at local auto parts store...)

Sorry the pix are kinda blurry... there's alot to be said though of the convenience of an iphone just clickin away while I'm working on these types of things!!

Here's another angle to explain how I mounted the lights.... But let's just say that with removing, placing, removing, placing, removing, the cowl... carefully, you'll see that they pretty much only fit in there ONE WAY!!! But they do brutha!! So these are the 17.4W larger bulbs...

I added toggle switch in bay side next to battery and put this on a relay with a nice car audio 12v dist. block for adding other lights to the circuit later on!! I'm sure it will be well worth the clean extra effort!!

Lastly.. .go BACK to Home Depot.... yes, I know you were already there 23 times today... but go back.. and get a roll of the widest NASHUA High Temperature Reflective tape (found in A/C ductwork section) and tape up the underside of your cowl for goodness sake!!

I applied mine starting from both sides working inwards to be all even about it and shi(

Last pic, BEFORE 2 cowl lights are turned on... this is WITH reflective tape now and one set of flourescents on in the garage.

And finally...

This is with the 2 cowl lights on...flourescents still on in the background... I left them on for 3+ hours with a 15 minutes drive in-between on the first day and had NO issues starting.... drain was extremely minimal!!

and one last pic... (yes, I found this about an hour after original post... so edited... ) this give you an idea.. how bad iphone's are at night shots... (the light UNDER the car is from a big CFL, but look at the pattern off my open cowl grill, from these lights!! It's a beautiful thing!

Best of all.... best of all.... best of ALL.... my goal was to install lights that lit the engine compartment well without exposing the viewer to the bulb's light directly! This is exactly the case! Granted, I'm 6'2", but even a modest 5 foot something er other won't see the bulbs directly!

Booya!

SI
    Last edited by SilentInsomnia; 04-15-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    Smile, it's an easy thing you have complete control over that takes less work than the alternative.

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

Nice job! I have an itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny, single light bulb under my hood. Not much light, but now I'm thinking I need to remove the underhood pad and give this a try. Reps sent.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 04-15-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Neat idea. I wouldn't recommend using an Iphone if you are going to be posting up How To posts. I have no idea what is in any of the pictures. I can see some light in a couple so it looks like you got it working.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Homer, thanks.... yeah in case there's any doubt... I went out tonight and took some video of the hood light turned on and moving as well as a neat undercarriage light in the rear I recently installed. Again... both lights are moving somewhat so watch closely, or better yet, watch in HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG8445niyTo

SI

Sent from my iPhone
    Smile, it's an easy thing you have complete control over that takes less work than the alternative.

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2