Close

FEP Senior Member

Default S197 Bullits on my 86?

I have another thread going for my SN95 brake upgrade on my 86. I have the 97 8.8 swapped in and I am going to do the fronts next week or so. I am also using the SN95 A arms to widen out the front track. I have access to a set of 05 Bullit wheels and I was wondering how these would fit the front. I have read thread after thread that says they will fit the rear great. I am using 94-95 spindles with 01 PBR calipers and I would like to know what to expect as far as fitment. Some threads say I will need spacers and others say I will not.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

A 9" wide wheel with a +36mm offset will fit up front with sn95 arms and 94/95 spindles.

Here is mine with stock 05 gt wheels. 95GT A- arms, spindles, and 8.8.

FEP Senior Member

Thanks guys. I think I am on the right track. I already have all of the SN95 parts for my car and this is good news.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffinator6 View Post
    A 9" wide wheel with a +36mm offset will fit up front with sn95 arms and 94/95 spindles.

Here is mine with stock 05 gt wheels. 95GT A- arms, spindles, and 8.8.

I am confused by your post. Just in case, the stock 05 GT wheels are not 9" wheels.

As for the 9" wheel with 36mm offset, that should fit up front as you stated with the Sn95 spindles and control arms, although there will most likely be signficant rubbing on the front fender and possibly the wheel arch. The use of the later model 91-93 fenders or the 84-86 SVO fenders may be needed

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 04-02-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

My car isn't lowered or anything and I am hoping they will clear. It would be awesome if they would.

I originally thought I had 02 bullit wheels but it turns out they're 08. The back looks awesome and there's no rubbing. The front is right on the edge of the fender but it only rubs when I turn all the way to the locks. Bumps and dips haven't been an issue yet as far as rubbing.

I went against my better judgement and used 99 spindles because it was part of a package deal of sorts (long story). I plan on replacing them with 95's when I find some at a decent price. They're going for about 300 a set new and the salvage yards around here don't have any

As soon as I get my brake issues resolved I plan on doing a write up with a few pics

FEP Senior Member

Which A arms did you use?

I used 95 A-arms with new 95 ball joints. I also used SN95 struts and 99 spindles. I changed the rack out and replaced it with a new Fox rack (one for an 86 GT). I used 95 inner and outer tie rods to compensate for the added length of the A-arms and spindles. The inner tie rods screwed right into the Fox rack.

You may also need to do this if you use the 95 arms. Its not that big of deal to change out.

FEP Senior Member

Okay. I am also using the entire SN95 rack with mine. I am under the impression it is better. I believe your spindles move the wheels out more than my 95 spindles. That may help me. I am going to use the 87-93 V8 struts on mine. I am going to look at the wheels tomorrow and try and come to a price we both like. I am very much ready to have my car steering and stopping the way I think it should.

The SN rack is better and I would have went with that but I was running out of time and funds. The steering adapter needed for the swap just wasn't in the budget

The 95 spindles will be 8mm (~5/16") further into the fender well and will match up better with the rear track width.

My rear wheels are tucked nicely into the fender wells whereas the fronts are right on the edge

The 94/95 spindles widen the front track width by 3.1mm (.120") per side and the 96-04 spindles widen the front track by 8.1mm (.320") per side.

87-04 Front struts are the same. The rear shocks are different from 94-04. The SN95 rear shocks offer several benefits on a Fox Mustang.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am confused by your post. Just in case, the stock 05 GT wheels are not 9" wheels.
    Trey
    Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't saying my stock wheels were 9" wide.

Here are the pics of my wheels. Hope it helps. sorry for the not so good phone shots

The string shown in the last two show where the wheels are in relation to the edge of the fender.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Alawicious; 04-06-2012 at 02:13 PM.

FEP Senior Member

Thank you sir. That looks great. It is going to keep me motivated to keep going on mine.

No problem.

It'll be challenging but worth it in the end IMO