Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I-Pods

I plan on permanently integrating a nano touch one day into the GT, small enough to not draw attention in public parking, while still being easily accessible.
    Car: 1986 Mustang GT Hatchback || 5.0L H.O. || Borg-Warner T5 || 171,000 Miles || 25 mpg

Mods: Bfg G-Force T/A KDW || K&N/silencer removed || Hood pins

Times: faster then a speeding Prius

I had a CD collection about 5-6 yrs ago. IIRC, I had over 500 CD's... amassed over a few years time of course. I also had the original iPod 30g photo and an iTunes account.

My CD collection was merely collecting dust, as I did not pull CD's and listen to them as often as I did prior to my iPod30... So, one day, I catalogged them into an Excel file. After logging them all in (by album/Artist), I then copied each into my iTunes library.

Once they were all copied and I confirmed the songs "worked" in iTunes, or from a transfer from iT to my 30g - then I listed the entire collection on craigslist. I sold the entire collection within 3 days for $800.00.

I've never looked back, or thought of purchasing another CD since. All my music is D/led via iT, and I have multi copies of my library for back up purposes, in the event a HD goes down.

My original 30g photo eventually "bricked", so my wife purchased me a new 160g iPod Classic in black to replace the old 30g. I can't live w/o an iPod - as I use it in all my vehicles when not wanting to listen to broadcast tunes.

I also enabled Home Sharing on all of my Apple devices (MAC G4, iPad, etc) and all of my PC based computers/laptops and have copied my original iT library to those machines/devices. This way, I can access my iTunes library ANYWHERE when at home.

Anytime I d/l a new song from iTunes, I can instantly port it to any one of the devices that are activated under Home Sharing.

That Steve Jobs was brilliant...
    - Phil
    1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13 and 2018 Mustang EB Premium w/Perf Pack

I'm a couple of years shy of the big 4-0, but I'm a tech guy by profession, so I've always had the fancy gizmos. I've had a few different MP3 players over the years, I still come back to an iPhone or iPod simply because it has the biggest 'aftermarket' support, want a clock radio for your MP3 player, iPod compatible are everywhere. Buy a new car, it will likely have an iPod connection. And on it goes. Basically no other player has that kind of support.

I've never looked back, or thought of purchasing another CD since. All my music is D/led via iT, and I have multi copies of my library for back up purposes, in the event a HD goes down.
    I used to do the same thing, but I've since switched to Amazon's MP3 deal. The selection is nearly as good (at least for the stuff I listen to) and it's typically much cheaper, especially when you catch the sale stuff, like the $5 albums or 69 cent songs. Buy them, download them, import them into iTunes and off I go.

Quote Originally Posted by escogt View Post
    I'm 43 & will probably never own an I-Pod. I'm a CD & record (LP) guy.
    I'm with you. May even throw in an 8 track or cassette once in a while.

Crap I gotta order that!!! Lol

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Quote Originally Posted by jeff85 View Post
    I'm with you. May even throw in an 8 track or cassette once in a while.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about my massive cassette collection. LOL No 8-tracks though.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

36yrs old.

I have an ipod touch 32g with a couple thousand songs. Sounds good in my F150 and the sync controls are cool. The games and apps are nice to have when I'm waiting at the doctor, etc, since my phone doesn't have any toys.

Music transfer question:

Is there a way for me to add someone else's music to my ipod at work? I guess this goes for adding songs anywhere except at home with itunes.

A few guys at work are in local bands and like to share their music. They have regular mp3 players and just dump a folder on our work computers and transfer it to the other mp3 players. Then they delete the folder from the computer when done. They can also copy directly from one player to another since there are several USBs and card readers on our workstations.

We aren't allowed to load any programs on our computers (locked out). I usually have to save onto a thumb drive so I can save to my computer later at home, then finally save again to my ipod.
    '83 Mustang GLX---T-Tops, 5.0 EFI/TKO600/8.8, Ebrock hds/int, F303, 4whl discs, 3.27s, 70mm turbo @16psi.

iTunes was written for Apple  originally and its OS system, which is UNIX based. It's totally different than Windows, that's why iTunes doesn't function as smoothly on a PC as it does on a Mac. Same applies to Quicktime and Safari.

iTunes is so complicated for those of you who "hate" it because you're using it on a PC for one and then you're probably use to Windows Media Player or maybe Winamp. It's one of those things where we dislike what we don't understand, iTunes is fairly easy to use once you "RTFM". The AAC file format that iTunes uses can easily be changed to MP3 if you're using it to burn a CD, you simply select that output in the preferences of iTunes. iTunes has no trouble reading MP3's.

