Close

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

[QUOTE=rancheronut;1370913]the idea is letting the tranny fluid make it into a bucket, not onto the floor?lol

[QUOTE=homer302;1371025]You know there is a drain in the side of the transmission...

Lol I know but I didn’t even think about it until it started draining out then I had to start running around to find my oil pan. By that time most of the fluid was on the floor. If there’s one thing I’m good at its making a mess.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    You are making great progress. Glad to see it is cooperating. I would replace at least the floorpan on that side for sure. There are just too many suspect looking areas and you are already right there. There are visible cracks outside that box you drew on there. Plus the seat support bracket is busted out. Just go ahead and get the foundation right. You can refurb some other parts that are easier to get to later down the road to save money and then replace those.
    You are probably right. I’m going to get it all down to the bare metal before I make a decision on it to get a better idea of what I have to work with.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Decisions, decisions, I know I am a long way from having to face this but I have been debating on the wheel choices that I have. I have narrowed it down to three choices and change my mind about every other week. TRX’s are not an option for me for the fact that I don’t want to put a ton of money into tires that will only fit (in my opinion) the ugliest Mustang rims ever made, (sorry trx lovers). So option one is to stay with the ponies that are on them. Of course I would have to restore them. Option two is to take the 10 holes off of my 85 vert and polish them, (I love polished 10 holes) then put the ponies on the vert which would then make me have to restore them anyway. Option 3 is going with a staggered look with the 10th anniversary rims that are pictured below.

At this time I am leaning on going with the polished 10 holes. That will help me keep a somewhat stock look and also give me two wheel options at my disposal and could even switch back and forth to suit my current fancy. But then again I do love those 10th anniversary wheels. I think I’m carpolar
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

I like the wheel in the pic above. To me, it's modern-looking ---- yet appropriate for the vehicle. That's my 2¢.

Quote Originally Posted by dburdyshaw View Post
    I like the wheel in the pic above. To me, it's modern-looking ---- yet appropriate for the vehicle. That's my 2¢.
    I agree ^^^^

I have again shifted gears. I put my 10 holes on my EXP today just for curiosity. I wasn’t sure if they would fit or not but they fit just right. The 225/60’s are way too big. I’m thinking 205’s front 215’s in the back. So now I’m thinking 10 holes on the EXP, Ponies on the 85 Vert and the 10th annies on the Turbo GT. And yah I know that I am just trying to justify getting a new set of wheel but it does sound like a good plan I mostly have to justify it to my wife.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

FEP Senior Member

Have you considered the stock 14" aluminum Gt wheels for your turbo? With a tall enough tire they look pretty good.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by MAPSVO View Post
    Have you considered the stock 14" aluminum Gt wheels for your turbo? With a tall enough tire they look pretty good.
    I have a little. I do like those allot better than the TRX wheels.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

I guess it depends on if you want the car to remain "stock" looking, or more modern as in a "resto-mod" 10-holes and Pony's just look out of place to me on anything other than '85/86 GT's and aero cars respectively. Perhaps it's because I know they arent year correct.

I vote for the 14" GT stockers:

Easy to find, easy to refurb, inexpensive tires.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 04-23-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I do like those ^^^^^ how hard are they to come by? I haven’t fully decided if I want to do some minor mods to it or if I want to go all original. I would like to keep it as original as possible. I have also considered getting black mesh wheels like homer302 got for his. My wife looked at those on yours and said that’s the best looking ones she’s seen so far. What size tires are those?
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Well the ponies are out. My bro in law just bought this 93 GT today that for some reason has 10 holes on it as you can see so it needs ponies not 10 holes therefore we are going to trade. I’m still not sure if they will end up on the GT Turbo or not but I wasn’t really into the ponies. But as I already said there’s a whole lot of work to be done before I need to make that decision.

This is what I want to do with them. My GT Turbo, 85 Vert, and my EXP are black so regardless of what I use them on the black paint on them will accent it very well.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

At this point I shouldn’t have any more surprises. Until I start digging into the motor. I did find a few extras surprises today as I was cleaning the inside of all the years of junk and getting all the wire out of the way to work on the floorboard. I have decided to replace the whole driver’s side floorboard. So while I wait for it to come in I will start my sanding party. I’m not going to cut the old one out until I get the new one in to make sure I don’t cut too much.

Aint it purdy A beautiful mess

The rear seams have come loose on the floor pans on both sides. I will need to make some kind of angle brace to weld in to give it strength. I also noticed the other day another wrinkle in the structure of the floor pan as you can see in the pic below.

Well apparently my unmolested Mustang isn’t so unmolested after all. Do you see what I see? Yep bondo. Whoever did it did a very good job. I talked to the man that I bought it from and it was a surprise to him as well. He owned it since 92 so apparently it happened early in its life. Don’t know why it didn’t show up on the carfax? Maybe they paid out of pocket and didn’t have an insurance claim???

If the end of the fuel filler neck is that purdy wonder what the inside of the gas tank looks like? Some of the rust came off when I took the seal off of it. The gas tank is solid but I can hear rust rattling around inside it.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Quote Originally Posted by rkuhn View Post

Aint it purdy A beautiful mess

No wonder they cover it up with a dash. Still following your progress though.

I do like those ^^^^^ how hard are they to come by? I haven’t fully decided if I want to do some minor mods to it or if I want to go all original. I would like to keep it as original as possible. I have also considered getting black mesh wheels like homer302 got for his. My wife looked at those on yours and said that’s the best looking ones she’s seen so far. What size tires are those?
    They're around. I did some fishing here at FEP and someone sold me a set for 200 including shipping. I've been restoring the wheels (not an easy job - for me at least), but I've been dragging my feet on the last one. The pic in the previous post at least shows me what they'll look like. Coincedentally, I'm buying a set of RWL Radial T/A's just like the ones in that pic.

