Close

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

LOL. I'm just giving you grief. I'm glad there is someone else around to distract the crowd. I have mine pretty much done and ready for paint and I feel bad I don't have more for the peanut gallery, LOL.

I guess we'll all just sit around all weekend until you get ready.......
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I was able to do some work today after all. The interior is all striped but the door panels and the dash but didn’t find the build sheet
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Not much progress on the Mustang today. I started to work on it this morning and took the hood scoop off. Then got to thinking I’ve already filled the utility room with all my interior (wife’s not happy about that) so where am I going to put everything else? When I did my 85 it was the only car I had in the garage. So I spent the day cleaning out and organizing the garage to make more room. Still gonna be tight but it is much better. I have too much junk. But all the obstacles are out of the way and I’m ready to go

This worries me the most about this restoration. I’ve never fooled with fiberglass before and as you can see the many years out in the South Mississippi heat was not kind to this hood scoop. If I can find another one in good shape I may just get it instead. That’s on the back burner for now though. It will probably one of my last projects.

65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Question In the lower part of the back side of the fender between the wheel and the door I have a strip of primer where it looks like something is supposed to be there and is missing. It is the same on the other fender as well. I have looked closely at Homer302’s car and other GT Turbo’s that I am aware of but do not see anything on theirs. Is anything supposed to go there? Should have the fenders off today so I will try and get a better pic.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Between the wheel openings on both sides of the car, the rocker panel and the fender and quarter panel was painted matte black. This was on '82 GL and GT, '83 GT and Turbo GT, and '84 GT and Turbo GT.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=128561
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Between the wheel openings on both sides of the car, the rocker panel and the fender and quarter panel was painted matte black. This was on '82 GL and GT, '83 GT and Turbo GT, and '84 GT and Turbo GT.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=128561
    Ok thanks!!! So that explains why it faded differently
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Mine does have them. They are impossible to see nearly. Waste of time and money on Ford's part if you ask me. At least on a black car.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Mine does have them. They are impossible to see nearly. Waste of time and money on Ford's part if you ask me. At least on a black car.
    That’s what I was thinking.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Didn’t get as much done as I anticipated, but removing the dash and the door windows kicked my hinny. I expected that the dash would be a pain but I had no idea that removing the door windows would be such a pain. I must have said 100 times there has got to be an easier way than this. Nevertheless their out as well as the dash, all the interior, the front cap, and sail panels.

My goal for tomorrow is to remove all trim as well as the rear hatch and disconnect as much as I can to remove the motor. It’s all coming together, or well apart.

I've got a mess on my hands

65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Wow, you ARE serious, LOL. Great progress there. This thing is going to blow mine out of the water. I still think it's easier to remove the dash with the radio, HVAC controls Cluster etc. still in it and unplug the dash harness from the car. That's just me though. Are you sure those are Marchals? They still don't look like it to me but hey. Sounds like you didn't find any new surprises today, that is a good thing.
    For the record, I agree. Removing T top glass is way harder than removing glass from a coupe or hatch. You wouldn't think so but it is. the glass is too big for the opening in the door. i can relate.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Wow, you ARE serious, LOL. Great progress there. This thing is going to blow mine out of the water. I still think it's easier to remove the dash with the radio, HVAC controls Cluster etc. still in it and unplug the dash harness from the car. That's just me though. Are you sure those are Marchals? They still don't look like it to me but hey. Sounds like you didn't find any new surprises today, that is a good thing.
    For the record, I agree. Removing T top glass is way harder than removing glass from a coupe or hatch. You wouldn't think so but it is. the glass is too big for the opening in the door. i can relate.
    Your right Homer302 there not Marshals. For some reason I was thinking that they were but they are aftermarket. That is how I pulled the dash out other than the air/heat controller. And no I didn’t find any surprises today. So far so good.

65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Good progress. I admire your bravery and sense of adventure.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Hey look I found some shiny black paint. Doesn’t look to good in the pic though. The weather-stripping liked this car so much it gave me a good fight not wanting to let go.

Something I will have to fix but shouldn’t be too bad.

I was surprised this was as clean as it was under the rear spoiler.

All I have left on the body is the rear hatch and the rear bumper cover. I’m going to go ahead and take the cover off but wait till I get some help in taking it off. So now I going to work on getting the motor ready to pull.
    Also any advice on how to get the trim off the T-Tops? I haven’t done a search yet.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Figured out how to get the trim off the T-Tops but some of the rivets came out between the sheet metal and the T-Top frame. Easy fix though. I have most everything up top for the motor to be pulled and should be ready to go for in the morning. Just need to go get the engine hoist from a friend.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Installed my new customized seat today It sits a little high so I may have to do some modifications

In all seriousness I didn’t get much done today. The motor is ready to pull but my friend that I am borrowing the engine hoist from got called into work and I couldn’t get it. If I can’t pick it up tomorrow I may start working on the floor pan. That will be my first project. I still haven’t decided if I’m going to cut the whole section out or just cut out and replace the rotten piece. Decisions decisions.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Nothing new to report today but I did have a question. It may show my stupidity when it comes to turbos but need to know. Anyway when I pulled the tube of that goes between the turbo and the air breather it had a good bit of oil in it. Is that normal or do I have issues???

Not sure what this is called but it had oil in it as well.

This goes under the radiator and holds the lower hose in place. I’ve never seen this before on a fox so is it unique to the turbos?

Still waiting for the engine hoist to pull the motor. It’s still just sitting there saying please take me out of here and do something with me.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Any Ideas on why I would have this oil isue??? ^^^^^^ Is this normal
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

As you know, I don't exactly have a show car, LOL and somewhere in my thread I took all that apart and it was bone dry so I would say some seal somewhere has failed. That is certainly not the end of the world. You can have these turbos rebuilt for $300! That is crazy. Might as well do that anyway. You are going as far as you are, I can't see how $300 would make any difference. You are going to have 10-12K in this car easy to put it back together as new already. Just rebuild it and don't worry about it.

EDIT: that lower hose support is not some rare Turbo item. Every single 4 cylinder Mustang (by far the majority of Mustangs made) have that. It is unique to the 4, but not the Turbo. Also, (again, just check out my ride if you want to see rough) the odometer on this car has gone around at LEAST once, maybe twice. You just simply can't build up that much grime otherwise. No worries. As eager as you are, this thing will be brand new shortly. If you never even washed a car or raised the hood after it left the dealer, it would not look like that. If you are lucky, it's 174K or 274K but who cares at this point? You are rebuilding everything so what difference does it make?
    Last edited by homer302; 04-14-2012 at 08:54 PM.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

As you know, I don't exactly have a show car, LOL and somewhere in my thread I took all that apart and it was bone dry so I would say some seal somewhere has failed. That is certainly not the end of the world. You can have these turbos rebuilt for $300! That is crazy. Might as well do that anyway. You are going as far as you are, I can't see how $300 would make any difference. You are going to have 10-12K in this car easy to put it back together as new already. Just rebuild it and don't worry about it.

EDIT: that lower hose support is not some rare Turbo item. Every single 4 cylinder Mustang (by far the majority of Mustangs made) have that. It is unique to the 4, but not the Turbo. Also, (again, just check out my ride if you want to see rough) the odometer on this car has gone around at LEAST once, maybe twice. You just simply can't build up that much grime otherwise. No worries. As eager as you are, this thing will be brand new shortly. If you never even washed a car or raised the hood after it left the dealer, it would not look like that. If you are lucky, it's 174K or 274K but who cares at this point? You are rebuilding everything so what difference does it make?
    Your right I do want to do everything right. I was thinking that this was not a normal issue. Just wondering what causes it. I may just get a new turbo for it. Not sure what I’m going to do power wise just yet.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

The Cat

Oil "sweat" in the turbo and in the air vane meter is normal (for my car anyways). Once you put car under boost oil can actually travel down the hose from the rear of the valve cover to the front elbow of your compressor housing. You can spin your compressor wheel on your turbo and check for side to side and back/forth shaft movement. If all of these feel reasonable and the wheel isnt hitting the actual compressor housing your turbo should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Oil "sweat" in the turbo and in the air vane meter is normal (for my car anyways). Once you put car under boost oil can actually travel down the hose from the rear of the valve cover to the front elbow of your compressor housing. You can spin your compressor wheel on your turbo and check for side to side and back/forth shaft movement. If all of these feel reasonable and the wheel isnt hitting the actual compressor housing your turbo should be fine.
    Thanks man I will check that out.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Finally got the motor pulled today
    Ready set go!!!

Letting the trans fluid drain

The black hole

Diamond in the ruff

She will sit here for a little while but hopefully not too long.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

And the body work begins!!! Going to do the floorboard first then crawl under the car and sand and paint the bottom. I’m not looking forward to that. I’m seriously considering cutting out this section and forming a piece of sheet metal to replace it rather than rather than pay $130 for a whole section when the rest of the floorboard is very solid. This is the only rotten spot. I’m also planning on putting in Sub frame connectors with the seat brackets that will also give it some extra stability. So it shouldn’t be an issue. Right??? My goal is to do everything to a high quality but I don’t see doing unnecessary things.

65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

the idea is letting the tranny fluid make it into a bucket, not onto the floor?lol

[QUOTE=rkuhn;1370806]
    Letting the trans fluid drain

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

You know there is a drain in the side of the transmission...

You are making great progress. Glad to see it is cooperating. I would replace at least the floorpan on that side for sure. There are just too many suspect looking areas and you are already right there. There are visible cracks outside that box you drew on there. Plus the seat support bracket is busted out. Just go ahead and get the foundation right. You can refurb some other parts that are easier to get to later down the road to save money and then replace those.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast