Close

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Well after messing with the car today I find out I do have overdrive. I disco'd the linkage, put the trans shifter lever in OD, moved the trans linkage bar all the way back then 2 clicks forward like I read in the manual for adjustment. My shifter is on the money inside, and just for the hell of it I took it out on the highway to feel again how it was shifting. 1-2-3 no problem..... then somewhere between 50\60mph if there is barely any load on the motor it is going into overdrive. But any throttle even the slightest and it kicks back down into 3rd right away.

So everyone else was right, the overdrive in these older trans are hydraulically or whatever shifted. The only electrical component now is the converter lock-up. And of course today when I made the attempt to ghetto rig mine I find the prongs inside the connector are smashed down. So now that I have the correct plug the connector on the trans is screwed...... it's always something. At least I have the spare trans I can borrow the bulkhead connector from that goes through the case. But wondering how much of a pita it will be to swap out that plug?

Is the over drive issue common like I was saying..... it goes into overdrive but will only stay in od under really light throttle. You give it any gas it kicks into 3rd right away. I'm not used to these trans so it's weird to me. Only thing now not working is the converter lock-up function, and I do have a little to much fluid in the trans.

Can to much fluid cause any strange issues? I know what you guys are thinking... take out the extra fluid!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NFS03Cobra View Post
    I have come to the conclusion the chiltons diagrams blow.
    Yep. You'll want to find a Ford/Dealer manual, OEM Service Manual, EVTM, whatever. Chiltons are for changing brake pads and plug wires, it's time to move up to a real manual. They tend to show up on Ebay when dealerships close up, or at the public library. Of course you can probably buy one new, if you don't mind spending about $100 for a manual.

I picked up an 86 Tbird EVTM off Ebay, dirt cheap, since that's what my engine came out of. It's useless for the car wiring, but it applies to the wiring on the drivetrain. Ideally since my car was swapped I'd have the manual for the donor, and a manual for my car, but Mustang manuals are a little harder to come by than Tbird manuals.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Well some guys over at Turboford have the specific 2.3 turbo ford manuals- I'm waiting for the dig copy. Someone is going to scan and pdf I believe. I'll let you know when I get a copy!

Also read from others one of the issues with quick to downshift is the loss of vacuum to the modulator because of the turbo slightly spooling at speed 55\60mph. Could potentially be different vacuum modulators for turbo specific applications- but also the converter lock-up once working should help.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112