Close

Default Replacing Upper Steering Column Bearing to Cure Wobbly Steering Wheel

Can someone help me replace the upper steering column bearing?

82 Mercury Capri - 11.99 @ 112, AFR headed Mountaineer motor
    86 Mustang LX Coupe - the original Coyote swap 4-eye. Gone but not forgotten!

FEP Senior Member

I'd like to know how this is done as well.

All my columns have wobbly, worn bearings.

TTT
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Really? ALL your columns?

I have never heard of the bearing going bad. Steering column problems are usually from loose mounting bolts...but that problem just makes the whole thing feel sloppy/loose/shake. Not "wobbles".

Like anything...it'll have to be pressed out and pressed in.

The column will have to be taken completely out.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how to get the bearing out.

-Mike

I would definitely check all the bolts underneath the turn signal stalks. Mine was wobbly for years, and i didn't even know those bolts were under there. I tightened them up and now it's like a new car.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

FEP Power Member

Mine was loose but it turned out to be just the tilt wheel mechanism. Just tightened up the tilt screw and all was good.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Mine was loose but it turned out to be just the tilt wheel mechanism. Just tightened up the tilt screw and all was good.
    Same here too

Mine is a bit loose, but I know it's the tilt mechanism. Someone removed the tilt bar, but left it all loose under there. I'm just lazy.

OP, can you actually "wobble" your shaft? (yeah, quit snickering)
    Are you positive that you have a bad bearing?
    85 GT convertible

The one in your pic look intact. My 79 capri went and it came out in pieces. I just slid the remnants of the old one off and tapped the new one on. I did not have to remove the column.

How does one go about tightening the tilt mechanism? I assume the steering wheel needs to come off to get access to the huge nut back there?

FEP Senior Member

I've got a few, and all have loose bearings. Its not the tilt, or the bolts under the mechanism. The worst one is a non-tilt column.

There are a few 7/16 or 3/8 bolts underneath the column. If you tighten them up it will sometimes cure the play you're asking about.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I'm interested as well. My steering wheel squeals when turning (at slow speeds). I've been wondering what I should consider replacing with 227K miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    I've got a few, and all have loose bearings. Its not the tilt, or the bolts under the mechanism. The worst one is a non-tilt column.

There are a few 7/16 or 3/8 bolts underneath the column. If you tighten them up it will sometimes cure the play you're asking about.
    It's not the two 13mm bolts. I've been familiar with that procedure for years. I'm fairly confident it's actually the bearing on the tilt mechanism.

So for those who have replaced the bearing, how did you do it? Did you pull the whole column, then drill out the tilt mechanism? Like this guy did?

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-issue.847679/

Or did you somehow manage to extract the bearing with the column in the car (I can't see how that is possible) and install a new Ford bearing (F23Z-3517-B) per this thread.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...n-bearing.html

If yours is like mine,
    1. Remove the two nuts that attach the steering column lower shaft and u joint assembly to the flange on the steering gear input shaft.
    2. Remove the snap ring holding the upper bearing onto the steering shaft.
    3. Pull outward on the steering shaft. The shaft will move about 1/4" carrying the upper bearing and sleeve with it. Put 2 screwdrivers under the bearing using the 2 ramps in the casting. That's what they are for. Gently pry the bearing off the knurl on the steering shaft.

But usually the problem is loose mounting bolts.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    If yours is like mine,
    1. Remove the two nuts that attach the steering column lower shaft and u joint assembly to the flange on the steering gear input shaft.
    2. Remove the snap ring holding the upper bearing onto the steering shaft.
    3. Pull outward on the steering shaft. The shaft will move about 1/4" carrying the upper bearing and sleeve with it. Put 2 screwdrivers under the bearing using the 2 ramps in the casting. That's what they are for. Gently pry the bearing off the knurl on the steering shaft.

But usually the problem is loose mounting bolts.
    Red, which two nuts are you referring to?

I have 4 nuts that support the column to the dash hull. Then there's the two 13mm bolts behind the turn signal stalk.

Here is another picture:

2 13mm bolts that are already tight:

In the engine compartment you must disconnect the u joint assembly (rag joint) from the steering rack.
    That is where the bolts are.

As long as you have the column disconnected from the steering rack, that is what matters.

I gave you instructions from where you had it torn down to in the original picture.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    In the engine compartment you must disconnect the u joint assembly (rag joint) from the steering rack.
    That is where the bolts are.

As long as you have the column disconnected from the steering rack, that is what matters.

I gave you instructions from where you had it torn down to in the original picture.
    I'll get the bearing and pull the column out this week. Good to know that it's actually serviceable.

Kevin, where is the tilt screw that you speak of?

Think I'd try this method of fixing a loose wheel before tackling a bearing R&R --> http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/column.html

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    Think I'd try this method of fixing a loose wheel before tackling a bearing R&R --> http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/column.html
    Refer to post 13. My issue is not with those two bolts. That "fix" is the first thing that you try, yes, but in some cases the problem is a little deeper.

FEP Member

Does anyone know if there is a lower bushing? I know there is a lower sleeve you can buy but I have NEVER seen or heard of people replacing them. I replaced the upper bearing in my column and it was better but you can still grab the shaft outside the firewall and there is obvious play there.

thanks,

Drew