I have an iPod Touch 4G, Mac Pro desktop, Macbook laptop. I also own about 8 PC's, desktops and laptops, I use my Mac about 95% of the time. There are some PC applications that aren't offered for a Mac unless of course you use Parallels or dual boot, which I wouldn't ever do to my Mac. So when I want to access the newsgroups, I use my PC.

The way to ease some of the problems with Apple wanting to have such end control of their products is to jailbreak them, iPod and iPhone. I've jailbroken my iPod and soon as I get my iPhone, it'll be jailbroken too. It really does open up a new world to it. Just my 2 cents...

Oh, and I'm not saying that Mac is better than PC or anything like that, I'm just saying for me Mac is better as it suites my needs better. Both have their pro's and con's however...

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I'm reviving this thread that's now 8 years old to post an update. Time has marched forward and I'm now 51 years old, my Windows XP has been upgraded to Windows 7 and now to Windows 10. My 160 gig I-Pod classic has made way for an I-Phone 6 with enough memory to store all of my music and I'm no longer using an FM transmitter to play it. I've installed a killer Kenwood system with Blu-tooth in my Cobra and my wife's mini-van also has that capability. I tell ya, I wish this stuff was available back in the '80's!

I can now honestly say that I'm so used to I-tunes now, it doesn't cause a problem for me. I'm still an "old school" CD guy at heart but since I can't really buy them locally anymore, I borrow them or buy them used and then upload them into I-tunes. Having 3,000+ songs on my phone is amazing!

Anyone else grown with this new technology as well?
    Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 01-16-2020 at 10:59 PM.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Nope.......still spin vinyl and make mixed cassette tapes for my 85 and 88 Mustang. I do have a MP3 player I use once in awhile......with songs from vinyl....LOL

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

No new tech for me!

mostly cds. Cougar has cassette deck that I rock my old cassettes in, also has a 12 disc changer in the trunk.

I also have vinyl in house and garage and functional and 8 track player I use time to time.

I just don't have a desire or need to use the new tech. I'm old school also, 48 years young. LOL
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I use music streaming apps on my iPhone connected either via bluetooth or Apple car play in my Jeep. I don't have a single song loaded directly on my phone and it has a 256G HD. Of course I do have over 7K pictures and over 1300 videos on so the drive is almost half full. lol

I've got a Kenwood bluetooth deck in my Zeph. I have an ipod touch that I use all the time. I generally prefer to connect it by wire though. It has USB inputs too. I feel like I'M old school because I still use the mp3 player instead of a streaming service.

I have pretty decent speakers and amps in the car though, so I wanted to make sure to still have CD capability (not something most would care about I think) so that I can take advantage of the higher quality sound CD offers over MP3.

Here's a related discussion.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...88#post1914888
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

All of my music has been uploaded to my phone. My Ipod Classic and Ipod Nano both won't take a charge anymore. I keep saying I am going to get a new battery put in the Classic, but it never happens. I have Sirius XM in my truck and on the App so I can stream Hair Nation in all my rides anytime I want/need. I prefer to still have a CD player in addition to the Bluetooth, Sirius, etc. but it seems they are getting more scarce every day.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I have a receiver in my 88 that has an sd slot (no cd). That's probably the best and simplest/easiest setup I could imagine. Run out of room? Grab another card. They're dirt cheap. I already have a bunch of them lying around, since I run multiple trail cameras.

My pace car has the stock cassette deck, and the 79 cobra has an 80's Alpine cassette deck. I really only drive the 88, since the others are still works in progress. In my '17 Tacoma, I've been using a couple burned cd's. They were burned as data discs and retain their mp3 file type. Iirc, I get 2-300 songs on them, depending on quality. I also use Pandora app on my phone (bluetoothed to the truck). I'm 46 and you couldn't pay me to use any Apple products. In fact, I have an iPhone provided by my employer. If my boss needs me, he calls on my personal Android.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's interesting to hear the feedback from everybody. Two days ago I downloaded the I-Heart radio app onto my phone and now I can listen to my favorite radio stations STATIC FREE by turning to the Blu-Tooth receiver part of my stereos. The best part? They're broadcast nation wide so if you're in Massachusetts and tuned into 94-HJY (local rock station), you can listen to it all across the nation on your cruise without it fading out or becoming full of static.

