Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just a FYI, there is a pair of NOS blue RS decals on Ebay right now.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Quote Originally Posted by eric5oh View Post
    Just a FYI, there is a pair of NOS blue RS decals on Ebay right now.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    Is that bungee straps I see you pulling that motor with?
    What? There are 6 of them.

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. I was just being a smart ass. I used chains.

I'm starting to worry now. I' ve got the engine out and I'm about to hook the new one up to the trans. and install it. Hopefully I'll be ready by next week (that'll give me time to paint the engine compartment). Problem is, it's been years since I've had an engine apart and there's always that nagging feeling in my gut that it won't start or it'll blow up.

Between that and all of the parts that are no longer connected to the car, I'm getting nervous

Looks like its coming along. Keep up the good work!!
    85 Capri-408w afr205 heads demon carb 3.73 t5 18" fr500's Mach 1 brakes, aje k-member eibach springs shock struts sway bars, autometer in dash gauges
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=124386

Well, I stayed up all night and got the engine bay painted. It seems extremely dark to me. Got it all done and noticed that I missed a spot! D'oh! I keep thinking that I see "tiger stripes" but when I move the lights and take pictures I don't really see it. It may be in my head. I found a couple of dry spots where I tried touching up the clear.

It doesn't look too bad. I didn't spend too much time making sure that it was perfect. It is going to be mostly hidden by the engine.

This is where I keep thinking that I see the striping. It is kind of awkward to get all the sides and around the strut tower.

The firewall doesn't look too horrible (from this view).

This is going to keep me up for awhile. I can't believe that I missed this . I may be able to touch it with an air brush after the car is all together. Don't know. Maybe the brake lines and some other odds and ends will hide it some.

It seems a lot darker than I think that it should be.

Hopefully I can get the clutch and trans all assembled so that I can install it and start it on Tuesday or Wednesday.

It probably looks darker to you because it's new paint and it could depend on which alternate they mixed your batch on. Rolling the car outside will give you a better idea but in the end, it's new paint it's probably gonna look darker because of the clear being new, mostly.

The stripe effect could be metallic sag if it's a metallic color, I can't really tell by your pictures but it looks to be. That could be because of spray technique, gun settings, etc., so don't worry about it too much at this point. It looks good and like you said, when you get everything bolted back into place you won't see much of your efforts anyway. I think it looks good... good job.

I use to paint a lot of cars and I'd jamb cars out without a respirator sometimes, and usually those times I'd see stripes too... and sometimes I'd see other things like Big Bird and Elmo in the paint room with me and I'd swear I could fly too. Make sure you wear a respirator.

I use to paint a lot of cars and I'd jamb cars out without a respirator sometimes, and usually those times I'd see stripes too... and sometimes I'd see other things like Big Bird and Elmo in the paint room with me and I'd swear I could fly too. Make sure you wear a respirator.
    That's funny. I do wear a respirator.

It is a metallic color. I figured the striping was due to that, but like I said, it seemed to have cleared up. Where I painted some on the drivers door, it actually matches where the stripe was pretty good so I guess it's not too dark? I can't wait to get the engine in and fired up. That ought to motivate me a little bit.

Oh it will. A lot of the time it's best if you can carry a piece of the car (if not the whole car) to the paint jobber and have them use the camera on it to get a mix code, usually matches really well that way. That is, unless you have the label where the paint was mixed the first time it was painted and then it'll have the alternate code on it and they can go from there. But I see nothing wrong with what you got, looks good.

Now finish the car, pretty please with sugar on top, so I can get motivated to just start on mine.

I'm kind of mad at myself right now. I would have had the engine and trans. back in the car on Saturday morning but... I forgot to send the flywheel out to get resurfaced. Now I have to wait until Tuesday to take it in. Hopefully they can knock it out real quick.

I suppose I'm still running on time. As long as there are no major hiccups. You know, like the engine knocking or smoking or blowing up, etc.... Then I'll just have to hurry up and seal up the old engine just so that I can get it back together.

Maybe I can use bungee's to pull my motor too...

Maybe I can use bungee's to pull my motor too...
    You'd be surprised at how easy it makes it. You know all of those times that the engine gets stuck and you have to keep lowering and raising the hoist? Well, you stand on top of the engine, jump off of it, and it will bounce straight up out of the bay.

Imma try that tomorrow...

Wow, it's been almost two weeks since I got a chance to work on the car. That's not helping my Easter goal any. I have been working a bunch in other departments at work, cross training to open up even more over time opportunities and hopefully make myself more valuable. Then I worked on some other people's crap for some spare cash. Wow, time flies when you're having fun.

All I got done tonight is the clutch and trans attached to the engine and then I installed them. It is all bolted up. Hopefully, I will be able to work on it more on Tuesday before I take off on vacation. My 10 year anniversary is taking me away so I can't work on the car.

I get to looking at the engine bay and I have a bad feeling that I will soon regret not spending more time and effort on it. There are a lot of things that I noticed that I don't like and I think looks cheap. I hurried up and sprayed it and didn't do as much disassembly as I should've because I thought that I'd have it back together and running already. I also skimped on the clear on most of the places that I thought wouldn't be seen (like the bottom inside of the rad. support and the bottoms of the k-member). I also did a horrible job of getting around the brake booster and master cylinder. I should have just yanked them out.

At least the spot that I flat out missed is kind of hidden by the break lines and stuff.

Oh, and I broke this thing. I'm assuming that it's for the neutral safety switch or something. It attaches on the left (driver's) side of the trans.

Wow, it's been almost two weeks since I got a chance to work on the car. That's not helping my Easter goal any. I have been working a bunch in other departments at work, cross training to open up even more over time opportunities and hopefully make myself more valuable. Then I worked on some other people's crap for some spare cash. Wow, time flies when you're having fun.

All I got done tonight is the clutch and trans attached to the engine and then I installed them. It is all bolted up. Hopefully, I will be able to work on it more on Tuesday before I take off on vacation. My 10 year anniversary is taking me away so I can't work on the car.

I get to looking at the engine bay and I have a bad feeling that I will soon regret not spending more time and effort on it. There are a lot of things that I noticed that I don't like and I think looks cheap. I hurried up and sprayed it and didn't do as much disassembly as I should've because I thought that I'd have it back together and running already. I also skimped on the clear on most of the places that I thought wouldn't be seen (like the bottom inside of the rad. support and the bottoms of the k-member). I also did a horrible job of getting around the brake booster and master cylinder. I should have just yanked them out.

At least the spot that I flat out missed is kind of hidden by the break lines and stuff.

Oh, and I broke this thing. I'm assuming that it's for the neutral safety switch or something. It attaches on the left (driver's) side of the trans.

I am glad to hear someone else honest for one and secondly, it's good to know other people break things while fixing things, LOL. So far I have broken a Turbo oil line and a hard water line though I really think the line was on it's very last days anyway and would have broken soon, probably while out on the road driving.
    It is hard to tell from the pictures but your car looks good to me. It has to be an improvement over what the factory did for sure. Do you think you hurry too much or is it a budget issue? It will come together and look great I am sure. Thanks for saving another Fox.

That thing you broke has to be either the backup light switch or neutral safety switch. If the car is together enough, put it in reverse and turn the key on and see if the backup lights come on. If not, stick a paperclip in the harness and if they come on that settles it. If they still don't then it is the neutral switch.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I have a spreadsheet of things I've broken or are missing as part of my build. Just goes with working on something this old.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Wow, it's been almost a year since I've worked on this. Life got in the way for awhile. Over the weekend I was able to finish blocking the hood and got the front fenders in their final coat of primer. One more blocking and they're done.

I've decided to replace the roof while I'm doing this. I'm picking up a shell from a friend in a couple of weeks when my work schedule calms down. I'm gonna steal the roof off of that for mine and then the frame rails and floor pans for my son's car. I didn't like the cheap after market sunroof I had and I started worrying that something would happen to it when the car was all done and I wouldn't be able to replace it. Then I'd be stuck with a hole in the roof.

I'm hoping to get the doors and hood jambed soon.

been awhile... how's the car coming along?

cale

Hell.... It's only been 6 years. I started working on the car this spring and wound up taking it to my buddy's shop for paint. After throwing 2 more kids into the mix, I realized that I will never get around to finishing it. It's blocked and will hopefully have the body painted this weekend, although it may have to wait until I'm off of work next weekend.

Eventually I'll get around to posting pictures. The car is painted and being assembled. I have some trim, quarter windows, sunroof, and interior to install. It's coming along though. I was trying to post pictures but the files are too large so I'll have to fix them later.

Name:  washed.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  washed2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  washedtrim.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  32.7 KB

Hope to have pictures of it after final assembly and driving soon.

Beautiful color. Looking forward to seeing more. Are you going to tint the windows? That would probably look cool.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12