Close

Default 4180c choke questions

After having my 4180c fitted with the proper Holley kit and mods done as found on this site, I am having a choke issue.
    Upon start up, the car revs to 1400rpm clearly, then about 5 seconds in, it get's loaded up and crop dusts the sky. I then kick it down and it runs to about 1000 rpm and again is super fat, nothing but raw fuel into the sky. If I kick the throttle down again, it clears up a bit and after about 1 minute will run smoke free at around 1200 rpm.
    When the car heats up, it runs great however still appears to run rich only when it is de-celling(hit the gas, then let off and you can see and smell raw fuel when motor is coming down to an idle.
    I did the metering block mod,along with the larger jetting as found here in numerous threads. Stock 85 motor, appears untouched and the choke did work prior to rebuild. I just had the choke idle speed checked and adjusted in hopes that was the problem however no such luck. Thanks in advance

First step is to make sure it actually is a choke issue. Pull the air cleaner lid off, then do
    your cold start. When the engine starts to load up, reach in an open the choke blade. If
    that doesn't stop it from loading up, it's not a choke issue.

I'm betting this is either an internal fuel leak, or the float valves aren't sealing completely.
    Removing the sight plugs would confirm the latter.

Is your fuel pump stock?
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

yes stock fuel pump
    i will try the advice on cold start
    another question, could the fuel line filter that sits inside the bolt be put in the wrong way and still run correctly?

Yes, but it drastically reduces the surface area of the filter, making it more restrictive,
    and can cause the filter to push off it's seat when fuel demand is high. Blow through
    each end of the filter and you'll be surprised how much difference it makes.

The open end of the filter needs to be toward the fuel line.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Well, GSXR, did you get it fixed?
    79 Coupe, 357W balanced, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, Holley 750, C4 roller, 4.56 8.8 spool, 26 MT Drags, 11.00 @ 123
    83 Mustang GT, 88 GT engine, T5

Sorry for the long delay, and no, i did not yet. It seems that the choke is working properly and I was told to bring the entire car back, the carb pro will remove and recheck it and go from there. I was able to back out the previously blocked from the factory screws and no difference. He feels it is a choke issue for the very choked out initial cold start however I learned here that the choke is getting proper voltage and appears to work as it should. He is not an expert in these particular carbs and so I needed to do more homework to eliminate certain possibilities, now I wait for a nice day to bring the car back