Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why the south is cancelled today

So I tried to get out and drive a little in the ice today. This happened.

True respect to you guys that live in this all winter. It's impossible.

ice can be tough but yeah you need more practice lol
    Looking for a Fox wagon

you'd of been better off with ice skates..then again that would be another funny video..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

FEP Power Member

Yep that kind of driving is always an adventure for those of us that don't do it often. Last time we got even that much snow here was winter of 2007. I took my 86 out to run some errands that afternoon, thinking everything had pretty much melted. Hit a small patch of ice leaving the bank's parking lot, spun around, hit the curb and bent a rear axle. Then had an adventure fixing it as the PO never told me what the rear end was. Turns out he swapped a TBird rear end in as it was the quickest and cheapest way to put rear disc brakes on the car. I think I had to try 3 axles before I guessed right.

Good to see that our southern members get to experience some of the "great" weather that we deal with for 3-4 months out of the year.

Adam
    84 lx convertible - 306 w/auto...moderate motor build completed June 2013
    93 lx - Sold
    In search of a CC or BM project that isn't rusted out...need a Capri!!!

Daily Drivers
    04 Mazda 6 Sport
    12 F-250 XL w/CC and 6.2L

how the heck yall up north , drive thru the ice like that ?
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

See though? Donuts are fun! My Focus tries to spoil it with the stability control though. I used to live in a house with a really steep driveway. I used to have to make a running start at it from halfway down the block all winter long. And that was with a front wheel drive car! If a car came from the other direction, as one often did, I'd have to go around the block and go for it again.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Killagt View Post
    Years of practice!!
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Mag Chloride & a good road crew...
    Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    Mag Chloride & a good road crew...
    MC is a drug right lol

MC is a drug right lol
    From Wikipedia: Magnesium chloride is most commonly used for dust control and road stabilization. Its second-most common use is ice control...
    Current rides:
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...

I clicked on the video, but it says "private," and won't play. Definitely LMAO'ing at the thread title though.

My Mom lives in South Florida, and said it was warm there yesterday - of course the argument, that once you've gone that far South, you're no longer in the South, does carry some weight.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by onetrackrider View Post
    From Wikipedia: Magnesium chloride is most commonly used for dust control and road stabilization. Its second-most common use is ice control...
    when I google it come up this

" What is magnesium chloride? "

"Magnesium is a mineral that occurs naturally in the body and is found in certain foods. Magnesium is important for many systems in the body especially the muscles, nerves, heart, and bones.

Magnesium chloride is used to treat or prevent magnesium deficiency (lack of natural magnesium in the body).

Magnesium chloride may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide. "

Magnesium chloride may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide. "
    It could theoretically occur while doing a burnout:

'88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

This is what shut our little town down. No school for 2 days and a half day tomorrow. I saw more snow when I lived in So Cal than we do here, but it scares people to death! The Zeph was left outside so the wife and I could put our DD's under a roof...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4x4 you slide into a ditch then just drive out
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post

From what I understand, this is why they are called MAG WHEELS ---- because they were first made of Magnesium.

yep, and it will burn and it explodes if you try to put it out with water, it's also used in fire starter kits for camping... etc.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Default thoughts on slow speed is key to arriving intact.

Slowly. Leave way early.
    Keep plenty of washer fluid in the tank.
    Got to have all windows and mirrors clear before setting sail.
    Avoid freeways until they are clear enough to see the lanes.
    Be ready to change lanes quick without spinning or fishtailing too much.
    Give trucks a wide berth.

Most accidents in winter are caused by over driving the road conditions.
    Heck, most are driving 60 so it must be ok for me too. Hah.
    So what if you drive slower?
    You can sense this if you feel confident you have control if you need to panic stop.
    If you are tense enough that you cant 'grab your coffee safely', your going too fast.
    Especially if you can break the rear loose in 3rd with a 4 cly.

People think they can still cut 2-3 lanes on freeways to make that last second exit.
    -Because they got anti lock, traction control, 4wd/awd, Jeeps, etc bs. Ice is ice.
    People ski on snow.

Its something like driving on oil. Like having little or no brakes. Like having 600 hp.
    Or racing at Talladega at 200 mph. With rookies, in betweens, and pros.
    Avoid the 'big one'. Cars crashing on snow bump around a lot like that.

Even when the road is mainly dry, it and bridges usually have patches of 'black ice'.
    You cant see it. The car skids, then hits dry surface, causes havoc. Upsets the car balance.

Even the sound of the tires can give clues how slick the surface is.
    When it gets unusually quiet, look out. Ease off the gas. Letting all the way off may cause a spin.

Each snow/ice event is different. The first mile or so tells a lot.
    Powder, slushy, icy. Sunny wet days are tough, especially salt road spray.

Easy on the turns is key. Driveways, joining traffic leaving the neighborhood, intersections.
    Test to see how easy it is to break the rear (rwd) loose or fishtail.
    Test the brakes before you get to any spot where you really need to stop.
    Stay away from the edges of the road. Pick middle lanes. If you spin or fishtail you have room.

Practice donuts in a snowy parking lot- for real!

Keep large gaps in traffic. Let them pass. You may see them in the ditch further down the road!

The problem around here isn't driver skill or experience. I just moved here from Maine after living in the Northeast for 43 years, and I can tell you that the reason things here are such a mess is that there's really no mechanism in place to remove the snow or control the ice on the roads here. If you leave two or three inches of snow on route 95 in Maine or anywhere else, it's going to turn into a sheet of ice, and there's no driving on that no matter what your experience. You just have to wait for it to melt, which fortunately here happens pretty quickly once the sun comes out. I saw on the news they were talking about the 40 trucks the Georgia DOT has to do this. Most mid sized towns in New England probably have almost as many. I'm not complaining, it snows here once every three years, it doesn't make sense to buy and maintain all that equipment for just that infrequent use. We just have to live with the fact that when we get a little snow here you have to stay off the roads completely. Normally folks will, but the weather forecasts were that the snow would be south of Atlanta and the city might get a dusting or so. It wasn't snowing in the morning, so folks went on with their normal day. I drove into the city, and it was no problem. Fortunately for me I left just as it started snowing, or I'd have been caught up in it all too. It was a real mess, let me tell you. It wasn't helped by the fact that all the businesses let out at the same time as the schools, and everyone hit the roads a the same exact time. Kids stranded in traffic on school buses, buses not able to get to the schools to pick them up, no way to get emergency equipment anywhere as cars were all over the roads clogging it up (naturally lots of folks going down the breakdown lane to try to get ahead and thus blocking the entire highway system). What a mess. I moved here to avoid this weather, jeesh!

I'm kind of embarrassed by the chaos that two inches of snow and ice can cause... Letting out all businesses and institutions at the same time was obviously a very bad judgement call, and was probably the root cause of all of the gridlock. Seeing photos of people sleeping in hardware stores though? Yeesh... You'd think there was a zombie apocalypse or something judging by some of the photos.

Drive slow, brake way earlier than you think necessary. When you start to slip, let off the gas. Keep your tires in "the grooves". Slush will pull you in. When it does, ease off the gas and slowly make your way back into the grooves. If you can't get your car to move, don't just floor it and hope for the best. The key is being easy on the gas, and avoiding tire spin.
    Brian

1982 Capri 5.0L
    1965 Fastback project car - more rusty than not

Sideways...........

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Super Member tan84mustanggt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Sideways...........
    LOL! Truth. At least for me. Smiling the whole time too. I LOVE driving in the snow. I seek out snow covered back roads though because I hate driving with other drivers in the snow. You never know who knows what the Hell they are doing and who doesn't. Just because your license plate says WI, doesn't mean you know what you're doing.
    84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback
    84 Tan 5.0 GT convertible
    84 GT350 2.3T convertible

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post
    Sideways...........
    For real.
    Take food along. No burritos. Do go to the bathroom beforehand. May be a long drive home.

Nothing like hearing snow chunks banging the floor pan.
    An inch or two reduces ground clearance. Can get hung up. I drive the Ranger in winter.

Plowing and road treatment happen well into a snowfall.
    AAA cannot cover all no starts/wrecks/stucks at once. Takes hours.
    This month, the roads have been dry only a few days.
    Snow every weekend, temp plunges, rendering salt ineffective.

So true. Living in the snow belt does not automatically make drivers pros.
    All kinds of humans out there at once. Some in a hurry cause they are late.
    One wreck can cause the freeway to close.
    Refrozen slush creates ruts, which act like deep tracks hard to turn out of.

New rim and tire eating potholes appear every day.

Good point about letting everyone out early.
    past owned daily driven many memorable times with all
    1967 Mustang 'verti Sports Sprint 289 Holley 4vC4 2.79 lime gold blk vinyl (6/70-4/73) 100k
    1970 VW 113 Beetle modded 1650 5200 2v 4sp Hurst 4.13 grn blk leathette (1973-1977) 200k
    1975 VW 1303 S Beetle LaGrande 1600 EFI 4sp Hurst 3.88 lime grn tan cloth (1977-1980) 90k
    1985 LTD LX 5.0 CFI HO AOD 3.27 gray gray (1987-1990) 75k
    1986 Ranger XL 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5 sp 3.45 gray burgundy cloth (1990-1994) 180k
    current owned now weekly driven totally enjoyed
    1979 Mustang Cobra 61R 2.3T Holley 2305 2v '92 T5 Hurst 3.45 black orange decals (7/80- )
    1993 Ranger XLT R103 2wd 7' bed 114 wb 2.3 EFI 5sp Hurst 3.45 calypso green gray (3/94- )

The three most important keys to driving in snow, are good tires, good tires, and good tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast