Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to the Forum! 86 ASC McLaren Capri Eurocoupe

Hey all
    I'm new to the forum and new to the Fox Body. My last foray into FoMoCo territory was with a 1998 SVT Contour. Loved that car, but outgrew it after a few years.

I'm back, with what I think is a unique 1986 ASC McLaren Mercury Capri Eurocoupe (say that 10 times fast!). The car looks to be all original, and is in need of significant TLC, just shy of a complete restoration. I'm hoping I can stay within my budget. I think it's a bit rare being one of 47 Eurocoupes made, and one of only 11 with an automatic gearbox in this color.

I'm taking possession of the car this week and will post pictures very soon.

Here's a seller pic to whet your whistle.
    First thing on the agenda is to get the mechanicals right, then onto the paint issues. Luckily there's no rot, with the exception of small patches in the floor pans.

Thanks to the guys are ascmclaren.org for sending me this way!

Baco99, ( if that is your real name?) lol, welcome to the forum. You are going to like it here and feel free to start a build thread in the ascmclaren section. Cant wait to see this beauty restored. I just about finished restoring mine so feel free to send any questions my way or if you would like to take a look I'm only a half hour away.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

Great score! You're in the right place, that's for sure!
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

FEP Senior Member blackmagicman's Avatar

have seen this car before
    current stable:1981 blackmagic capri gt40 crate engine 5spd 12.7@109mph.150 shot nos gt40 heads 3.55 gears
    1981 blackmagic capri 2.3 liter 5spd project car goin turbo , daily driver 2004 chevy silverado 4x4

Welcome, seen you over on the asc site. This car has been discussed in length before. I used to own the gray auto euro with T-tops. I'm looking forward to see this one get done
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Neither here nor there

Welcome!
    You will find there is a lot of us foureyed guys in the area here, hope to see you around!

Do start a build thread when you get going, take lots of pics, we love pics!

let me know if you ever want to open up that transmission. ill give you pointers on strengthening that tranny
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Welcome to FEP. Looks like it's gonna be a fun project.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

I had an 86 ASC coupe miss that car!!
    Current Cars:
    83 GT Turbo All org w/ org paint 127k miles
    84 GT350 5.0 Period correct changes 5spd T Top 44k org miles
    83 LTD Wagon I6 65k miles
    2010 Mercury Milan AWD
    2019 Flex SEL

Past Cars: 79 Pace Car 5.0 Auto, 80 I6 Coupe, 79 I6 Coupe, 81 4cyl Coupe, 92GT, 83 Capri RS Turbo, 82GT TTop, 83 GT 5.0, 84 GT350 5.0 Auto, 86 ASC Capri coupe #1, 78 5.0 Granada Coupe, 03 MACH 1 2013 Flex Limited

Thanks all for the welcome.

The car seems to run OK. First on the agenda is to put in a new battery terminal. The orig one is cracked. Then...

1 change all the fluids, any suggestions?

2 clean the intake and MAF of carbon deposits. I have heard this is an area that can contribute to rough idle.

3 address the P/S.

4 change all the sway bar bushings

then it will be time for a test run....

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by baco99 View Post
    I'm hoping I can stay within my budget.
    As long as you have an endless supply of money, you will do fine
    It's going to take some coin to get her back to her former glory I think, but can surely be done!

my favorite color, charcoal. good luck with it!

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    As long as you have an endless supply of money, you will do fine
    It's going to take some coin to get her back to her former glory I think, but can surely be done!
    I'll tackle it in stages. If I can stabilize the mechanicals on my own, then I can focus on the paint. If I do the sanding, prep, and sealer coats, I can just have a pro do the color and clear to finish it off.

Car comes with a new front lip and both full floor pans, so that's about $500 in parts I don't need to buy.

Also, I found this site for restoration parts. Anyone dealt with them? Any good?

http://www.foxresto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by baco99 View Post
    I'll tackle it in stages. If I can stabilize the mechanicals on my own, then I can focus on the paint. If I do the sanding, prep, and sealer coats, I can just have a pro do the color and clear to finish it off.

Car comes with a new front lip and both full floor pans, so that's about $500 in parts I don't need to buy.

Also, I found this site for restoration parts. Anyone dealt with them? Any good?

http://www.foxresto.com/
    I would probably tackle from the underside first and make sure you are dealing with a solid chassis. I remember there was a guy up your way, had a Turbo RS he did over, and I recall the chassis eventually gave out even though the rest of the car looked amazing. I think he might have been a member on here. Good luck! Take your time, and it can get there.

Neither here nor there

I agree with eeprete, no issue with wanting it to run, but after that start under it and get any rust fixed first, that is going to be your biggest obstacle which will take the most time, experience and money. Once you have your foundation set, build up! That's cool you have the floor pans arleady.

There were supposedly some pictures others had on here of under that car but never wanted to post them for us to see, why I don't know, so if you end up any and want opinions/help, surely post them up.

You are going to want to check your front frame rails, strut towers, inside your cowl, torque boxes in the back, around the rear seat belts so pull up your rear seat bottom to check, etc. Word had it that there was a bit to do under the car.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post

You are going to want to check your front frame rails, strut towers, inside your cowl, torque boxes in the back, around the rear seat belts so pull up your rear seat bottom to check, etc. Word had it that there was a bit to do under the car.

Best of luck, keep us posted!
    Can you post pics of these problem areas? I'm new to the lingo.

The front shock towers are perfect. No rot. I knew this to be an issue. Also, the trunk floor is perfect, not even surface rust.

By "Cowl" do you mean the fire wall? Perfect on this car. I was shocked.

Also, what are those floor plugs used for?

Welcome to FEP!

Eagerly waiting to see more pics.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Welcome and nice ride you have there.
    Jay N.

Past rides :
    86 GT T-Top - Just recently while in restoration, the man responsible for doing the resto has come up missing as well as my car, GONE!!

86 Gt - to much work needed to keep it

88 lx coupe - very missed

Neither here nor there

Cowl, inside where the wiper arms are, under the plastic grill, take a flashlight and look deep into each corner, clean out any pine needles, leafs, dirt that may be in there, wash it out good with a hose.

You can familiarize yourself with the torq box area from Mikes site here:
    http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index....x-installation
    He strengthened his, no rust issues with his, but that is an area of concern.

Look under your rear seat here, around where the seat belts mount for rust/rot.

Also, look from underneath. I don't know how many times I've seen others say "the floors are great" but they were only looking from the inside with seats and carpet removed. The vast majority of things that make these cars rot out and rust are from under the car, road salt, environmental variables etc. Get the car on a lift to see what you are dealing with from the underside. Either way, best of luck with it!

Nice. Thanks for the pics. That's a huge help. So far, very impressed with the company here. Rivals the group we had at contour.org back in the day.

Regarding the floors, worst case is I have to cut out and weld all new pans. The parts are there, just more demo work. I need some more welding practice anyway. LOL!

check up in and in by the rear torque boxes also, I've seen all sorts of crud/rust/rot up in there and hard to see without the car up in the air. It's all able to be tackled, just time, patience, money, etc. lot of potential there.

has anyone done ExtrudeHone to the intake/exhaust on these cars? any benefit?

also, do they make an EPROM to assist in tuning, smoothing the idle? Like Superchips?

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Nice dude...I love build threads!

Oh and welcome to the club!
    effing bada$$!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast