Close

Default 85 Capri RS Door Glass Question

Hi Fellow FEP'ers

I have a 1985 Capri RS with the factory T-roof. Both my driver's and passenger door glass are badly scratched.

Question: Is the door glass for my car specific to the T-roof model or will the glass from a coupe or convertible fit as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help in my research. I have called auto wreckers, glass companies and scoured the internet and am getting conflicting answers.
    1985 Capri RS T-Top
    50th Anniversary Corvette Red
    351W T-5 & 3.55 Posi
    5 Lug Conversion w/ 18" ZR Wheels (8.5"F/10"R)

1985 Capri GS (SOLD)
    Midnight Blue

Former owner of many many Mustangs, Four Eyed and 2 '93s (A Cobra and an LX), but I have Bubble Fever that I can't shake!

T-roof door glass is unique in both thickness and shape. Convertible glass will not work. 1979-1982 T-roof glass won't work either. Glass will work from 1983-1987 (mid year) T-roof donors.

Glass is not inexpensive. I have a NOS set and it cost $600 for both sides. Used runs about $80-$100 per side, if you can get it without the doors.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by swaptime86 View Post
    That seller is a known "chop shop" of Fox Mustang parts. I would use extreme caution in buying anything from them.

Quote Originally Posted by HaRdKoR_CdN View Post
    Hi Fellow FEP'ers

I have a 1985 Capri RS with the factory T-roof. Both my driver's and passenger door glass are badly scratched.

Question: Is the door glass for my car specific to the T-roof model or will the glass from a coupe or convertible fit as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help in my research. I have called auto wreckers, glass companies and scoured the internet and am getting conflicting answers.
    You state that the glass is badly scratched. If you scratch at the scratches with your fingernail does it catch on the scratch? If so, the scratches are too deep to buff out. If you fingernail doesn't catch on the scratches, then it might be possible to buff them out if you are willing. A good quality buffing kit might save you the hassle and added cost of replacing the glass.

Here is a kit from Eastwood that works pretty well.

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    That seller is a known "chop shop" of Fox Mustang parts. I would use extreme caution in buying anything from them.

oh man i didnt even notice that good catch

Quote Originally Posted by swaptime86 View Post
    oh man i didnt even notice that good catch
    No problem. Although what they are doing is "legal", it's not ethical. They buy up running Mustangs and Capris and strip them down. That shows their business practices, and any issues buyers have will most likely go unresolved.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTTops View Post
    No problem. Although what they are doing is "legal", it's not ethical. They buy up running Mustangs and Capris and strip them down. That shows their business practices, and any issues buyers have will most likely go unresolved.
    Its sad destroying a car for a quick buck

86 50CPRI

TTop cars turn up here occasionally in the wrecking yard, many times with good solid doors, and good glass. The number of solid doors out here is disgusting, especially considering the shortage of them around the country, but there is no economical way to distribute them to those in need.

86 50CPRI

A local guy has both for sale here for $25.00 each. could not tell about shipping, never shipped glass