Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home Made Pinch Weld Adapter For Floor Jack

Just though I'd share tonight project. I'm SURE that I'm not the first to think of this, but, it's quick and easy. Maybe it'll help someone out.

I made this in about five minutes. I just set the blade on the circular saw to a 1" depth ad made a couple of passes. I then cut the 2x4 short enough to fit in my floor jack saddle. I made the notch against the grain to keep it from splitting.
    Seems to work really well. If it does break, it was free...

Just make sure the pinch weld is hitting the bottom of the slot in the wood before the top of the wood block touches the sheet metal on both sides of the pinch weld. The area on both sides of the pinch weld is NOT strong enough to support the weight of the car and will crush... the weight of the car must be on the bottom edge of the pinch weld.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Oh... Back to the drawing board... HA!

NEVER jack on the pinch weld. Always place floor jack/jack stands on the frame rails. Use a 2x4 or similar between the jack on the frame rail to spread/even the load

Last edited by TWR2003; 04-04-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

FEP Senior Member

Kinda like wearing a thong, it needs to fit snug in the slot. I have no idea where that came from, but it even kinda grossed me out!

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    NEVER jack on the pinch weld. Always place floor jack/jack stands on the frame rails. Use a 2x4 or similar between the jack on the frame rail to spread/even the load

I actually do do it on the frame rails. I was just playuing around in the garage tonight. I was actually going to use this on my daily (98 Malibu).

Alright, never mind. Guess my idea sucks...

I need to learn how to add arrows and such to pics. I get jealous everytime I see someone do this...

Neither here nor there

I don't even jack on the sub-frames either, I only jack from the K-member or Rear end, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    I don't even jack on the sub-frames either, I only jack from the K-member or Rear end, that's it.

same here!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

NEVER jack on the pinch weld.
    Isn't there a notch in the pinch weld (one in front and one in back), the factory jack location for changing a tire? I know most imports are that way.

That's how I do it when I want to put the front or rear up on jack stands. Frame rails for pulling a tire.

Yes the factory jacking points are on the pinch welds. What's the problem with using the factory points?

I, like you, almost exclusively use the K-member and the rear axle for lifting the car. And I have my favorite spots for jack stands too, two on the rear axle and two on the front subframe at the rear of the K-member, right behind the A-arm. Yes it's way up there. But it's a nice pocket where I don't have to worry about the car sliding off the jack stands.

I have had cars slide off of stands while working. You will need to change underpants after. As for the factory Jack. It doesn't take it up very high. Only the one wheel gets off the ground just enough to change the tire, every time I have seen somebody use a floor Jack on a pinch weld it has just folded up. Trying to Jack it up enough to get a Jack stand under it puts a ton more weight on that corner. Its just not strong enough.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

I'm welding in some square tubing right behind the rail to make the pinch stronger and giving me a better spot. Also to fix my floor on the driver side since its realy starting to sag.

Got the idea from the company stifflers who makes them and called them jacking rails.

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    I, like you, almost exclusively use the K-member and the rear axle for lifting the car. And I have my favorite spots for jack stands too, two on the rear axle and two on the front subframe at the rear of the K-member, right behind the A-arm. Yes it's way up there. But it's a nice pocket where I don't have to worry about the car sliding off the jack stands.
    samething here.

Quote Originally Posted by 86mk7 View Post
    I'm welding in some square tubing right behind the rail to make the pinch stronger and giving me a better spot. Also to fix my floor on the driver side since its realy starting to sag.

Got the idea from the company stifflers who makes them and called them jacking rails.
    I had jacking rails welded on both my 02 and 03 gt's that were lowered. being able to just slide the jack right under the lip made it so much easier for jacking on a lowered car.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

Quote Originally Posted by DadBox View Post
    I agree that the K-member and rear axle are good places for the floor jack for lifting. But when you are working on a car that is having its K member or rear axle removed then the frame rails are the best places for jack stands. Whenever I do a tire rotation where Im simply moving the front tires to the rear and will not be putting the vehicle on jack stands or getting under the vehicle then jacking under the frame rail is the best place.

I used to have to use a small jack on the front subframe to lift the car just enough to get the medium sized jack under the front...I hated doing that...BUT not anymore! My new best friend!

...when you are working on a car that is having its K member or rear axle removed then the frame rails are the best places for jack stands. Whenever I do a tire rotation where Im simply moving the front tires to the rear and will not be putting the vehicle on jack stands or getting under the vehicle then jacking under the frame rail is the best place.

Very true.

I have that jack (with a different label) and I LOVE it! Only floor jack I've ever seen that will fit
    under the front air dam on my '85 hatch. And it's got a better-than-most lift range. Got mine
    at Costco about 3 or 5 years ago.

Mind if I ask where you got yours? My neighbor has been wanting one, and he can't have mine...

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    I used to have to use a small jack on the front subframe to lift the car just enough to get the medium sized jack under the front...I hated doing that...BUT not anymore! My new best friend!

Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    I have that jack (with a different label) and I LOVE it! Only floor jack I've ever seen that will fit
    under the front air dam on my '85 hatch. And it's got a better-than-most lift range. Got mine
    at Costco about 3 or 5 years ago.

Mind if I ask where you got yours? My neighbor has been wanting one, and he can't have mine...
    Harbor Freight!

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ump-68050.html

I have the same jack except mine is orange/white. Very low profile and best jack I've ever owned. Also very stable when lifting.
    1981 Mustang Coupe: Rebuilt 91/306, Ported E7's, TF Spring kit, E-303 Cam, RPM Intake, Eddy 1406 Carb, FMS Dual Roller Timing set, March UD pulleys, Summit LT Headers, Summit 2-1/2" Chambered Mufflers w/ 2-1/2" FlowTech H-Pipe/ Flowtubes & 2-1/2" LMR SS Tailpipes. C4 trans with 8.8/ 2.73 Rear.

OK, that's probably similar enough. Mine is this one -

Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

This is one of the often over looked benefits of subframe connectors.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

JACook-
    The one you have looks to be still available:
    http://www.amazon.com/Arcan-Quick-Li.../dp/B000Y9YGX4

Thanks. That's not a bad price, if I lived in the SouthEast. I've actually bought stuff from
    them before. But I don't think they have any stores west of the Mississippi, and that jack
    is -heavy-.

I showed my neighbor the Harbor Freight listing, and I think he's probably gonna get one.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    Thanks. That's not a bad price, if I lived in the SouthEast. I've actually bought stuff from
    them before. But I don't think they have any stores west of the Mississippi, and that jack
    is -heavy-.

I showed my neighbor the Harbor Freight listing, and I think he's probably gonna get one.
    Most of the car magazines have 20% off coupons in them to harbor freight be sure to grab one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast