Close

Default 83 Mexican Mustang: Horn Button?

I have the same steering wheel as this one: http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q...ng4sale018.jpg

There are two issues with mine:

1. The steel "H" spokes appear to be bent slightly, so that the outer ring/grip is a little "lower" than the center section.
    Q: Is it BENT, or did they come this way?

2. The horn button is in pieces and appears to be broken and missing some parts. What I have is the black plastic ring with the fake hex bolts and the button with the crest on it that has a steel backing plate. These two pieces are made to fit together, but there is nothing to hold them together. The steel plate has ears to make it "screw" into the center hole on the wheel.
    That's all I have.
    Q: What's missing, and what's broken? Can it be repaired?
    If you have photos of these parts INTACT, please post them. I'd like to fix it.

Here are the parts I have:

I was able to straighten the badly warped trim piece that goes around the shifter base by heating it in the oven at low heat and working it a bit. Next step is to make some new ears for the front side so it will stay on.

The base of the middle armrest is broken in half and smushed down badly. It's been that way for so long that the plastic cover is malformed. I can fix the base, but not sure about the cover. Guess I'll try fixing it, or maybe make a new one that has a hole for a cup holder. Not even one cup holder in any of my cars!

Default Center Armrest Repair

As mentioned in my last post, the center armrest/lid was smashed. Looks like there was a very heavy load resting on it for a long time (note the two strips of Velcro on top). The plastic base was broken in half, and the cover was all stretched out on the sides from being squashed for so long.

I fixed the base by making steel gussets out of old washing machine carcass and pop riveting them on. Took an hour and a half, which is fast for me.

All that's left to do is squirt a bunch of RTV silicone into the sides and clamp it overnight.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Anybody on the horn button thing?

While I'm waiting, here's before/after photos of the wheels. Took many applications of mag wheel cleaner, toothbrush and brass brush to get them clean. They look pretty dang good! Took the car on a shakedown cruise out to the county to look at a car, but never did find the guy's house. It ran well. I think the freeway driving did the carb some good.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

FEP Senior Member

Nice looking wheels... those are unique to Mexican Mustangs

On the horn button... the horn in my 84 and in my 81 is on the turn signal lever to the left. You push the lever towards the steering column to activate the horn. So the button on the steering wheel was just cosmetic. Iīve never seen an 83 inside but I bet the horn worked the same as in the other years.

Let me search for some pics locally and see if I can find you something to work with.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help with parts or research on the cars. I donīt visit this section too much because it seems to be very inactive.

FEP Senior Member

Boy is it hard to find one with the original steering wheel... back then it was so popular to change the steering wheels and stereos that thereīs barely any with the original ones...

FEP Senior Member

OK I found one!

Check this link of this car thatīs on sale. Car looks all original
    http://autos-usados.vivastreet.com.m...gente/39895028

hereīs the pic of the steering wheel