Close

Default 86 3.8 oil pressure "gauge"-true oil pressure question

Ok, so I am finally getting around to a couple of questions about my '86 3.8 mustang. I know that from 1980 to about 1990ish Ford installed oil pressure gauges that were more accurately "need to add oil, somewhere in the normal range, she's gonna blow" gauges, not true indicators of your actual oil pressure. I also know that when my engine is cold I should have a higher pressure reading because the oil viscosity is still thick and the pressure should get lower as my engine heats up. My oil pressure gauge usually reads at the very low normal range when it is cold and rises as it gets warmer. Sometimes it stays low, sometimes it reads pretty high, it never reads in what I would consider a 'normal' fashion but when I check my oil level it is always fine. My question is- What the heck is going on? Should I check out my oil pump and the sending unit or should I ignore the dash gauge and install aftermarket gauges? Has anyone else had this problem?

Before you go throwing an aftermarket gauge in it, i would check the sending unit. I don't have any experience with v6's, and the gauge in my 5.0 is... adequate-ish, if there's no oil it reads on the no pressure side, but I also have a low oil idiot light...

I would also check the connection first. On my 81 when i had the 2.3L in it the connection was very loose. also soaked in oil. readings all over the place. cleaned it up, reconnected and all was fine. I would however get an aftermarket gauge. I don't trust the OEM gauges.
    1981 Mustang Coupe: Rebuilt 91/306, Ported E7's, TF Spring kit, E-303 Cam, RPM Intake, Eddy 1406 Carb, FMS Dual Roller Timing set, March UD pulleys, Summit LT Headers, Summit 2-1/2" Chambered Mufflers w/ 2-1/2" FlowTech H-Pipe/ Flowtubes & 2-1/2" LMR SS Tailpipes. C4 trans with 8.8/ 2.73 Rear.