Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    86 50CPRI

It really is taking shape. Congrats on the hard work! Looks great.

its looking much better
    2002 Honda Civic EX daily driver
    1999 Crown Vic interceptor, backup daily

Thanks guys!
    Started stripping her today for body work Pics to come, and I am scared to start or even move the car now...
    -Sam
    1982 Mustang GL two hatchbacks, 3.3l and 5.0l
    1983 Capri RS Black Magic Ttop
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8337
    1985 Mustang LX SSP CHP 8362
    1985 Mustang LX 3.8l 'Vert

Well, to be frank, it needs another engine
    Got the battery all charged up and the car ran SO MUCH BETTER and smoother than before. It just wouldn't idle down. I was getting excited because I was finally gonna get to drive one of my foxes. But once the car warmed up, and was manually idled down, the aftermarket oil pressure gauge went to 0. I thought the oil was low, and was low the last time I checked, my dad put another quart in I think, but then there was too much oil.

Took it for a very short test drive yesterday evening. Brake booster is bad, so the brakes were horrible and almost couldn't stop the car. The trans wouldn't shift, but would shift manually. At higher rpm's, the valve train would rattle and make noise like crazy, that means no oil is getting to the top of the motor.
    I wanted to take some nice pics of the car today, so I started her up and pulled her out, I almost couldn't stop and almost backed into a ditch because of that. The front brakes would lock up, but the car would still want to go. Put it in gear and the it would jump due to not idling down. Then trying to turn the car around almost caused me to go into a telephone pole (brakes). And it kept stalling (It felt like I was in a manual trans car). I stopped right before I entered the fence to my dads shop for a couple more pics, then the car wouldn't start again, so had to push it the rest of the way in. I have to say, that I don't like starting the car or moving it now. It was starting to look like a rolling death trap

I took a Magic Eraser to the interior today. Got the drivers door done, the lip of the dash pad, and the rear quarters also. They cleaned up REALLY nice
    Put my Ford speakers in the rear quarters
    Got one of the rear windows working
    And started stripping the car for body work.
    Pictures-

I like the wheels a lot

-Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

No more el cheapo door bump strips!

She's blind

Last edited by Mustang Kid; 03-04-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

So now that it has been established that the car has a bad engine, tranny and needs brake work, your stripping it for paint? I'm just a little confused, I would tackle the mechanical issues first, but maybe I missed something?
    '85 1E GT ~ Terminator swap in progress

I have to agree on that part. Seems weird to paint a car you can't drive. Why not get it where you can drive it before you spend all the money on paint?
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Sorry to hear the car won't run. I felt like I could feel your disappointment while reading your post. Seems like you and your Dad are pretty good about getting deals when it comes to cars so hopefully you can score a drivetrain at a good price. Since the original engine is toast, maybe you could put a 302 in her? Anyway, don't give up and I hope it all works out for you.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by FastFox View Post
    So now that it has been established that the car has a bad engine, tranny and needs brake work, your stripping it for paint? I'm just a little confused, I would tackle the mechanical issues first, but maybe I missed something?
    It will take a little while before I find a usable V6 to put in her. Figured get the body work done before my dad moves out of his shop and paint it in a few months. Its not getting paint yet

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear86 View Post
    Sorry to hear the car won't run. I felt like I could feel your disappointment while reading your post. Seems like you and your Dad are pretty good about getting deals when it comes to cars so hopefully you can score a drivetrain at a good price. Since the original engine is toast, maybe you could put a 302 in her? Anyway, don't give up and I hope it all works out for you.
    Thanks We already have a couple 5.0 verts, and I have been wanting a V6 car, and it will be a lot easier to put another V6 in.
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

Too bad you weren't closer, I have a complete and running v6/auto setup with ~93k from my '86 notchback project that's taking up garage space.

Good luck with your project!
    86 Mustang LX
    79 Capri

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobey View Post
    Too bad you weren't closer, I have a complete and running v6/auto setup with ~93k from my '86 notchback project that's taking up garage space.

Good luck with your project!
    I too wish either you or I was closer. I really wanna get this car on the road. I have 6 foxbodies, and I am unable to and haven't driven any of them.
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

Default Page 3 in Online Car Show section? Unacceptable!

Time for an update!!!
    Started some body work. Pulled the dent that was in the trunk lid, and circled all the other dents that have to come out.
    Finally got 2 more speakers wired up. Until I get new door panels(or really nice used) and new front speakers in the future, I will keep the door speakers and have aftermarket ones for the rear that came out of my Capri. I don't know how I am going to mount them yet, or where. I want to keep the factory speakers I put in the factory spots alone.

I'll let the pics show more of the progress

Finally got the dash out. All the screws were rusy along the defrost vents, and one stripped out. Freed the clip then the dash still wouldn't come out. A lot of pulling later I found out that part of the dash dug into the foam underside.

Original Speakers

Rusty!

You can kinda see where the dash hull or something dug into the foam

Dirtay!

Figuring out factory wireing. Has aftermarket stereo plug in it, will use that when I get new front speakers.

Cleaned the dash pad with a magic eraser

-Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

I like this dash cover. Covers up all the faded ugliness

If my car gets stolen...

Clean, but still needs more detail cleaning. I am starting to have OCD when it comes to cleaning this interior. But a controlable OCD

Have some Maverick door handles that may go in if they are the same.

My ghetto speaker placings LOL

And what do you guys think about this? My dad got these from a friend that had a 69 Sprint Firebird. I think they would be cool to put on if I had the $200 something dollars to put them on my car once it's all painted and street legal.

Oh yea, I also installed the cluster out of my parts car. Cleaned the hull, and put in newer Ford Crown Victoria bulbs in the red lenses. Made a heck of a difference! May post pics later.
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

Let me know if you see the red Xs. Maybe I posted too many photos LOL. Half my photos are red Xs on my computer.

EDIT: Just my browser had problems. They all show up now.
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

what better way to keep a youngling out of trouble than to feed his need for mind candy, with some good ole american iron to gnaw on.

remember: buy em books and send them to school and teach them to read and what do they do? eat the teacher.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

86 50CPRI

Keep going! It almost like looking in my own Vert interior, except I dont have power windows..cranks baby!

looks like you are making progress for sure. Did you ever find a good engine to put in it or repair the one that was in it?
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    Keep going! It almost like looking in my own Vert interior, except I dont have power windows..cranks baby!
    I shall keep goint! Manual windows are much more reliable. Work everytime

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    looks like you are making progress for sure. Did you ever find a good engine to put in it or repair the one that was in it?
    No, still haven't found a motor. Have a couple leads in CA, one is a silver coupe with RB interior. Hasn't ran in years though. And don't have the cash to rebuild my motor. With all it's problems, it's just best to find another rebuild this one in a few years. And, my dad and I have plans of saving a 79 Turbo RS sunroof Capri from the crusher

Quote Originally Posted by PIGBOY View Post
    what better way to keep a youngling out of trouble than to feed his need for mind candy, with some good ole american iron to gnaw on.

remember: buy em books and send them to school and teach them to read and what do they do? eat the teacher.
    Very True PIGBOY Alot of the kids at my school that get in trouble or do drugs have nothing better to do. I would rather smoke my tires than smoke pot!
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

Yay! Got a 85 GT front clip from a friend today for $200! Even got a foglight bar with aftermarket foglights too. Will work on setting the bumper and fenders on tomorrow

-Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

Looks like a great project and also looks like my car in a different color. Check mine out here.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=133837

The rear speakers are mounted to the plastic cover with the rear window switches?

Is that a Jaguar XKE hood?
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

4EYED85, yes that is the factory location for the rear speakers on these convertibles.

5.0 Bird, we picked that up as well. My dad will be painting the Jag it goes to for a guy in a month or two. My dad has restored everything from 80s toyotas to muscle cars to 3 of the 4 prototype Porsche 356 Speedsters.
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

I sent you a PM, but it did not show up in my sent folder. I am not hijacking but I can't find this plug on the wiring diagrams. I am wondering if you can look behind your glovebox up around the havc black box and tell me what this plug, plugs into.

I got your pm, I will look tonight if I get a chance. Where do the wires route from(up, down, left, right)?
    -Sam
    1984 Capri RS Sunroof
    1984 Mustang GT 'Vert

It comes from the main harness in the top of the dash above the hvac box. With the glove box out look straight up under the dash where the main harness runs from drivers side to passenger side. Thanks alot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast