Close

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default rkuhn's 84 GT Turbo Resurrection

After many, many, many setbacks I am finally starting the work on this car. I have had it about a year now and have basically done nothing to it. Now I am ready to go. This is the thread where I originally introduced the car to you guys and told the story of how I bought it.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=112575

My car is almost a twin to homer302’s and I’ve been enjoying his build thread and learning allot. A couple of months ago I changed all the fluids out and with no luck tried to start it. The fuel pump wasn’t getting any power to it so I changed out the ignition because it had fallen apart. I’m assuming from sitting up so long outside on a blacktop driveway in the South Mississippi heat it must have melted. Still no power to the fuel pump???

I did pull it out about a month ago and washed it for the first time in many years. Unfortunately it didn’t shine it up to well due to the fact that most of the paint is off of it. Other than the surface rust it is a very solid car though. The only rot I have found is about a dime size whole under the driver’s seat. That is from looking under the car I have not pulled the carpet out yet.

Anyway I was told that the reason that the car was set up in the first place was due to a blown head gasket. I was hoping that they were wrong and that it stopped running from the fuel pump not working because the oil and water looked clean. Well today I borrowed a friend of mines compression checker, (don’t know the proper name) and checked it out. Unfortunately it looks like it’s blown. #1 had around 130 psi #2 had around 30psi #3 had around 75psi and #4 had around 130psi. So I am assuming it is blown between 2 and 3???

This is some of the documentation I have gathered for the car so far.

This is FoxChassis breakdown I can’t find where he broke down the buck tag but I know he did.

VIN
    1FA = Ford vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = manual seatbelts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    28 = Mustang 3-door hatchback
    W = turbocharged 2.3L engine (Turbo GT)
    0 = VIN check digit
    E = 1984 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    147700 = consecutive unit number

VC Label
    F0139 = 139 lbs front accessory reserve load
    R0059 = 59 lbs rear accessory reserve load
    Exterior Paint Colors - ?? =
    DSO - ??
    Body - 61B = Mustang 3-door hatchback
    Int Trim - HD = cloth Sport Performance seating, Canyon Red interior
    A/C - T1 = tape/Turbo Gt decal code Black/Silver Metallic exterior
    R - 8 = AM/FM stereo auto-reverse cassette
    S - D = T-roof
    Ax - R = 3.45:1, Traction-Lok
    Tr - 2 = T-5 transmission
    55 = D8BZ-5310-BF front springs
    ZZ = E4BZ-5560-J rear springs

My goal is to do 100% of the work on this car. It won’t be a total restoration but mostly a mechanical and cosmetic restoration. I plan on having it look mostly stock with the exception of different wheels and lowered. I will also add some mild power mods. Not sure what it will be as of yet I am still researching and debating that.
    My battle plan
    1. Disassemble the car.
    2. Body and paint work
    3. Interior
    4. Redo the motor/ not sure to what extent yet???
    5. Put it all back together
    6. Suspension work

I’m sure these things will change as I go along. Also I know this will be a very long process but I am excited about getting it started. I am off work all next week for Easter break so I will put a big dent in the disassembly next week. Hopefully I will have it all done next week so I can get to moving with the body work. I plan on keeping an extensive photo journal so I will be posting a lot of pics. I didn’t mean for this intro to be so long, sorry about that, so enough yakking and off to work.

This is how the car looks today

Last edited by rkuhn; 04-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Was I supposed to put this here??? Or in the Online Car Show??? If I goofed please move it.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

If you are restoring it, it goes here... i think the online car show section is more for "hey, i washed and waxed my car today, check it out" kinda stuff... could be wrong tho...

car looks like a good starting point... good luck xD

Looking forward to your photo journal. These sorts of threads are some of my favorites. Good luck.

One piece of advice on the disassembly: take your time, take lots of pictures, use well-labeled baggies to store parts. You never know when that clip or screw you almost threw away is some special piece you can't find anywhere else.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Thanks!!! I am restoring it. It will be a long slow journey though.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Quote Originally Posted by Avarus View Post
    If you are restoring it, it goes here... i think the online car show section is more for "hey, i washed and waxed my car today, check it out" kinda stuff... could be wrong tho...

car looks like a good starting point... good luck xD
    Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    Looking forward to your photo journal. These sorts of threads are some of my favorites. Good luck.

One piece of advice on the disassembly: take your time, take lots of pictures, use well-labeled baggies to store parts. You never know when that clip or screw you almost threw away is some special piece you can't find anywhere else.
    Thanks I am restoring it!!!

Thanks also for the advice. I am going to put everything in bags and tape all baged hardware to each part. And lable it
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

I have been working on these and taking them apart since they were new so I didn't have to label everything but it never hurts to be safe. You cant OVER label, that's for sure. For example, I put EVERYTHING that came from both door panels in one bag, everything that came off the dash in one, everything from the console etc.
    Are the marchals still there or are those different fog lights? It really looks very complete. I have been toying with the idea of painting mine. I know if it was white, I would do it myself but I am just not sure with it being black. I am a perfectionist and orange peel doesn't look good on a black car. I can't wait until you get started. I hope it comes out with no surprises. Looks like a good car that has not been messed with.
    What's funny is that the car is possibly the easiest car there ever was to put a head gasket on. Even if they had paid someone to do it, it's like 1/2 of labor and $100 in parts. Crazy that they let the car go like that just for that.
    Congrats on saving it!

Probably the same jack-hole who drilled all those screws in the door.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Yes I agree it’s a shame it has been let go for something that is a simple fix. And yes it does have the marshals. U have not been able to get them to work though. But as far as I can tell it is a completely original car. It has 73xxx on the odometer and the man I bought it from says that is correct. He is the second owner.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Well that’s not pretty The seats are out as well as the console and the carpet is about to be out. As I was pulling the seats out I noticed that the bracket was broken or rusted off on the pass seat. Is this a common problem? Kinda makes me scared to pull the carpet out.

Also found these under the seat. Do these go on this car somewhere? If so where?
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Nope, those don't go anywhere. "Turbos" were all stickers.

That is a sign of a leaky T top there. I also dread to see what you find. But you are ambitious and seem competent so I am sure you can resolve it.

Good Luck!

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

The turbo emblems look like they are from a '79 Turbo. They went on the side of the front facing hood scoop on the old carb'd turbos. The 83-84 EFI Turbos were stickers on the fenders and one on the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Nope, those don't go anywhere. "Turbos" were all stickers.

That is a sign of a leaky T top there. I also dread to see what you find. But you are ambitious and seem competent so I am sure you can resolve it.

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquejp View Post
    The turbo emblems look like they are from a '79 Turbo. They went on the side of the front facing hood scoop on the old carb'd turbos. The 83-84 EFI Turbos were stickers on the fenders and one on the hatch.
    Thanks guy’s I didn’t think so but was making sure. If anyone needs them I will be more than happy to slip them in an envelope and mail them to you. Just PM me

The T-Top do leak. When I washed it a couple weeks ago I sprayed all around them and the pass seat was soaked. I told my wife that it’s ok as long as the driver’s side stay’s dry.

Also the floor pan wasn’t as bad as I though it would be Still rust on it that needs to be dealt with though. I will post some pics later this eve.
    Last edited by rkuhn; 04-04-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

those look to be the same ones that are on my hood scoop on the capri

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I like it! Thanks for posting your Marti and the pics! A TN Car with a ton of options!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Ok so here is the ugly. I’m going to replace this section.

The rest of the floor pan is pretty solid other than some surface rust.
    Unfortunately I didn’t find the build sheet.

65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Well it could have been worse. Are you the one who removed the sound deadener under the rear seat?

It looks weird on the transmission tunnel and surrounding area too. Like someone tried to heat it. There is black paint on the console mounting bracket too. Just looks disturbed.

What is going on here? Are these cracks?

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Senior Member

I had cracks just like that in the same place on my turbo conv. I welded them and made a plate to go on top to add strength. If you need anything I have a bunch of spares for the turbo cars.
    Mark
    86 SVO,(9L)
    94 Cobra
    70 Boss 302 (OFO2G121150)
    54 Ford Victoria

Well it could have been worse. Are you the one who removed the sound deadener under the rear seat?

It looks weird on the transmission tunnel and surrounding area too. Like someone tried to heat it. There is black paint on the console mounting bracket too. Just looks disturbed.

What is going on here? Are these cracks?

Wow you are very perceptive Yes I did pull and pry off all the sound deadener. I’m going back with dynomat. I didn’t even notice the crack until you pointed it out. It is cracked and dented. Not sure why??? The car has never been wrecked. I know verts are prone to twisting not sure about T-Top cars. It has no sub frame connectors. According to the man I bought it from who owned it since 92 the car is unmolested so I don’t know what that’s all about. U will get a better look at it tomorrow in the daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by MAPSVO View Post
    I had cracks just like that in the same place on my turbo conv. I welded them and made a plate to go on top to add strength. If you need anything I have a bunch of spares for the turbo cars.
    Thanks MAPSVO I may hit you up on some stuff. Also do you have any pics of your fix???
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

My 83L t-top car cracked there, just not that bad.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    My 83L t-top car cracked there, just not that bad.
    So this apparently is a common problem. That makes me feel better. Just another project to add to the list.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

I am off work till the 16th but I won’t be able to do anything to it until Monday due to a bunch of Easter activities with the family, (that’s worth waiting for though), but first thing Monday morn I will start the disassembly and try to have it all done by the time I go back to work. I feel like a little kid waiting to open up his Christmas present.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Looks good. Gotta love that black and red with the t-tops!!
    2005 Mustang GT- 13.62 @102 All Stock- RIP 8-29-05 9:17 AM
    2003 Redfire Terminator
    1985 Mustang GT T-Top- Almost Done

Looking forward to seeing the rebuild of this one. Subscribing!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Yeah, this tease was just wrong. I have been waiting and waiting for him to get started and now he says we have to wait 3 more days!

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Yeah, this tease was just wrong. I have been waiting and waiting for him to get started and now he says we have to wait 3 more days!
    Hey now I did say it was gonna be a slow go. I’m a very busy man you know. I have Easter Eggs to dye this weekend then I have to hide them and not to mention all the candy I’m going to be forced to eat so my children won’t be forced to eat it all by themselves and tomorrow my arm is being twisted to go to a crawfish boil at my dad’s in Louisiana.

I did however get my own SD card for the camera specifically for this build today so that is progress
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast