Close

Thread: Meet Pauline

Default Meet Pauline

Here are some shots of my '78 Zephyr I brought home yesterday. A little back story on the car: My great Uncle bought this car brand new in late 1977. HIS uncle was the sales manager and his son-in-law was a salesman at our local Lincoln-Mercury dealership, W-G Motors in Mt. Vernon, IL.

When my great uncle bought the car, he had to agree to leave it at the dealership, on the showroom floor until another one came in, as this was the first Zephyr the dealership received. After delivery, my great aunt (Pauline) drove the car for 86,000 miles. After that, it made it's way to Houston Texas, for my cousin to drive while she was in college. After she graduated and was done using the car, my great uncle drove the car back from Houston, shut it off, and let it sit where I rescued it from yesterday with 106,000 miles on the clock.

It's a 6 cyl auto with A/C, AM/FM/8-Track, velour seats which are still in good shape, and much to my surprise, there isn't even a crack one in the dash pad! Without further delay, here is Pauline:

Fresh off the rollback

Decent interior

Behold the power!

Passenger side interior

What luxury!

What an hour and some soap will do for an old car

If you look at the RF corner, you can see that the paint has been blended at some time. I believe this to be a factory repair, as the car never has been wrecked. I can see the bumper is high on that side, but that happened when it was loaded yesterday. Nothing to fixing that part of it.

This is what sealed the deal for me!

Nice dash pad

Yes, the roof is peeling on it. Am I going to strip it? Not a chance. I plan to lower the car some, leave every bit of vintage and patina, make it run, and drive the guts out of it.

I'm considering the 5 lug swap and running these wheels

painted a contrasting color like a flat antique beige and the small Ranger/Crown Vic centers.

Other than that, it's just something to tinker with, have some fun, and know that I know the complete life story of the ol' girl. Aunt Pauline may have passed on, but her lil' Zephyr will be roaming the streets again very soon.
    Last edited by Rahn; 04-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.

I love the CB and 8 track player. What a classy ride. I think the turbines look right at home on that baby. Congrats on a very cool ride!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Great story and a nice survivor. I like your plans.

Nice Zephyr, a little TLC can do wonders.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    I love the CB and 8 track player. What a classy ride. I think the turbines look right at home on that baby. Congrats on a very cool ride!
    Thanks! I fought and fought, and hated turbines in my own mind. I had to borrow these two from my neighbor when I went and got the car, and I was ver surprised how "right" they look on the car. I don't know if they will stay or not, but for now they look a lot better than I thought they would!

i like it alot i say drop a nice small block in it with some gears and a 8.8 make a nice cruiser tire burner sleeper

I like how turbines look on that car. I wouldn't change a thing outside...but i'd probably drop a 347 in it and build a nice sleeper out of it.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

I'm definitely a performance guy and would LOVE to do the sleeper thing with it. Alas, I bought it for gas mileage, so the 3.3 stays. Now who's to say that IT couldn't be turboed at some point?

lol? 3.3 and gas mileage? that never happen for me.maybe if you swap the auto for stick.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

Quote Originally Posted by rancheronut View Post
    lol? 3.3 and gas mileage? that never happen for me.maybe if you swap the auto for stick.

What kind of mileage do you get? Just curious to see if my goal is for not, ya know?

That looks like great potential ---- and great potential for some driving fun! Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rahn View Post
    This is what sealed the deal for me!

That's understandable. Pauline would have been so proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahn View Post
    What kind of mileage do you get? Just curious to see if my goal is for not, ya know?

factory 3.3/auto got 12 in town and 17 highway.
    1995 carb 5.0/T-5 got 15 in town and 21 highway.

both drive train where in the same car.
    Last edited by rancheronut; 04-13-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

Chicago, Illinois. home to the world's largest collection of potholes

very cool!
    hello, my name is Epi and i'm addicted to four-eyes
    '86 Mustang GT convertible - restomod
    '86 Capri - DD hotrod
    '08 Ford Edge - Weekend hauler
    past:
    '86 Mustang GT hatch - sold for diapers
    '87 LTD - gone after 12 long years
    '90 Mustang LX - cancer
    '86 Thunderbird 3.8L
    '87 Mustang GT

Yeah i wouldn't opt for a 3.3 for mileage. They'll run forever but that's about all they're good for.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

Yeah, when Pauline was roaming the streets, gas was .75 a gallon. That engine will easily outlast even what's left of that car but it's no good as far as mileage goes. I would say 15 is about average.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Ok guys. I still plan to see if I can make it run. From there I'll see how feasible it is. Thanks!