It's amazing what our phones have become. They're now our alarm clocks, flashlights, cameras, speedometers, CD music collection holders, radio stations, etc.....
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

About 20 years ago, I saw my first mini itx motherboard computer. I was obsessed with trying to build a computer to put into my car, with the goal of fitting it in a single din slot. I spend $600 on a 533mhz fanless setup and $200 on a 12v power supply. Never got around to buying the screen or an optical drive.

This is when the very first mobile internet stuff was hitting laptops. I was going to essentially build a full sized server into the rear wheel well area for online and network sharing. I even moulded a keyboard around a steering wheel and bought a usb touch pad to mount in the center console area.

Really wish I would have finished that project. At the time, hardware was just too expensive and the technology was changing and becoming outdated too quickly.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    About 20 years ago, I saw my first mini itx motherboard computer. I was obsessed with trying to build a computer to put into my car, with the goal of fitting it in a single din slot. I spend $600 on a 533mhz fanless setup and $200 on a 12v power supply. Never got around to buying the screen or an optical drive.

This is when the very first mobile internet stuff was hitting laptops. I was going to essentially build a full sized server into the rear wheel well area for online and network sharing. I even moulded a keyboard around a steering wheel and bought a usb touch pad to mount in the center console area.

Really wish I would have finished that project. At the time, hardware was just too expensive and the technology was changing and becoming outdated too quickly.
    That's a pretty cool idea. I've seen people mount I-Pads in their dashboards. That too, is pretty cool.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Samsung Galaxy series-Android phone here.
    Have about 20 classic songs loaded.
    I know what they are supposed to sound like, heard 100's of times on many different stereo systems.
    Plug smartphone player into the system mostly to adjust any sound quality mods done to car audio.

Added phone apps installed are: FM radio, barcode scanner, sound analyzer (db and freq), pdf reader.
    Phone used for taking pics and for memos. Shopping lists, item and parts specs, parts/item pics, for hunts.
    Phone WiFi internet is occasionally and briefly used away from home internet via hotspots. PITA.
    Cellphone part has never been used. No cloud action or social media. Have USB Bluetooth for phone to pc connections.

Computer in the car? 2005 IBM ThinkPad. For running DeLorme GPS program. Worked great. Using Garmins for that now.
    Found they, along with AM radio, provide all the info i need when on the road..
    A laptop is way better for mobile internet than a stupid little screen, buttons and icons of a smartphone.
    Laptop is removable in hot or cold weather. Is bulky.

Still have most of my album and home recorded cassette music collection from the late 60's to late 80's. Several 8 trk survive too.
    Never bothered with burning a CD or DVD. Takes too much work.
    I use car stereo for AM/FM only. Most of the time i listen to the car with radio on low volume level.
    Jumped forward to SD cards for portable media storage and transfers.
    All disks here are software programs, pre recorded movies, and classic tv shows.

Problem with a large media collection:
    Home on pc, vcr tapes, mobile phone, or portable media player.
    Finding something quickly. Unless well sorted or indexed, takes too long.

Small notepads and Bic pens are fastest for jotting or sketching a thought down.
    Have RCA mini digital tv for away from home use viewing of local tv. Can connect to car stereo for 'drive in' sound.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-19-2020 at 07:11 PM.

OK computer.

Accer Laptop and and old in car behind the seat tower is housed in a case, and its PSU Specs are

AC input 100-127/200-240 Volts 7/3.5 Amps, 60/50Hz
    DC out put 300Watts
    +3.3 Volt andf +5Volt = m130 Watt draw max

My other supplies are 350 Watt DC output, with current draws in +3.3/+5 volts of 126 to 152 Watts.

The tower is an AMD which my son owned, and its been placed in our family HP Tower.

Going on 63 this year, no I-pod, but a six disc in dash in the Volvo.
    The artist range from The Kingston Trio, Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman and a mix disc of CW McCall (William Fries jr).
    If the last one got ya thinking, Google "Convoy".
    The 86 Vert has the original tape deck, the garage has a quadrophonic home stereo.
    Some where in the corner is a Factory Ford 8 track that I had in my Chevelle SS.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    mix disc of CW McCall (William Fries jr).
    If the last one got ya thinking, Google "Convoy".
    CJ5 and 4 wheel drive. I know CW, unsure anyone else did.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234