Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Look at this picture of the front of a 1986 SVO motor. Off the thermostat housing is a rubber hose that is connected to a metal hose with a "TEE" that is used for water cooling the turbo. You are trying to use this metal tube in the wrong location.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 8T6 SVO; 02-21-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

I am trying to use a pipe that Forced4 says "oil cooler to heater core" which is the pipe I need and the one I bought. I did not view the part. I bought it online. Apparently, according to you they are idiots.

The pipe you are talking about doesn't go to the oil cooler or heater core. So we now know that these guys are clueless thanks to you.
    Last edited by homer302; 02-21-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

My appologies. The front metal hose with the "Tee" goes along the valve cover and makes a "u-turn at the rear of the engine and connects to the "u-shaped rubber hose".

Going thru this has refreshed my memory - again I am sorry and you are right, the position of the metal tube you are describing in the first post - is in the proper location.

It is evident that Forced 4 doesn't make the proper metal hose for a 1984 motor. You would think that people would talk about it, but maybe they just bend - leave off the clips - or "oh well" this wrong metal hose on a 1984 motor set up???
    Last edited by 8T6 SVO; 02-22-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

I think his picture of this setup is the tube you need. Maybe you could email them this pic for their info and maybe they can send you the correct one? I think they sent you one for a t-bird or something.

JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

You can see where the tubes connect in my pic...bottom of block being to "l" and "u" hoses front of eng...lower and upper

Quote Originally Posted by 8T6 SVO View Post
    Look at this picture of the front of a 1986 SVO motor. Off the thermostat housing is a rubber hose that is connected to a metal hose with a "TEE" that is used for water cooling the turbo. You are trying to use this metal tube in the wrong location.
    No, the T off the Forced4 pipe he has, connects to the lower intake.

Possible solutions:

1) Get the correct pipe and hose for an 84.
    2) Get the correct hose to go with the later pipe you have now.

I wouldn't say Forced4 are morons at all. It doesn't matter what year pipes their pipes are bent to match, since all the key components are in the same locations from 84-86 (or -88 ). The only things that changed are water cooled turbo, and the heater core on the car. As long as you have the rubber hoses that match your pipes and heater core, they'll fit. So for them it makes perfect sense to sell one set of pipes that fit all. Have you tried contacting Forced4 to ask which hose you should use?

I could tell you what hoses I use, but it wouldn't help you much because my car doesn't have A/C.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

I just now got back to this and haven't even looked for a hose until today. Here is what I ended up with. It is molded in that shape believe it or not. Fits great and looks ok. I guess it doesn't look OEM but I think I can live with it.

Last edited by homer302; 03-15-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FYI for anyone finding this thread and having similar problems, I found something interesting yesterday. My car is a mutt, so I don't know which tube is from which year, but they are definitely different (bought parts from lots of people to get it back together).

The side that goes to the oil cooler with the 't' in it are at the exact same location, but you can see the ends are different:

In both pictures the 'T' ends are held together.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Thanks for posting the part numbers for those hoses, very helpful.

There seems to be a vital piece of info here which was missed. Cars with oil cooling only, 84-5 SVO's, 83-4 GT's, 83-5 TC's (???) used different hard lines and hoses to cars with oil and water cooled turbos, 85.5-6 SVO, 87-8 TC.
    The XR4ti used and even funkier setup where a rubber hose went from the oil cooler over the valve cover. You may find this setup on an SVO or GT that had it's oil cooled turbo replaced with a water & oil turbo. This was a Ford TSB warranty repair but I can't rember the number right now. Suffice it to say its a weird setup.

As I think we have ascertained, when Forced 4 were still making these line kits they were only designed to be a direct replacement for oil & water cooled turbo setup's not the earlier system used in 83 & 84.
    Ausie, Aussie, Aussie
    Oi, Oi, Oi

84 1C SVO "Blackie the Wonderbeater" (DECEASED!!!!)
    84 9L SVO T-TOP (under restoration)
    84 1C SVO T-TOP (Deceased)
    86 2R SVO (roller, future pro-tourer)

I think the biggest problem is that ford had a couple different ways to route the lines and the pipes were bent differently for each way.
    Now OP had a earlier routing with earlier tubes, he bought later routing tubes and tried to routeit the same way his old tubes did.
    He is correct that he routed them the same way as his original ones, what is missing is the new tubes he bought are designed to be routed differently, under the egr tube, not beside or above it, unlike the original tube.

I had both types of tubes and when the motor was on the motor stand it was easy to see, when theres a firewall in the way its not so easy.
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

The key is matching the rubber hoses to the year of the coolant pipes, and routing the pipes in the right position. Mixing and matching, trying to route them wrong, or using the wrong hoses will all cause grief.

When I first did my swap, the previous owner of the parts car had unbolted all the clamps on the coolant lines, and most of the hoses were wrong. When I reassembled the engine on the stand I bolted all the clamps down, and replaced all the hoses and everything fit a lot better.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2.3Mustang View Post
    The key is matching the rubber hoses to the year of the coolant pipes, and routing the pipes in the right position.
    X2 - my car is a mix and match. Came to me with mostly a water cooled SVO type set up, but when I changed to a non water cooled turbo set up, I used 87/88 TC parts. Through all of this the hoses from the pipes to the heater core have been the same ones (that I haven't seen pictured here). These look like they would work with a number of the scenarios discussed because of the double bends.

Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Default Metal Coolant Lines Needed

Hello I am new to this forum. I have had my '85 SVO for about 20 years, it hasn't been driven in about 11 years. I have been purchasing parts for some time and now I have been working to get it going again. It has been partially disassembled for quite a while when I was adding water to the system I noticed one of the metal coolant lines was leaking. I had already replaced all of the rubber hoses. Are the coolant lines discussed in this post still available? I cannot find the Forced 4 website. If not, does anyone know of another supplier. I am at a standstill with this project until I find replacement lines or have them made locally, if that is possible.

Thanks for the help.

SVO38
    Last edited by svo38; 12-04-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by svo38 View Post
    Hello I am new to this forum. I have had my '85 SVO for about 20 years, it hasn't been driven in about 11 years. I have been purchasing parts for some time and now I have been working to get it going again. It has partially disassembled for quite a while when I was adding water to the system I noticed one of the metal coolant lines was leaking. I had already replaced all of the rubber hoses. Are the coolant lines discussed in this post still available? I cannot find the Forced 4 website. If not, does anyone know of another supplier. I am at a standstill until I find replacement lines or have them made locally, if that is possible.

Thanks for the help.
    Forced 4 is out of business and as far as I know no one is making them yet. Creating a wanted ad here or on TurboFord is your best bet.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Default Metal Coolant Lines Needed

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Forced 4 is out of business and as far as I know no one is making them yet. Creating a wanted ad here or on TurboFord is your best bet.
    I have found a place here in Tampa that bends tubing up to 3" in diameter so I am going to take my set there to see if they can duplicate them. I'm sure they can, but I'm hoping the price is good. It really doesn't matter how much because I need to get them. I have the lines that go under the turbo and around the back of the engine that are conneted together by spring clamps. I will let you know how it turns out. Here is the link to their website: http://scrprecision.com/

Thanks for the help.

SVO38

Default Metal Coolant Lines

Name:  Metal Coolant Lines.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  100.3 KB

I was able to have my metal coolant lines fabriacated in stainless steel here in Tampa at Amazon Hose and Rubber for just over $400, I didn't check for the price in steel. It was a little pricey but I can't move forward without them. I have not had the chance to install them yet but the bends are very close to the originals except for the small pipe that goes around the rear of the engine. That pipe looks to be the least critical of the three as far the bends go. I will let you know how the install goes once I get them in.

They look pretty good... glad you were able to find a source. Looking forward to hearing back on how they fit.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    They look pretty good... glad you were able to find a source. Looking forward to hearing back on how they fit.
    X2, looks real nice.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I finally installed the stainless coolant supply lines I had made. They went in pretty much like the originals and look good. I am almost ready to fire it up. I had a fuel delivery problem that I finally traced to three faulty injectors. Hopefully it will be running today.

Name:  20151228_171034_resized.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  128.5 KBName:  20151228_171108_resized.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  58.6 KBName:  20151228_170947_resized.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  107.7 KB

Those new pipes look great. Even though it was expensive it was totally worth the investment...your engine looks great, may as well have some nice looking pipes to match. I need to find me an SVO...
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Any idea if they are able to do more or do they need a set to work from each time?
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Thread revival.

Does anyone know if the coolant pipes are available anywhere yet? I had to replace my oil only original T3 with a later oil/water one from an XR4Ti. I got the pipes that plumbed onto it, but they've def seen better days (rusty and a twisted pipe to the turbo). Also, if anyone has a good set they'd part with, let me know.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

FEP Power Member

I have a bunch of pipes from various turbo motors. Might want to stop by one day and see if I have something you can use. I had several sets built from a place in Michigan that said they could make direct replacements from mine. They were so bad I had to throw them away. I also tried to have the people that made Forced 4's lines but I would have had to have 50 sets built and I was not interested in forking out that much money.
    Kendal

Thanks Kendal. I’ll def get with you soon.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12