Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Console delete question.

My 86 is a factory console delete car. I am going to convert it to a T5 this summer. I have the boot and the lower part that goes around the shifter. I am missing the bezel that goes around the shifter. I have looked at pics on this site and elsewhere and it looks like the same plate used with the console and the one without the console are almost the same. Is the one without the console just a regular one trimmed down? If this is the case I can buy a new plate and trim it down.

Chris Wood

Don't know the answer as I have never laid my hands on a console delete shifter bezel, that being said, there is no mention of there being a diference between the bezels of console and console delete cars.

FEP Senior Member

Well, the 2 are different shapes. A new one is cheap enough that I will probably just buy one and trim it down. I wish I had saved the plate when I pulled the parts from the car.

FEP Senior Member

I got my hands on a console plate today. It will not work. I need to find a manual plate to use for a pattern to make a new plate. The plate for a console is narrower than the delete plate.

FEP Senior Member

I ended up getting the top plate off of ebay. I already have it installed around my automatic shifter.

FEP Senior Member

I am bringing this thread back. Apparently the trim pieces that go around a T5 and a 4 speed are different. Both of mine are from 4 speeds. Does anyone have pics of the hold down brackets in the car? I think I am missing one and the other is wrong.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

FEP Senior Member

I have been researching this on here and online. It seems the brackets are different for 4 speed and 5 speed cars. I have found pics for the 4 speed cars, but I can not find any for the 5 speed cars. I have not found any pics of te brackets installed. If anyone has pics of the lower bracket installed with the top plate removed I would really appreciate if you could post them.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

The only thing I know of this situation is the t5 Trans tunnel has a hump welded onto it where the other cars simply have a hole in the floor.
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

This is the hump I was talking about, it sticks up quite a way.

1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I have been researching this on here and online. It seems the brackets are different for 4 speed and 5 speed cars. I have found pics for the 4 speed cars, but I can not find any for the 5 speed cars. I have not found any pics of te brackets installed. If anyone has pics of the lower bracket installed with the top plate removed I would really appreciate if you could post them.
    Is this the shot you're looking for? So it happens I've been working on different ways around my shifter. I got tons of pictures, let me know what you need.

Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

FEP Senior Member

The lower boot I understand. The brackets that hold the console delete are where I am fuzzy.

FEP Senior Member

Here are the pieces of the console delete.

The boot with the extra accordion fold:

Front bracket:

Rear bracket:

This is from an 86 4 cylinder 4 speed car and I removed it back in 99. The boot has a smaller foot print than a T5 shifter. How is the T5 version different? I have seen a photo of the rear bracket with two holes. Where does the tab on mine go? Is the front bracket different as well?

The tab goes under the head of the 2nd bolt. On my car, I just screwed the front bracket to the steel lower boot ring with some self tapping screws. It's a hack job but it works fine. I'm sure there are pics on the link in my signature.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

FEP Senior Member

I like that. I am going to order a lower boot in a week or so and I think I will screw mine down the same way. I am going to try and screw my upper boot down to the lower boot as well.