Close

Smile 81 Capri help needed

Hi Everyone, Thanks for taking a look and any help you can give.

1981 Mercury Capri RS 6 Cyl, 3.3L 200

Needs rear end cover & gasket. What size is the rear end and what type and quantity of rear end fluid do I need?

Car has a 4 speed manual transmission. I want to change the transmission fluid. What type and quantity of transmission fluid do I need?

Chris Wood

Rear should be a 7.5". It should take about two quarts, I personally like royal purple's line of products, RP's MaxGear 75w-90; and for the limited slip application--it already has the friction modifier in it.

As for the transmission, it should take about 3 quarts if I remember correctly, and for that I like the RP Synchromax.

Oriley's carries the RP line.

Chris may be correct above, but my information shows that you might have the 6.75 rear end instead of the 7.5. The door tag should help determine which you have.

Also on the SROD, IIRC they used 70/80w gear oil instead of the Dexron II or Mercon.

I could be wrong, but I remember all of the SROD's I have removed had gear oil in them. Now where or not that was correct. . .

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

It might be smaller than 7.5. The white Black Magic owned by 'terrymwalsh' is an '81 with the 3.3, and it came with the 6.75 rear end.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 1981Capri View Post

Car has a 4 speed manual transmission.
    Is that trans a true 4 speed or the SROD 3 + OD?

Thanks
    T
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    Is that trans a true 4 speed or the SROD 3 + OD?

Thanks
    T
    It might be the T-10 or the super T-10 IIRC. Please correct me if im wrong because id like to know to for curiosity sake .

All the information I have shows the transmission should be a SROD. Which is a 4 speed transmission or as some call it a 3 + OD. Again, all of this is just based upon the different books and manuals that I have. I have no door tag, transmission tag, or rear end tag information to go by either.

I am sure Fox Chassis has better information than I do, maybe he can post up better information.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

There was a 6.75" rear from '79 through '82. Not sure which powertrains got that 6.75" rear but the 2.3T and the V8 got the 7.5" rear. The door tag won't tell you the ring gear size, it will only tell you the gear ratio. The axle tag will tell you the ring gear size. The code will be "6 7" for the 6.75" rear and "7 5" for the 7.5" rear. I made an axle tag decoder here.

There were three different 4-sp transmissions in '81, at least according to the book I have. At least one of them (the SROD, code 4 on the door tag) had overdrive (3+1). Not sure about the other two (code 6 Borg Warner, and code 7 Hummer). I have only ever seen the code 4 trans as the manual behind the 3.3L in '81. But that is just from the door tag data that I have collected. The auto trans behind the 3.3L has only ever been a C4 (code W), again just from the data I have collected. I have seen the code 7 trans behind the 2.3L (non-turbo). I have not ever seen an '81 door tag with a code 6 trans. The last year I saw that code 6 trans on door tags was '80, and only behind the 2.3L and 2.3T.

There was also a 5-sp w/ OD but that was only behind the 4-cyl (turbo or non-turbo).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks FoxChassis!

That information matches what I have in my books. Depending on the gear ratio the OP has, it might be able to determine the rear axle. I have a list of different ratios available so that might work. Otherwise as stated above you will just need to get the tag information off the rear axle.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Being a 3.3L with 4-sp OD, there were two ratios available:

3.08:1 (50-state)
    2.47:1 (49-state)

Both were available with or without Traction-Lok.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I take back what I said about not seeing a code 6 trans in '81. I did not check the Capri door tags, I only checked the Mustang door tags. There are a couple '81 Capris in the dtabase with a 3.3L and a code 6 4-sp.

Also forget the above post about 3.08 or 2.47 being the only two ratios. I should remember to always check the actual data against what the books and factory literature says, before I say something wasn't available.

Here is the data that I have collected so far for of the combos of axle ratios/transmissions behind the 3.3L (Capri and Mustang):

8/W
    B/6
    M/W
    Y/4

8 = 2.73:1 non-locking
    B = 2.47:1 non-locking
    M = 2.73:1 locking
    Y = 3.08:1 non-locking

4 = 4-sp manual SROD (Tremec)
    6 = 4-sp manual (Borg Warner)
    W = 3-sp auto C4
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Ok Great thanks for all your help.

Thanks again for your help. We want to keep the original motor but we want to make it go faster. What do you recommend to tweak it up and make it go faster?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Being a 3.3L with 4-sp OD, there were two ratios available:

3.08:1 (50-state)
    2.47:1 (49-state)

Both were available with or without Traction-Lok.
    I can even imagine how slow a 3.3 with a 2.47 would be...
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306

That's why we want to make it go faster

Well if you do.t want to change the engine. Swapping to a better gear in the rear end will help a ton. I'm not sure about a 6.75 but I know if you swap in a 7.5 or an8.8 you can get basically any gear ration you want.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

If you are going to keep the engine, switching to a 7.5 would probably be your best option, it is little bit lighter than the 8.8 and will be plenty strong.

As stated above the 7.5 will work just fine with your 3.3L. There are plenty of ratios available that will work just fine for you. Depending on your area you might be able to find someone upgrading from a 7.5 to an 8.8 and you can get the 7.5 for next to nothing. Check out craigslist, etc. and I am sure you will find something. Essentially all your V8 and turbo Foxes up until 85 had the 7.5. After that only the 4cyl Aero cars had the 7.5.

Of course, T-birds/Cougars are another option, but you may have to deal with different track widths depending on the year model and brakes.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I was perusing older threads and I wanted to post and say thanks for the great info in this thread.

Also for the sake of info, my 1981 Zephyr wagon with the 255 V8 has a 7.5 rear and 2.26 gearing, I believe.
    Last edited by Jimbo302; 10-04-2013 at 10:47 PM.

My '81 Mustang has the lovely weak kneed ex Pinto and Mustang II 6.75".

Lots of the San Jose high mount blue engines 3.3's often do. I think 2.73 was the only Fox I6 6.75 ratio, but some 3.08's and 3.45's were 6.75's too. Some 3.08's and all 2.47 were 7.5" diff ratios. The same as the ranger Code 72 3.08 and Code 74 3.45's

The repudedly 205 lb-ft limit C3 automatic was a feature, and some bellhousings for that year were certainly Code 6 trans capable, that is the non 5-speed, non T5, Borg Warner T4 4-speed non overdrive.

The in line sixes weren't going to hurt any kind of SROD, Borg Warner T4 or C3 Bourdeux auto in a hurry. The limited slip diff was a new option in 1981 after two years of axle tramping turbos and V8's, it was hard to see how a 90 odd horse[pwer engine could injure a 24 spline 6.75"diff, but if its got a limited slip diff its 7.5"