Close

Default What aftermarket Intake works well with 1986 stock hood

Searched archives....can't find anything on this.
    My 86 has 90k original miles and other than mild cam and ac and smog pump deletes (done before I got the car years back) Its mostly stock under the hood. My money and mods were first spent on suspension, braking, and rear end.

I've been considering adding a polished cobra intake (when anyone else gets them back in stock) and some ford racing valve covers to dress up my engine bay and improve performance a bit more. I keep reading with the 1" spacer you have to use that you will need a different hood (at least a 2" cowl).

When I was looking through the new fox mustang magazine I noticed the feature article on the red vert that he had a flatter looking BBK intake and it looks like he still has his factory hood.

So...my question finally.......has anyone added the cobra intake and spacer with new valve covers and been able to keep the hood? If not, any other aftermarket intakes like the bbk that did work with factory hood?

Any info or suggestions please jump in and help me. I dont really want to lose my hood at the moment. One of the things I love about my car is its factory hood and stock appearance. Id like to stay with the ford racing intake, but curious to know other opinions on intakes working with the factory hood. I may change my mind. Thanks guys.

FEP Senior Member

No first hand experience with the setup you are looking to run,but I think motor mounts for convertibles drop the motor(how much?)down a little,maybe just enough.You may also shim the K-member to gain more clearance up top.
    Someone who has installed these style mounts will have more info for you.But this maybe one option.
    I am not a fan of after market cowl hoods,so I personaly would do anything needed to retain my factory hood.
    OMR
    Last edited by OldManRiver; 01-17-2012 at 06:13 PM.

I don't know how much this will help considering I have an explorer intake but when i had the stock hood I test fitted a 3/8 and 1" spacer for when i get taller valve covers. and the 1" wouldn't fit but the 3/8 inch would. That's with the stock engine mounts too. I've also heard convertible mounts lower the engine some but I don't know how much either. Hope this info helps some

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Keep em coming. I am like you oldmanriver.....I do NOT want to lose my stock hood.

I have a Trickflow Street Heat on my 86 with no clearance issues.

Gt pony....if you have a chance some time, could you shoot me a photo of it? Did you have to use a spacer?

Have an 86 vert with 1 inch spacer, energy motor mounts, a TF street intake and no clearance issues.

Here is a pic of my 86 Vert with stock intake. Perhaps eyeballing it you can get an idea of how much lower the Vert mounts allow the engine to sit.

Thanks man. The photo does help. I appreciate it.