Close

Thread: Sunroof Help!

Default Sunroof Help!

Ok, as with all Pace Car replicas mine has the d#mn sunroof. Personally I hate them and have never liked them, but that is a whole different discussion. I have replaced both the weatherstrips, glass and body and the d#mn thing still rattles like crazy going down the road. Of course, the latch will not stay open at anything other than a complete stop. So if anyone has some suggestions as how to adjust or tighten the sunroof so that it will at least not drive me crazy ( or any more crazy than I already am ) I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise my PC may soon become a more correct replica with T-tops!

Thanks!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

All this wealth of knowledge and no one else has ever had this problem?

Ok, well I always knew I was special (My mom told me! ) I guess I will try a couple ideas I have and report back to help others that have similiar unresolved issues.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Trey, you can get new hardware for the sunroofs. That should take care of your problems.

Here's a link to FMRs parts. http://www.foxresto.com/products/sea...roof/byYear:79
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Thanks for the link and the information. Unfortunately, I am not sure that will fix the issue. The latch works fine other than staying open with any type of bump or rumble. The issue is the latch doesn't seem to tighten up enough. I would say it's almost like the seal is not thick enough. Which might be true since it is a replacement, but as I stated before both gaskets were replaced at the same time and still no improvement. The sunroof doesn't leak, so they aren't terrible. I am considering a couple of different options to attempt to get rid of the rattle and lack of "tightness", but I guess I will have to see.

Thanks!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

when i removed my headliner i found some spacers/washers between the latch base and the roof. not sure if this is stock or if someone has been in there before me to fix it. lol
    either way it seems to work and might be worth a try. it latches down pretty tight. I do still have the same staying open problem you have. haven't been able to really look at that issue yet.

That is one of the options I am considering at this time. Thanks for the information. I hope to attempt something this week if possible.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Trey, there is an adjustment process for the sunroof. I'll look through my manuals to see if I can find the process. Might take a day or two. I'll be getting ready for work in about 20 minutes or so, but will take a look through the book when I get home in the morning.

Edit:
    Okay, not much too it, evidently. Here's the two paragraphs straight from Volume 4 of the 1979 Car Shop Manual:

"After the glass panel is installed in the vehicle the latching mechanism can be adjusted to obtain optimum fit. Adjustment is accomplished by moving the latch sleeves up or down and locking them in place with the set screws.

The portion of the latch that is attached to the roof panel can be adjusted fore and aft by loosening the two 1/4-20 bolts after removing the plastic cover and repositioning the bracket."

That's everything under the ADJUSTMENT heading.
    Last edited by IDMooseMan; 03-28-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added sunroof adjustment
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

The hardware plastic bushing the go through the glass were worn on mine. After replacing the hardware mine doesn't rattle anymore. Of course I never run around with the glass open because it bounces around too much. If I do want to use it I just take the sunroof out completely and store it in the bag.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

Quote Originally Posted by IDMooseMan View Post
    Trey, there is an adjustment process for the sunroof. I'll look through my manuals to see if I can find the process. Might take a day or two. I'll be getting ready for work in about 20 minutes or so, but will take a look through the book when I get home in the morning.

Edit:
    Okay, not much too it, evidently. Here's the two paragraphs straight from Volume 4 of the 1979 Car Shop Manual:

"After the glass panel is installed in the vehicle the latching mechanism can be adjusted to obtain optimum fit. Adjustment is accomplished by moving the latch sleeves up or down and locking them in place with the set screws.

The portion of the latch that is attached to the roof panel can be adjusted fore and aft by loosening the two 1/4-20 bolts after removing the plastic cover and repositioning the bracket."

That's everything under the ADJUSTMENT heading.
    Thanks for the information. I guess, I will need to go out and look at the sunroof again. I am not sure what the latch sleeves are or where the set screws are. OH! Maybe they are the posts that screw into the glass itself. I never looked that close, may they are adjustable up and down the post (sleeves). I will try and look at that later today. I did adjust the latch that is attached to the roof by installing 2 1/4 washers between the latch and the roof and that really tightened things up. I also worked a bit on the latch itself and got everything adjusted a bit better. A new latch might work better, but I don't want to spend that money until I am sure that is the issue. Tried to take the car out for a test drive, but it decided it didn't want to start! I guess I need to figure out what this is all about!

Thanks again for the help. I will check it out and post up what I find.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

"Maybe they are the posts that screw into the glass itself."

I haven't done it myself, but those should be the ones to adjust. Since they screw into the glass, don't force them if they don't want to adjust. I'd hate to see you breaking glass.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

FEP Senior Member

Hello everyone. My sunroof stays closed and tight when I keep it closed. My issue is with a squeaking latch when it’s open. I’ve greased it and it doesn’t help at all. Has anyone had this problem and what was the solution ?

I bought the new latch from LMR. My sunroof also would slam shut when hitting bumps, but the new latch has really nice detents in it for the open position, so when you open it it almost "clicks" into position and doesn't plop back down until you're ready. So far its been great, just on the expensive side.
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage