Close

Default R-12 refrigerant recovery machine

Anticipating some component replacement/repair on my 84's a/c system, I called around to some shops asking for estimates. I couldn't find anyone who still has a machine to recover the R-12 refrigerant. They all basically admitted to "atmospheric recycling" which isn't legal and which I didn't want to do. I have my EPA Section 609 license and I'm confident that I can do anything on the a/c system myself, I just didn't have a way to recover the refrigerant in the system before opening it up. Until now. I found this machine for $40. It's dirty, but it powers up and the seller said that it worked the last time that he used it.

Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Put a vacuum on an old empty tank and use it to recover. 2nd if you anticipate part replacement aren't you probably low or empty to start with? 3rd your 18 oz won't destroy our environment. 4th I'd be cautious with a machine that old, it likely leaks worse than your car. When I was in the shop our r 12 and 134a machines were always being serviced for leaks and just plain not working. I understand not wanting to just dump it, but it happens all the time
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 01-07-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Cool! I hope it works well for you! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Reputation comment? Why? What? Points? Am I being flamed and don't know it? Understand I can barely navigate this or any site. Sorry to hijack

2nd chance, thanks for the comments. You're right, I should check the fittings on the machine before using. I didn't do anything for your reputation, but maybe someone else liked what you said and added some reps for you? I don't keep up with all of that.

No worries. I just don't get that deep into computers. I have done many 134 retrofits on chevys, so ford's could be diff. Usually fix the leak replace the drier, maybe change the orfice, change the fittings and dump in a little less 134 than 12, I like to do it with gauges and a thermometer. I never cared for some of t he retrofit sources that said you have to replace EVERYTHING. I m no genius but I do know some stuff and when I don't I'm usually quiet

Oh and I knew it wasn't you, I just didn't know what it was.I have never seen it before

Have you priced or sourced R12 yet?? The price you will pay per pound for R12 will be more than what it will cost you to change over to R134.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Have you priced or sourced R12 yet?? The price you will pay per pound for R12 will be more than what it will cost you to change over to R134.
    I don't know what R12 costs where you live, but I find it locally on Craigslist for about $20 a can any week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure you are buying r 12, not some r12 replacement. There are some VERY flammable r12 replacements out there.

Jealous! I never even thought to look for one of these. I ran in to the same predicament last summer with my '84. I never did find anyone would do it and a lot of shops told me that there was no such thing as R12. I see no reason to convert and I didn't either. I am not certain where this rumor came from that R12 was crazy expensive. You can buy it ANYWHERE for not much at all. Yeah it's a lot more then it was in 1989 but what isn't? And how often do you need it? And I am not talking about replacement R12 substitutes. I don't get why people convert to less efficient R134. R12 cools better and is better for the parts in the system which are also designed for R12. There is zero demand for R12 which makes it cheap to come by.
    Last edited by homer302; 01-21-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Do you still need the ASE certificate to buy R12?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

You still need a 609 certificate to buy the small cans of R12, but private sellers don't always ask. I also
    agree with Saturn V and Homer302, proper R12 is still plentiful at a reasonable price, if you're willing to
    look for it.

As long as I can maintain a stash of R12, I don't even think about retrofitting R134a, but I do make sure
    the system doesn't leak. Dry nitrogen is your friend.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    You still need a 609 certificate to buy the small cans of R12, but private sellers don't always ask. I also
    agree with Saturn V and Homer302, proper R12 is still plentiful at a reasonable price, if you're willing to
    look for it.

As long as I can maintain a stash of R12, I don't even think about retrofitting R134a, but I do make sure
    the system doesn't leak. Dry nitrogen is your friend.
    Uh, I'll bite, what's dry nitrogen? And how is it used?
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

As the name implies, it's nitrogen with very low moisture content. Available where you buy welding gases.

You use it to pressurize the system and make sure it doesn't leak down. Vacuum will usually show you if
    you have a major leak, but some leaks will only show up when the system is under pressure. And using
    plain shop air is not a good idea because shop air can contain enough moisture to saturate the desiccant
    bag. And then there's also that whole oxygen-meets-oil thing.

Dry nitrogen is also very useful to find small leaks if you've got a sniffer, by mixing in a small quantity of
    refrigerant, or CO2, if your sniffer can read that.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune