Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I-Pods

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    Wow! That's HARDCORE with that amount of CD's! I can see why you'd stick with them. It takes a LONG time to upload all of them into I-Tunes and then it takes additional time to get them onto the I-pod. For the records, I don't even know if you could convert them over or not. I don't blame you at all!
    I don't know if there's any way to go from record to mp3 in one step.

I do have a record player that records directly to cd. Then any cd can be ripped into mp3s on any computer. But that is REALLY time consuming. Can't even set it and walk away. It requires you to hit a button between tracks or else it records the cd as one really long track.

40 in 3 weeks, love the IPOD Touch, and CD's

I've heard about the Zune's but I've already had my i-pod for about 3 years and didn't hear about it until recently. You're right about the game apps though - I'd never use them! I'm all "video gamed" out. After growing up on them and moving from one system to another, I think I've "had my fill".
    Exactly. Watch any review on YouTube about iPod vs. Zune, they all say that the Zune HD is a higher quality player and that the iPod is just a doohickey with a million apps. The Zune has some game apps, but it also has some essentials:
    Alarm Clock
    Calculator
    Calendar
    Email
    Facebook
    Level
    Notes
    Stopwatch
    MSN Weather

Also the original earphones that you get with the Zune are VERY HIGH QUALITY, not the cheap crap you get with an iPod.

Sadly, however, Microsoft has stopped making the Zune. too many sheeple bought an iPod that Zune sorta turned into a sinking ship. You can still buy new ones, but they are whats left of the Zune stock.

I hope you choose to switch, it's well worth it.
    1980 Cobra 8W Chamois Glow
    302 w/Performer Intake & Cam, T5, Hooker Super Comp Shorties, BBK Off Road X-pipe, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back
    BBK Progressive springs, Koni SA Shocks
    Ask me about interior panel resto, PM me if you have Recaro parts.
    Kenny
    (son of 347togo)
    Click here for my Interior Resto guide
    Build Thread
    Turnin', Burnin', and Learnin'

I love my Ipod, a 120GB classic with about 4600 songs on it. I'll be 47 i two months.
    1986 Black GT with T-tops

Quote Originally Posted by 80CobraKid View Post
    Exactly. Watch any review on YouTube about iPod vs. Zune, they all say that the Zune HD is a higher quality player and that the iPod is just a doohickey with a million apps.
    I had the 120GB Zune first. I liked the interface far better as well as some of the other points you mentioned BUT I had two of them brick on me, one during the warranty peroid and one shortly after a year was up. Never again.
    1986 Black GT with T-tops

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    I am in my late 30s, but in our home, we have ipods, iphones, an ipad, mac laptops and a mac desktop. The only windows we have are the windows in the home that we look out of.....

I've been a mac user since their stock was worthless, but I'm also a technologist that sort of must be on the leading edge of tech. I've always believed macs have been more intuitive for the users.
    Same Here Ed, and I just got Apple TV for Christmas. Know I can run all my music, movies and You Tube videos on my flat screen TV. Plus Airplay just got updated which means I can run apps from the ipad on my TV

Tomorrow I will be receiving our new system, Mac Mini for storage/server use and a Macbook Air. The lat Computer I bout was in 1994 and it was a white Ibook. How many PC's last that long without any issues???

I am 37 and have been a MAC User since working on Mac SE's in High School.
    ~Bryan

1985 Mustang GT w/ T-Tops, Original Paint, 160,XXX miles
    Mods: 600cfm Carb, Underdrive Pulleys, Subframe Connectors, 4pt G-Load Brace, MM Strut Tower brace, 8.8 rear w/ 3.55 gears & LCA's

Pics from production of "The Saleen Book"
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1027847075

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select1271.htm

I'm 37 and I've had a 16GB Ipod Nano for years. I have almost 13GB on it, my whole CD collection. It is very nice because my new F150 has a USB port to plug it in directly to the Sync system. Talk and drive.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

iPods are probably the most important invention to the music industry since electric guitars. It has brought music to the masses like never before, even more so than Walkmans did which says a lot because the Walkman was a big deal. I also grew up with cassettes and i remember toting around 20 or so cassettes in a case so i'd have something to listen to, now i have a 16gb Nano 5th gen and it has about 1900 songs on it (i rip mine to 320bit so i don't get as many on it) and i don't leave home without it. I don't even burn CD's for my car anymore, i just plug the Nano into the auxiliary plug on the front and i have plenty of music with me. I listen to it at work and my boss has actually told me i'm more productive while wearing it so they approve of it.

My mom always collected/played albums when i was a kid. At one time she had over 3000 45's and 100s of albums. Back when i first got an iPod it was a 30gb Video and i had something like 3500 songs on it. When i explained to her how much music was on there she just shook her head and went on about how she had to tote around albums in milk crates lol. I bought her a new Nano for this past Christmas, she's 56. She picked up right away how to use it since the touch screen works similar to her phone. Every time i see her she has it on and loves it.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

FEP Senior Member

30 use my android phone with sd cards or dont really listen to music in the mustang. My passat has a cd changer, and tape deck with an adaptor so I can play stuff from my phone. Never bought into the i-pod craze, have a no-name one but my phone has more room for storage. Might be getting a macbook pro tho but that is because I got it for a good price.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Quote Originally Posted by Killingcivics View Post
    30 use my android phone with sd cards or dont really listen to music in the mustang. My passat has a cd changer, and tape deck with an adaptor so I can play stuff from my phone. Never bought into the i-pod craze, have a no-name one but my phone has more room for storage. Might be getting a macbook pro tho but that is because I got it for a good price.
    Personally i can't stand Apple for anything but iPods. I've tried a bunch of different mp3 players and i prefer the iPod to every brand i've tried. I haven't had a Zune though but they were/are pretty expensive. I used to use a phone i had but i got sick of playing music all day and then not having enough battery for using the phone when i needed it.
    -EVIL SSP-
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 85_SS_302_Coupe View Post
    Personally i can't stand Apple for anything but iPods. I've tried a bunch of different mp3 players and i prefer the iPod to every brand i've tried. I haven't had a Zune though but they were/are pretty expensive. I used to use a phone i had but i got sick of playing music all day and then not having enough battery for using the phone when i needed it.
    I just plug in my usb and charge it at the same time. The macbook I like it because it is smooth and doesnt stink like my g/f's windows vista when it comes to doing anything.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Quote Originally Posted by ekim7971 View Post
    I have a zune which i like 100X better then my old ipods. SO much easier to mess with and no iTunes i hate how it locks your songs to iTunes. I use my HTC instpire with a 32gig memory card for my music playing now. Much Much better
    You can Blame the IRAA for that. Not Apples fault. They have to do things to make the IRAA happy.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

There are plenty of "flash drive mp3 players" on the market that you basically upload and play music but you can also copy files off them.

For what it's worth, iTunes lets you burn backups of anything you buy into mp3 format so is it really that big of a deal that you can't copy music off your iPod? Another cool thing about iTunes is, anything you ever download they keep record of and you can download it again as many times as you like, if for example you lose your hard drive, you don't lose your music.
    -EVIL SSP-
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

I have all my songs on my phone (Android) - was never much into the i-stuff because I hate i-tunes and being forced to use it.

The new radio I put in the Capri will play mp3's directly off a 4 gig jump drive...sooo cool I love it!

Edit: since were throwing ages around I'll be 36 in 10 days! woot!

Love my Ipod. Just put a Sony with the Ipod tray into my father in laws Jeep and think it's great! Might have to install one in them Capri! Not a huge fan of iTunes, but . . .

As for age, I got you beat Mike, I will be 43 in March!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Songs are in no way locked to iTunes. They can be moved about fairly easy. It's all in your skill level. I do admit, iTunes on a mac is worlds nicer to use than iTunes on Windows, which is what you're all probably using if you're bitching. I like my iPhone, I don't care that it doesn't have 4G, it's fast enough for me. If I need to surf that bad, I'm usually near enough to a computer and if I'm not, I can wait if it's something that my phone can't handle. Plus it automatically sync's through bluetooth to the STI's radio.. 32 gigs of auto syncing random music rules!
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

You guys do know you only HAVE to use iTunes for the actual uploading of music onto an iPod right? You can download music from anywhere you feel like it....CDs, Amazon, wherever, and then just upload those files into iTunes and then onto your iPod.

My biggest gripe about iPods is that they don't have a custom EQ option. That said, they do offer some of the best bass of any mp3 player i've used...it's not all about what kind of buds you use, it's no different than the power of a head unit in a house stereo or car. Most of the other brands i've tried just don't sound anywhere near as good as an iPod, even the ones that DID have custom EQ.
    -EVIL SSP-
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Thanks for the responses guys. It's good to see a lot of the late 30's and into the late 40's crowd into this new technology. We've even had a couple of member's in their 50's who've posted up. This is encouraging to me because I know a lot of people who are my age or older who haven't got a clue on this stuff.

That being said, I am using Windows XP for my I-Tunes stuff and while I'm pretty good at it these days, there's been a lot of frustration and head scratching in the past. Currently I'm using one of those FM transmitters to broadcast my I-Pod through the car stereo. Naturally, it's not as good as a true I-Pod jack connection but it does the trick at the moment. My next stereo will have the jack and hopefully won't have a tape or CD player.

Keep the responses coming!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

You guys do know you only HAVE to use iTunes for the actual uploading of music onto an iPod right? You can download music from anywhere you feel like it....CDs, Amazon, wherever, and then just upload those files into iTunes and then onto your iPod.

My biggest gripe about iPods is that they don't have a custom EQ option. That said, they do offer some of the best bass of any mp3 player i've used...it's not all about what kind of buds you use, it's no different than the power of a head unit in a house stereo or car. Most of the other brands i've tried just don't sound anywhere near as good as an iPod, even the ones that DID have custom EQ.
    That's the point I was trying to make earlier. I just think people that only have used it a few times don't know everything you can do with it.

I do hate that it's slow on my windows PC, but I almost wonder if they (Apple) did that on purpose. IDK I don't use it to upload new cds I buy. I just copy them onto the hard drive and then point itunes to the folder.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's good to see a lot of the late 30's and into the late 40's crowd into this new technology. We've even had a couple of member's in their 50's who've posted up. This is encouraging to me because I know a lot of people who are my age or older who haven't got a clue on this stuff.

That being said, I am using Windows XP for my I-Tunes stuff and while I'm pretty good at it these days, there's been a lot of frustration and head scratching in the past. Currently I'm using one of those FM transmitters to broadcast my I-Pod through the car stereo. Naturally, it's not as good as a true I-Pod jack connection but it does the trick at the moment. My next stereo will have the jack and hopefully won't have a tape or CD player.

Keep the responses coming!
    That's what I am currently doing, but I have a new head unit and front speakers sitting here waiting to go in. Plan to do that when I tackle the heater core.

The program i used to use to rip CD's is giving me fits and i'm not sure why, so lately i've been using iTunes. It works just fine really, it just doesn't have as many options as my other program does as far as ID3 tagging and stuff like that.

I've tried a few FM transmitters..never liked any of them...even a cassette adapter sounds better.
    -EVIL SSP-
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

The program i used to use to rip CD's is giving me fits and i'm not sure why, so lately i've been using iTunes. It works just fine really, it just doesn't have as many options as my other program does as far as ID3 tagging and stuff like that.

I've tried a few FM transmitters..never liked any of them...even a cassette adapter sounds better.
    Interestingly I'm using it with an antenna delete plug and it sounds better than it did with the full antenna. I guess it's because there is zero interference.

I'm 43, and I won't buy ANY Apple product.

I do have several Sansa mp3 players which are perfect for what I want. These are the Clip + units. They're small (2" x 1.25"x 0.5"), have expandable storage, and are cheap. The biggest one I have is the 8Gb model, but is expandable with Micro SD cards (can use up to 32Gb cards). I picked up a couple 4Gb units as spares because I got them for less than $10 each.

They use Windows Media player, or you can just drag and drop stuff to it.

I'm still working on ripping all my CDs down (got sidetracked by ripping DVDs to the HTPC HD), but it's so much better than messing with the hard-copies.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I have a Sansa, i don't know which model but it runs off 2 AAA batteries and is only 1gb...I LOVE IT. It's super simple to use and copy music onto...just open it like a folder, copy/delete files as you wish and you're good to go. There's no uploading programs to deal with. The only thing i don't like is how small capacity it is. I don't even mind the AAA batteries because i never have to wait to charge it...just swap batteries and go. The only down side is it doesn't have a very strong output so the bass suffers a bit, especially compared to an iPod. The best part is i got it new for $9. Can't beat that.
    -EVIL SSP-
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

I'm 43 & will probably never own an I-Pod. I'm a CD & record (LP) guy.
    Last edited by escogt; 01-16-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast