Close

Default Radio hook up harness. Bunch of wires????

Well it looks like someone has hacked up my harness to wire in a radio. I am not sure what to do or which wires to use? Can anyone help me. Here is the connectors i have.

Just bought a wiring connector kit and i can figure out.
    Last edited by MyBadZ; 01-17-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Chris Wood

The hacked up harness is not that big of a problem, and it is very common in cars that are the age of ours.

Being that I am @ work and your photo hosting site is blocked, and I have no idea what year or optioned car you have, here is my "down and dirty" radio install info.

The easiest way that I can think of is to just trace your wires, right front, left front, right rear, and left rear, once you get that sorted out; the rest is cake. You should need a 12V key-on source (that will power your radio), a constant 12V source (that keeps your clock, settings, and presets), and a good ground. The ONLY way to make sure that you have the wires that you need for the power source and the ground is with a multi-meter, or at least a test light.

Now most people are tempted to get out the old pocket knife, and a roll of electrical tape---DON'T DO IT. If you are going to spend the time to install ANY electronic device, you may as well do it the right (trouble-free down the road) way. Go get yourself some solder, a good pair of strippers (no, not girls, but hey if you can pull a pair of those--good for you), and some heat shrink tubing, you will also need a soldering iron (I use a small butane torch, to me it is much easier and quicker).

An alternative to the solder method is using crimp on connectors, they are good also although they do fail from time to time--usually from incorrect installation techniques.

Hope I helped.
    Last edited by Chris Wood; 01-17-2012 at 06:52 PM.