Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fuel tank comparison F2C-F2A

Well, I finally got a chance to get out and work on my old fuel tank. Cut the straps and hammered the bolts to the side. I was able to save the bolts and nuts this way. (thanx to trw2003 for his advice)
    I was wrong on the opening of the old tank. The opening on the F2A is 2 1/2" The filler pipe is 2" OD. The rubber grommet took up more space then I thought. The new tank F2C has a 2 1/4" opening.
    One thing I found interesting is my old tank has a round dome right where the new tank has the FI sender/pump opening. See pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com

Here is the F2A we installed in the early 1990s and removed in 2008. It does not have the 'dome' where the F2C has the opening for the fuel pump. I do not recall our original tank having that dome either. Do you know how old your F2A is?

Are you 100 percent certain that the filler pipe used with your F2A is 2" OD? Can you post a pic of your old and new filler pipes side by side?
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

I kinda wondered about the age of this "original" tank myself. Maybe it was changed sometime in it's life but the car only has 56K on it and everything seemed original when I removed it. straps, tube, rubber isolators between tank and trunk floor, pick-up connections, and rust all lead me to think it's original.
    As for the filler tube, I was wrong again. It is 2 1/8" OD. It is slightly smaller down by where it goes into the tank at about 2 1/16" and that is where I measured the first time. I don't have a new filler tube. I'm reusing this one.

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...ungy/001-1.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd357/sbungy/002.jpg
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    As for the filler tube, I was wrong again. It is 2 1/8" OD. It is slightly smaller down by where it goes into the tank at about 2 1/16" and that is where I measured the first time. I don't have a new filler tube. I'm reusing this one.
    I still think that your filler pipe is closer to 2-1/4" OD. I just remeasured our original pipe that was used with the F2A and with a dial calipers it checks 2.22 - 2.24. The pipe tapers at the very end (last 1/4") to about 2.08 (its just tapered to act as a 'lead in' for assembly into the tank grommet). We think you will find that filler pipe will not work with the F2C tank but maybe you will prove us wrong.

The filler pipe is definitely 2 1/8". I also noticed a part number on the black plastic box that the filler pipe mounts to. It starts out with D9 (1979) So that would be original to the car, and it has only the four holes for the filler pipe mounting. (hasn't been redrilled)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

Double post
    Last edited by TWR2003; 04-05-2012 at 11:05 AM.

I was wondering if that original tank has a part number on it anywhere?

My guess is that the lip on original (F2A) rubber sealing ring would accomodate a 2-1/8" to 2-1/4" diameter filler pipe. Can you look at the part number on the sealing ring on your original tank (it should be visible on the outside of the part and should have a 9072 core number)? Did you use calipers to measure the pipe?

Where I think you may run into issues is when you try to use the 2-1/8" filler pipe in the F2C with its 2-1/4" opening and its smaller (than F2A) rubber seal (which I recall was a tight fit in the F2C with the 2" filler pipe).

I can't see any numbers on the tank. It is pretty crusted over with rust, dirt, and undercoating. I was able to see a number on the rubber seal after washing it off. there is the oval Ford logo and VD8AC-9 Also it's possible the V at the begining is a triangle symbol with the top part difficult to see.
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

I can't see any numbers on the tank. It is pretty crusted over with rust, dirt, and undercoating. I was able to see a number on the rubber seal after washing it off. there is the oval Ford logo and VD8AC-9 Also it's possible the V at the begining is a triangle symbol with the top part difficult to see.
    The 'V' is a triangle. I think you have a partial pn. Probably like D8AC-9072-? Our original seal (or a replacement that we got when we replaced the original tank sometime in the early 1990s) is D7DC-9072-AB. It fits the F2As 2-1/2 opening and the original 2-1/4 (2.23) OD filler pipe. Interestingly it has the old style 'FOMOCO' in a rectangle logo.

After looking again the PN is D8AC-9072-AA. The second A is pretty much a guess. The numbers are very difficult to read. I got my new grommet in the mail today. It's supposed to be for a 79-93 Mustang. Part number on the grommet doesn't match the number on the package. Grommet number is F4ZC-9072-DB. Package number is F4ZZ-9072-DA. The "inside" groove is a smaller diameter to fit the new tank's opening (F2C)
    As for the filler tube. It's a 100% no-go. No way no how. I test fit it without the grommet and it does go into the F2C but it only leaves about 1/16" clearance. There is no where near enough room for a grommet.
    So would an 87-93 Mustang filler tube work? There are a couple of those in the JY close to me that I can pick from.
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

After looking again the PN is D8AC-9072-AA. The second A is pretty much a guess. The numbers are very difficult to read. I got my new grommet in the mail today. It's supposed to be for a 79-93 Mustang. Part number on the grommet doesn't match the number on the package. Grommet number is F4ZC-9072-DB. Package number is F4ZZ-9072-DA. The "inside" groove is a smaller diameter to fit the new tank's opening (F2C)
    As for the filler tube. It's a 100% no-go. No way no how. I test fit it without the grommet and it does go into the F2C but it only leaves about 1/16" clearance. There is no where near enough room for a grommet.
    So would an 87-93 Mustang filler tube work? There are a couple of those in the JY close to me that I can pick from.
    F4ZC-DB is the engineering number. F4ZZ-DA is the part number. That grommet may work fine but the actual correct grommet is for that tank is E2DZ-9072-B

I dont think the Mustang filler pipe will work, its not bent the same way. If you want to try it they are the same on all with CFI/EFI 85-93. The carbd and/or earlier years might work too but doubtful on that. The late Mustang pipe is a 3 bolt mount and will not fit to your plastic filler pipe housing which is 4 bolt. And I doubt the Mustang filler housing will fit a Fairmont.

If you go with a pipe from a later LTD/Marquis (or possibly 82 Granada/Cougar) that too is a 3 hole flange so get the plastic filler housing that goes with it. That housing is the exactly the same as the Fairmont except for the 3 holes. Interestingly the 2" filler pipe can come from a sedan or wagon even though the tanks were not the same. We only found that out when we went to get one and the only car we could choose from was a sedan (83 or 84 Marquis IIRC). When we got the pipe out and compared it to the original is was identically shaped but longer for the part that is inside the tank. If you can find one that setup is plug/play.

The only other suggestion is that Ive read about a few guys that modified their existing 2-1/4" filler pipe by cutting it just outside of where it goes into the tank and grafting (welding, etc) on a length of 2" pipe that goes thru the grommet and into the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    I said 'grafting' in my post because Ive read about a few different ways that guys connected a 2" pipe to the original 2-1/4". But I would NOT avocate using a rubber hose and clamps especially since going from 2 different diameters. I think that you want to braze or weld the pipes together for structural integrity. We still feel the BEST solution is to obtain the correct 2" filler pipe from a later Fox LTD/Marquis.

I definitly want to avoid the rubber also. I'm hitting up a JY after work tomorrow that I know has an 84 LTD wagon. Hopefully the filler tube is still there. If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably have the local muffler place cut me a piece of pipe to fit. (I know the guy) I'm thinking maybe they can enlarge one end to mate up with the bigger pipe I have, then weld it on.
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

I definitly want to avoid the rubber also. I'm hitting up a JY after work tomorrow that I know has an 84 LTD wagon. Hopefully the filler tube is still there. If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably have the local muffler place cut me a piece of pipe to fit. (I know the guy) I'm thinking maybe they can enlarge one end to mate up with the bigger pipe I have, then weld it on.
    That LTD wagon would definately be the way to go. Keep in mind that the filler pipe is easy to remove once the tank is out and very difficult to remove with the tank still in. Some JYs remove the tanks some dont. When we got ours from that 83/84 sedan it had the tank still in it. And the car was flat on the ground (no wheels) so we werent getting the tank out. What we ended up doing was not pretty but the yard didnt care about that car. We actually cut a large amount of the qtr sheet metal away around the fuel filler door area after we unbolted the filler housing from the qtr (4 bolts). With the sheet metal cut away we were able to pull the filler pipe/housing out horizontally. I remember we had to spray alot of WD40 where the pipe went into the grommet to help it out. Keep in mind that the 2" pipe will be much longer than the 2-1/4" pipe on the section that is actually inside the tank. The difference is like 3" inside on the 2-1/4" and 11" inside on the 2" pipe. Ive read that the longer pipe was a result of the fuel tank debacle Ford had with the Pinto. Most of the fuel spill on impact was due to short filler pipes actually being pulled out of the tank - leaving a big opening for fuel to spill out.
    Last edited by TWR2003; 04-11-2012 at 05:47 PM.

11" holy cow! Well that tank has been dropped already cuz I got the sender/pump plug off of it. I removed the box and gas door already to lower the tank. I'm just hoping no one has taken the filler pipe yet. I'll be sure to bring some WD-40 with me.
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

11" holy cow! Well that tank has been dropped already cuz I got the sender/pump plug off of it. I removed the box and gas door already to lower the tank. I'm just hoping no one has taken the filler pipe yet. I'll be sure to bring some WD-40 with me.
    Speaking of the pump/sender connector - keep in mind that the stock Fairmont sender wires (2) pass thru from the trunk area thru a small oval hole with a matching right angle molded grommet. The new 4 pin connector will not fit thru that hole. What we ended up doing is making a new 4 wire rear 'harness' but used the existing right angle grommet and hole. We actually found another right angle grommet that we removed the wires from and then carefully threaded 4 new wires thru it. A tight fit but OK. Then we assembled the contacts from the new 4 pin connector and fed them thru the existing hole and attached the connector housing once the wires were thru and underneath. BTW you can clearly see how far the 2" filler pipe goes into the tank

You can still get that connector new:
    http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...ector-Kit.html
    but Ive found the contacts from all these made-in-china connectors and sockets to be total crap

So If I read this correctly I can just weld a 2in od pipe to my existing 2 1/4 filler to use the f2c tank

That is probably the best way to go if you can't find the correct filler tube. That is the route I was going to go untill I got the filler tube from the LTD wagon.
    Also, the pump/sender hanger assembly is extremely difficult to find, if not impossible, so hopefully you have one of those already.
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd

www.RaceWRL.com

The filler pipe I used was from an '82 Futura. Could have been any body style, I guess, since they were all Futuras by then (except the wagon, which was a Granada for '82). Anyway, it WAS way longer, so I was having fitment issues with the other end of the tank at first, so I cut it down a little bit. Then I was having issues with the pump constantly shutting off at the gas station from splash back, so at that point I cut it down to the same length as the original. Seems to be fine so far.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

It's supposed to be for a 79-93 Mustang. Part number on the grommet doesn't match the number on the package. Grommet number is F4ZC-9072-DB. Package number is F4ZZ-9072-DA. The "inside" groove is a smaller diameter to fit the new tank's opening (F2C)
    The numbers don't match because Ford does not put part numbers on parts, they're what's called an engineering number or i.d. number (25 years in Ford parts ) Order an E1AZ-9072-B from your local Ford or Lincoln dealer, should work with your combo.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

"Engineering" numbers piss me off. Why'd they have to make them look JUST like part numbers? If it's a different system, make it different!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    "Engineering" numbers piss me off. Why'd they have to make them look JUST like part numbers? If it's a different system, make it different!
    Because Ford . 25 years of selling Ford parts and I still get headaches from their numbering system!
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

That is probably the best way to go if you can't find the correct filler tube. That is the route I was going to go untill I got the filler tube from the LTD wagon.
    Also, the pump/sender hanger assembly is extremely difficult to find, if not impossible, so hopefully you have one of those already.
    Arent the pump hanger/sending units readily available new aftermarket?
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

I think I'm going to have to go this route because I'm having no luck finding this harness used.. Also couldn't find the correct filler neck so I guess I will be experimenting with welding on the 2inch section

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast