Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 87-93 doors on a foureye?

Has anybody tried putting 87-93 doors on a foureye? I'd like to use the later model doors because there are much more parts available for them, mirrors, trim, panels, etc. What about the quarterglass? Any info/experience I would appreciate the help.

They can be used but, the outside (pop-riveted on) trim is different than the four-eyed ones.
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

I know the quarter glass can be interchanged between the two. I have two '92 doors that I wanted to use the power window setup on my '86 gt. Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the guts between them?

Doors will fit but the trim will not be the same and the mirrors are funky looking (my opinion) on 87-93’s Not sure if stock four eyed mirrors can be bolted on. Interior door panels are not the same either. Also if you have electric windows you will have to change out the connectors for them to work.
    65 Mustang
    77 Mustang
    84 GT Turbo
    85 Mustang Convertible
    86 Mustang LX

Manual windows and locks, I plan on using the newer door panels, trim, mirrors. I'd like to use the quarter glass but my concern is how the later model drip rail molding around the top of the door will fit on my 80.

The holes for the trim can be welded shut. From what I recall they are square holes. I used my older style 86 mirrors on the 1989 doors I had installed. Interior panel bolted right back on. I bought aftermarket dew wipes for an 86 and those fit fine.
    Crystal Lake Illinois
    1986 GT 306 S-trim, M2300k, Bullits 450rwhp

New User

On my 1983 mustang it has 1987 doors on it with power windows.
    I didn't do the conversion but they work really well and fit nicely.

The mirrors will work. I had to use an 87-93 door on my 83 years ago. I never changed the trim peice. Looked like crap but, that is what I could find at the time (in High School and little money).
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

You do not have to change the power connectors for PL/PW. I put aero doors on an '86 GT that I owned once. They plugged right into the existing PL/PW harness connector.

There are a lot of little differences in trim between '79-'86 style and '87-'93 style. If you don't change EVERYthing over to one style or the other, it ends up looking half-done and looks like crap.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Yes, the '87-93 doors will work on earlier fox mustangs. '79-86 mirrors will work in fittings, as well as for window moldings and interior panels. If your car have power controls for locks and windows - most later doors will have the hole for the wiring harness to go in. I noticed the '87-later doors tend to have more power options than the earlier ones.

If your car is manual control, just weld plug the hole (with round metal disc) and apply a thin coat of fiberglass filler and re-paint to your car's color. That's what I did for my car before.

One thing you need to keep in mind is the door speaker on '87-93 doors. That speaker require a hole on the inner panel of this door ... which the non-speaker, non-power door do not have. That in turn, means a different window guide rod bolt on the panel (for the glass to go down and up). There are, in fact, TWO different guide rods - one for when there is a speaker and one when there is no speaker. They are different in measure.
    1986 Mustang LX hatchback V6 auto

I am using 92 doors on my 85. My car has manual windows/locks, but the 92 doors I bought have pw,pm,pl. I havent decided yet if im going to try to mess around and get the power wiring to work, or if ill just change over the guts from my doors, and keep the non power windows/locks
    1985 Mustang GT Cobra

Im sure both 4i and aero have the same mirrors.

Can you take off that trim by the window on the 87-93 doors?

Quote Originally Posted by boss302man View Post
    Can you take off that trim by the window on the 87-93 doors?
    If you are referring to the thin trim that runs around the window (up-across top to by the mirror) ... yes you can take them off. Start with side where the door meets to the post when closed. This side trim has a small L-shaped clip inside where two pieces meets at the top corner. start by doing the bottom, gently pry it off a little then pry the top trim down a bit and you'll be able to take the side trim out. then the second trim out next.

Of course, the mirror need be taken off first, because there is a small screw fasten on there behind the mirror.
    1986 Mustang LX hatchback V6 auto

Unless you are really good at welding I would not suggest using 87-93 donors on a four eye. Patching the holes with bondo along the mirror and trim areas is not a good idea as water drains through the doors.

I'm also not sure the power connectors are same if the doors have the power mirror option. Someone else will have to chime in on that one.
    No longer visiting. Cheers.

will look good once you finish bro

There are many differences in between the various years. One big thing that has not been mentioned is the door window surround width. The earlier doors are narrower near the 1/4 window.

Other things I can think of offhand are:
    Door hinges differ depending on what year you are working with (79-82 vs 83-93).
    Metal(79-86) vs plastic(87-93) door handles.
    Various cutouts behind the door panel are different.
    The way the inside door handle latch rods are supported changed during 1986.

There are a lot of minor differences.

i have used later model doors on my 84's with no trouble ...welding the trim holes shut is no biggie ... everything else swaps over... you can even drill out the rivets on the crank handle and put the power window motor in of vice versa....

What "trim holes" are you guys talking about welding shut? Is it the holes for the rivets on the belt moldings? Because I plan on using the 87-up style belt moldings. I dont think there are holes for the side moldings are there?

Yes, the square holes on the top edge of the door

Using the '87-'93 style upper belt moldings is an example of what I alluded to above. If you're going to do that, switch over EVERYthing. Otherwise it looks half-done and looks like crap.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I started this thread way back and I am still on the fence about what to do. The original doors on my car now suck, one doesn't fit well and straight up needs to be replaced. The interior panels are in decent shape on both, except the drivers door has a vertical lock, which someone drilled a hole into the top of the interior panel to make fit. If i keep the original I will definitely go back to the horizontal locks on both (one of the little quirks that I love about my 1980 notch). I know a lot of the purists aren't crazy about a set of aero doors on my four eye, but I can buy everything brand new and would like that nice solid "thud" when I shut the door. My current doors just seem cobbled together and they drive me nuts. I want to keep the foureye 1/4 windows and louvers with the new doors and all the new door hardware, mirrors, belt moldings, etc. In my mind it wouldn't look bad, but I was just curious if anyone had pics of a set of aero doors with foureye 1/4 windows. If anyone does I would be really grateful. Thanks guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Different mirrors.
    Can you show me, I thought they were the same?

I put a door from a 93 on my old 85 SVO. Other than welding closed the trim holes across the top, there were no other mods needed to make it work.

Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    Im sure both 4i and aero have the same mirrors.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Different mirrors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    Can you show me, I thought they were the same?
    I'll see what I can do.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast