Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

TTT on this one, with a huge question..

I have a 86 ttop, that needs a pass. side dr.. power windows, manual locks..

My glass is good, along with everything else, other than the inner bottom is way too far gone to fix..

I found a 86 non ttop door local, but has a bit of rust on the seam.. no huge problem, but my buddy at work has a 90 hatchback door, power that is spotless.

I know ill have to switch mirrors, outside trim, and cut off the door frame, and do a little wiring splices for the window, but other than that, will it work?

I'd love to find a rust free ttop 86 door, but thats near impossible anymore, and I'm kinda waiting on this problem to be resolved before I get too much further.

Suggestions?
    1968 mustang, 1986 mustang gt... One done, one still slow.

You can use the later model doors and just swap everything out of your 86 door so there would be no need to splice wires, etc.

You will have to weld up the holes on the outside top edge of the door where the 87-93 cars have the trim piece that runs from the mirror to the back of the door to match up with the quarter windows. You will have to move some of the mounting hardware for the armrest, etc. around and you might have to add or move a door panel clip to get the door panels to install correctly.

Obviously you will have to cut off the window frame to make the door a T-top door, but otherwise you can make it all work. The 86 door might be an easier option overall, but if the rust is an issue, I would just use the 90 door myself.

Best of Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you sir! Once again, Trey to the rescue!
    1968 mustang, 1986 mustang gt... One done, one still slow.

Quote Originally Posted by ricko302 View Post
    There are many differences in between the various years. One big thing that has not been mentioned is the door window surround width. The earlier doors are narrower near the 1/4 window.
    I am restoring an 81 Mustang coupe and needed a replacement driver side door; the resto shop purchased an 87 door and the width of the vertical door window surround on the back edge (by the quarter windows) is much wider on the 87 vs the 81; so we are back to looking for another door with the correct width on the window surround.

Does anyone know what year was the change from the narrow surround to the wider surround? Thanks.

I believe the change occurred around the 1982 model, but I am not 100% on that right now. I would have to go back and check some of my notes and information. I also don't know if there was a specific date change or just a running change by Ford.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I believe the change occurred around the 1982 model, but I am not 100% on that right now. I would have to go back and check some of my notes and information. I also don't know if there was a specific date change or just a running change by Ford.
    Thank you; if you have an opportunity to review your notes I would be appreciative. We are having a hard time finding a nice door, and obviously the broader the range of years we have to choose from the better our chances are. I don't believe we can use a 79 or 80 door due to the difference in the door lock placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeologist View Post
    Thank you; if you have an opportunity to review your notes I would be appreciative. We are having a hard time finding a nice door, and obviously the broader the range of years we have to choose from the better our chances are. I don't believe we can use a 79 or 80 door due to the difference in the door lock placement.
    The 79/80 can be made to work, you just have to modify for the placement of the upper door handle and the door lock rod going through the top of the door shell. The Driver door on my Pace Car is a Ford replacement door that actually has both locations stamped out on the inner shell. I know I have a pair of 79 doors down in TX, but not sure if I have any other early model doors other than that.

I may be swapping doors out on my PC when I replace the engine and do a repaint so I can add PW/PL. If you don't have any better luck finding a good replacement that might work for you depending on how far apart we are. I will see if I can verify what years you need.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Based upon the posts in this thread. I believe the answer is the 79-81 door trims are the same and the 1982 and later is the wider trim. I don't think I ever found the actual trim pieces in the catalog PDFs that I have to verify part numbers. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but hopefully that does help in some way. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Based upon the posts in this thread. I believe the answer is the 79-81 door trims are the same and the 1982 and later is the wider trim. I don't think I ever found the actual trim pieces in the catalog PDFs that I have to verify part numbers. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but hopefully that does help in some way. Good Luck!
    Thanks very much for the help with this. I am going to start another thread, asking members with 83 - 86 coupes to measure the window frame and post what they have; hopefully we will get a definitive answer that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12