One of the biggest surprises was finding a set of NOS center caps for 120.00... I did a parts search after the fact and found out that NOS center caps for the 16-hole wheels are still available through at least 3 difference sources.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I'm not dinging on Rkuhn at all so please don't take it as such. We all have our own way to do things, nothing wrong with that. The dash is not supposed to come out like that. Most of the harness in this picture is installed with the dash and is designed to be removed with the dash. There is about 1/4 the number of plugs that have to be disconnected to remove the dash and not leave all this mess in there. In fact. It is not a mess if you leave it attached. It's quite neat.
    There is no reason to remove the instrument cluster, HVAC controls glove box, speakers, amp and fog light switches, headlight switch etc. There are about 6 or 8 connectors and then the whole works comes right out. He is doing a complete and thorough restoration (much more involved than mine) and therefore he is going down to the last detail. Nothing wrong with that. Just saying you dont HAVE to do it is all.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    They're around. I did some fishing here at FEP and someone sold me a set for 200 including shipping. I've been restoring the wheels (not an easy job - for me at least), but I've been dragging my feet on the last one. The pic in the previous post at least shows me what they'll look like. Coincedentally, I'm buying a set of RWL Radial T/A's just like the ones in that pic.

One of the biggest surprises was finding a set of NOS center caps for 120.00... I did a parts search after the fact and found out that NOS center caps for the 16-hole wheels are still available through at least 3 difference sources.
    Thanks!!! Do you still have the info on the caps?
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I'm not dinging on Rkuhn at all so please don't take it as such. We all have our own way to do things, nothing wrong with that. The dash is not supposed to come out like that. Most of the harness in this picture is installed with the dash and is designed to be removed with the dash. There is about 1/4 the number of plugs that have to be disconnected to remove the dash and not leave all this mess in there. In fact. It is not a mess if you leave it attached. It's quite neat.
    There is no reason to remove the instrument cluster, HVAC controls glove box, speakers, amp and fog light switches, headlight switch etc. There are about 6 or 8 connectors and then the whole works comes right out. He is doing a complete and thorough restoration (much more involved than mine) and therefore he is going down to the last detail. Nothing wrong with that. Just saying you dont HAVE to do it is all.
    Lol Only about half of those wires are from under the dash. The harness that I have wrapped around the steering column is the harness that goes to the back of the car. You can see the tail lights hanging down. Also once I get the floor pans done I’m going to take that all down and go through it to make sure everything is up to par before I put the dash back on. I'm also striping the dash down to repaint it. It is faded from years in the open sun.
    Last edited by rkuhn; 04-20-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Thanks!!! Do you still have the info on the caps?
    I do...

Here are the sources (along with the part number):

http://www.rearcounter.com/E1ZZ-1130-A-parts195725.html
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

^^^^^ Thanks
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I do...

Here are the sources (along with the part number):

http://www.rearcounter.com/E1ZZ-1130-A-parts195725.html

Parts International will be the best source because they are dirt cheap. Although I'm not sure why they're showing so many in stock. If you need more, Collector's Auto Supply has 22 in stock.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

Lol Only about half of those wires are from under the dash. The harness that I have wrapped around the steering column is the harness that goes to the back of the car. You can see the tail lights hanging down. Also once I get the floor pans done I’m going to take that all down and go through it to make sure everything is up to par before I put the dash back on. I'm also striping the dash down to repaint it. It is faded from years in the open sun.
    No worries. I knew you had it under control. Glad you bit the bullet and went for the whole driver's side floorpan replacement. I think you will be glad you did down the road. Rust (and in the case of a Foxbody) cracking is like an iceberg. What you can see is only 10% of what's there, LOL. Keep up the good work.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Sorry...been gone all weekend. The factory GT wheels, some call 16-holes, I call them "slotted mags" are 14" and I belive 7" wide. Original tires were 205/70's and can be had new for ~$85 for General Altimax.

The wheels are pretty easy to come by (on this forum and ebay) and not too hard to clean up and paint if necessary.

Once I deterimine if mine are good enough to drive on and look at the date code, I'm either going to replace them or have them turned around as I am not a fan of the raised white lettering.

Ultimately I plan to put the original TRX's back on, but that will be a while....got to find the right set of used tires as I don't have any plans to drop $2k+ any time soon
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 04-23-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I’ve gone wireless. I was glad to discover that the wiring harnesses looked as though they were in good shape and haven’t been sliced and diced. Other than someone at one time or another wired the fan to come on when the ignition is on. But they didn’t butcher it up in the process. Was also glad to see even the radio wiring was still intact.

I’m making sure I label everything so I can figure it out later. I’ve also taken allot of detailed pics so I can have them as a reference. I won’t post all those where as to overflow this with too many pics.

If I get time tomorrow I will finish cleaning out the engine bay then give it a good pressure washing and degreasing.

How is it that those guys in overhauling can take a car apart in between commercials and it takes me all this time?
    Last edited by rkuhn; 04-24-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Good progress!!!!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Good progress!!!!
    Thanks
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Pressure washed the engine bay this morning. I sprayed it down with oven cleaner a few times and it took allot of the paint off which is ok with me. Less sanding

Now it’s ready for some body work. The new floor pan should be at anytime.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast